https://www.proz.com/forum/poll_discussion/301087-poll_do_your_rates_differ_depending_on_project_size.html&phpv_redirected=1

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: Do your rates differ depending on project size?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Apr 18, 2016

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do your rates differ depending on project size?".

This poll was originally submitted by Jorge Herran. View the poll results »

Susana E. Cano Méndez
Susana E. Cano Méndez  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 01:22
French to Spanish
+ ...
No, but... Apr 18, 2016

... I offer a discount if the client reaches a certain amount of words.

Elizabeth Tamblin
Elizabeth Tamblin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:22
French to English
No Apr 18, 2016

If a job takes me ten days of my time, I charge the same rate per word as a job that takes two days of my time.

Just a week ago, an agency I have done quite a lot of work for at a rate of €0.09/wd offered me a 20+ thousand word job, which I accepted at my usual rate. Shortly after, they got back to me with "sorry, someone else has agreed to do it cheaper". Quite annoying!

[Edited at 2016-04-18 08:30 GMT]

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
No Apr 18, 2016

My rates differ according to a number of factors, namely subject matter, difficulty of the text, language combination, file format, but not project size...

Anton Konashenok
Anton Konashenok  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
French to English
+ ...
No Apr 18, 2016

Rates - no, but I have a minimum charge, approximately 300 words' worth.

Ty Kendall
Ty Kendall  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Hebrew to English
Do your rates differ depending on project size? Apr 18, 2016

Susana E. Cano Méndez wrote:

No but... I offer a discount if the client reaches a certain amount of words.

So...yes?

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
You're quite right! Apr 18, 2016

Anton Konashenok wrote:

Rates - no, but I have a minimum charge, approximately 300 words' worth.

Me too, I have a minimum rate. Why is it that I only thought of large projects?

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Other Apr 18, 2016

It depends. Sometimes a client might ask for a volume discount for a large project, not realising that the more time I have to dedicate to their translation, the less I'll have to attend to my regular clients. In general, my basic rates are the same across the board. I might occasionally allow a discount for flexibility of deadline, or other reasons, but at my own discretion.

PS. For small texts, it also depends. For my best clients, I'm not averse to doing the odd freebie...
... See more
It depends. Sometimes a client might ask for a volume discount for a large project, not realising that the more time I have to dedicate to their translation, the less I'll have to attend to my regular clients. In general, my basic rates are the same across the board. I might occasionally allow a discount for flexibility of deadline, or other reasons, but at my own discretion.

PS. For small texts, it also depends. For my best clients, I'm not averse to doing the odd freebie...

[Edited at 2016-04-18 10:03 GMT]
Collapse

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:22
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
No Apr 18, 2016

Accepting a large job always has the disadvantage that it keeps me from working for the rest of my clients. It really peeves me when they try to suggest that they are doing me a big favor and I should be so happy that I'm willing to reduce my rate.

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Yes to minimum, no to volume Apr 18, 2016

It's a time thing. If you had to issue an invoice for every small job, you throw in administration costs.

And who works any faster at a per-hour pace with 40000 words than 400?

Time is a scarce resource. It goes the way of fossil fuels, except that it doesn't replenish at all.

Yetta Jensen Bogarde
Yetta Jensen Bogarde  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2012)
English to Danish
+ ...
No Apr 18, 2016

I do charge a minimum fee, but offer a freebee if it's just a few words.

Otherwise, I have the same reaction as most of you:
Discount for big volumes does not make any sense, why cannot the agencies get that into their heads?
Either they are not seeing things realistically from our side - or they think we have so little work that we are desperate to get as much as possible from one client.

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
No Apr 18, 2016

I am always fully booked, so there is no spare capacity. I charge a minimum rate too, unless the job is quick and tiny.

If I have to turn down better paid jobs because I am busy with a big one, I lose out.

There may be less administration on bigger jobs, but it takes longer to check consistency, coordinate the different sections etc.

I actually prefer smaller jobs, and get tired of bigger ones - I have to press myself to go on after a while. That is a matte
... See more
I am always fully booked, so there is no spare capacity. I charge a minimum rate too, unless the job is quick and tiny.

If I have to turn down better paid jobs because I am busy with a big one, I lose out.

There may be less administration on bigger jobs, but it takes longer to check consistency, coordinate the different sections etc.

I actually prefer smaller jobs, and get tired of bigger ones - I have to press myself to go on after a while. That is a matter of personal preference, but if I do take on a big job, I need plenty of incentive!
Collapse

Nikki Scott-Despaigne
Nikki Scott-Despaigne  Identity Verified
French to English
Yes, sometimes Apr 18, 2016

For good, faithful clients (meaning those who also pay promptly), I might round down a quote for a big job, but it is far from something I do automatically. For really big jobs, and/or with unknown clients, I will request a 30% advance. At the other end of the scale, a small job still has to be worth doing so there is a minimum charge.

Other factors also come into play, including the type of text, the level of expertise required and the quality of the original. If it's a weekend j
... See more
For good, faithful clients (meaning those who also pay promptly), I might round down a quote for a big job, but it is far from something I do automatically. For really big jobs, and/or with unknown clients, I will request a 30% advance. At the other end of the scale, a small job still has to be worth doing so there is a minimum charge.

Other factors also come into play, including the type of text, the level of expertise required and the quality of the original. If it's a weekend job, then I may also increase the rate, irrespective of the nature (size, compelxity) of the text. Sometimes a particular layout may also mean that the job takes more time which may ultimately be relfected in the amount I will charge. However, I think you have to accept a certain amount of variability. Some jobs are more lucrative than others.

[Edited at 2016-04-18 12:46 GMT]
Collapse

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 20:22
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
Not on project size, but significantly on payment term & method Apr 18, 2016

In Brazil, where I live, interest rates are impressive... about 15% per month (sic!).
Some payment methods (viz. PayPal) are outrageously expensive.

A few years ago I decided to opt out of providing financial services, and focus on translation. This led me to separate translation costs from financial costs.

Therefore I offer different rates for different payment terms and methods.

My rate for a client paying COD via bank transfer or P2P services (e.g.
... See more
In Brazil, where I live, interest rates are impressive... about 15% per month (sic!).
Some payment methods (viz. PayPal) are outrageously expensive.

A few years ago I decided to opt out of providing financial services, and focus on translation. This led me to separate translation costs from financial costs.

Therefore I offer different rates for different payment terms and methods.

My rate for a client paying COD via bank transfer or P2P services (e.g. Moneygram, Western Union) will be about 17% lower than for a client paying two weeks later via PayPal.

One smart touch here... my standard rate is stated for payment in 2 weeks via PayPal.

Since PayPal was devised for and is owned by eBay, they forbid and impose severe penalties upon the "seller" (viz. me) who surcharges customers for the use of their expensive service.

So I offer a 10% discount (PayPal actual fees, deducted on my side = 6.5% in fees + 3.5% in overtly lower-than-market exchange rates) to clients who don't use PayPal to pay me. As their system is not involved at all, they can't penalize me, and I am free to give discounts to anyone I wish.
Collapse

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 20:22
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Same as José Henrique Apr 18, 2016

Clients in Brazil may require an invoice or not. Invoices in Brazil represent about 15% in taxes, so I raise my rates 15% proportionally.

Other than that, my rate is fixed for all other situations, except for the fact that I'm forced to have a lower rate in Brazil than I am able to charge abroad.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do your rates differ depending on project size?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »