Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: Do your rates differ depending on project size?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:26
English to Spanish
+ ...
Of course they differ Apr 18, 2016

I am moving towards charging a fee or rate for a project, not based on word count. Charging per word is becoming pasé in my corner of the world.

Careful planning goes into calculating what fee to charge for a single project, whether it's a 10-page document or a 50-page report. There's always some risk of undercharging.

However, I still have longtime clients who request a per-word fee because they have a per-word budget. I charge them accordingly.

I don't o
... See more
I am moving towards charging a fee or rate for a project, not based on word count. Charging per word is becoming pasé in my corner of the world.

Careful planning goes into calculating what fee to charge for a single project, whether it's a 10-page document or a 50-page report. There's always some risk of undercharging.

However, I still have longtime clients who request a per-word fee because they have a per-word budget. I charge them accordingly.

I don't offer discounts under any circumstances. Some CAT tool users misuse the tool features to calculate fuzzy matches and such to offer discounts, which is a) wrong and b) boneheaded.
Collapse

Susana E. Cano Méndez
Susana E. Cano Méndez  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 05:26
French to Spanish
+ ...
YES! Apr 18, 2016

Ty Kendall wrote:

Susana E. Cano Méndez wrote:

No but... I offer a discount if the client reaches a certain amount of words.

So...yes?

LOL. OK, you are probably right.... I suppose an economist would say that lowering rates is different from a discount.

[Edited at 2016-04-18 16:56 GMT]

Susana E. Cano Méndez
Spain
French to Spanish
+ ...
Marketing Apr 18, 2016

neilmac wrote:

For my best clients, I'm not averse to doing the odd freebie...

Yes, I also do this.

Along with discounts for my best clients AND a minimum fare, how could I possibly charge a good good client for 50 words? It' just some old school marketing.

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:26
English to Spanish
+ ...
How? You just do it. Apr 18, 2016

neilmac wrote:

Yes, I also do this.

Along with discounts for my best clients AND a minimum fare, how could I possibly charge a good good client for 50 words? It' just some old school marketing.

No old-school marketing schmarketing. Many times, 50 words take as much translating effort as 500 words. If you are in the habit of throwing your good work and effort away, you're setting a precedent and leaving the impression that anyone can do 50 words for nothing. Not very ethical in my opinion.

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
Yes Apr 19, 2016

My rates really depend on very many factors, including a project size.

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 00:26
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Different styles, different ways of thinking Apr 19, 2016

Mario Chavez wrote:

neilmac wrote:

Yes, I also do this.

No old-school marketing schmarketing. Many times, 50 words take as much translating effort as 500 words. If you are in the habit of throwing your good work and effort away, you're setting a precedent and leaving the impression that anyone can do 50 words for nothing. Not very ethical in my opinion.

Fully agree with Susana and Neilmac, and done it several times fully satisfying the client and myself. One of the reasons why I have long logn and good good clients.

Anna Spanoudaki-Thurm
Anna Spanoudaki-Thurm  Identity Verified
Germany
German to Greek
+ ...
Off topic Apr 19, 2016

Mario Freitas wrote:

Clients in Brazil may require an invoice or not. Invoices in Brazil represent about 15% in taxes, so I raise my rates 15% proportionally.

Other than that, my rate is fixed for all other situations, except for the fact that I'm forced to have a lower rate in Brazil than I am able to charge abroad.

Do you pay more taxes if you issue an invoice? Why?
How much do you pay if you do not issue one?

Susana E. Cano Méndez
Spain
French to Spanish
+ ...
Your ethics Apr 19, 2016

Mario Chavez wrote:

Fortunately, ethics is private while epic is public. I have my own, thanks. It would probably be a good idea to analyze yours before judging others.

I have said: for good good clients. Even my fruit seller does it!

Susana E. Cano Méndez
Spain
French to Spanish
+ ...
Yes Apr 19, 2016

Mario Freitas wrote:

Fully agree with Susana and Neilmac, and done it several times fully satisfying the client and myself. One of the reasons why I have long logn and good good clients.

Yes, clients fortunately come back to us .

Mario Freitas
Brazil
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@ Anna Apr 19, 2016

Anna Spanoudaki-Thurm wrote:

Mario Freitas wrote:

Clients in Brazil may require an invoice or not. Invoices in Brazil represent about 15% in taxes, so I raise my rates 15% proportionally.

Other than that, my rate is fixed for all other situations, except for the fact that I'm forced to have a lower rate in Brazil than I am able to charge abroad.

Do you pay more taxes if you issue an invoice? Why?
How much do you pay if you do not issue one?

Ana, in Brazil invoices are fiscal invoices (nota fiscal), controlled by the government and whose main purpose is to prevent tax evasion. Five different taxes are withheld automatically upon payment of these invoices, immediately. If you issue this type of invoice (you usually have to when the client is a company), all company taxes apply immediately. Plus, you have no idea how much trouble we have to go through to be able to be registered as a supplier for a company in Brazil, and later again to be able to receive a payment. It almost makes you give up the jobs. Believe me, 15% is a very fair "extra".

If the invoice is not required, you can enter the income to your individual tax flow, apply individual tax rates and make some deductions allowed by the government. Then you have 30 days to pay or you can even chose to pay only next year, after your yearly statement.

In Brazil, there are three prices for all services. One for individuals, one for companies and one for the government. The price usually doubles from one to the other, in that order, given the levels of bureaucracy explained above.

Mario Freitas
Brazil
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Focus Apr 19, 2016

Mario Chavez wrote:

Fortunately, ethics is private while epic is public. I have my own, thanks. It would probably be a good idea to analyze yours before judging others.

I have said: for good good clients. Even my fruit seller does it!

It's a matter of commercial maturity. In time, you realize these "little favors" make a huge difference in your relationship with the clients (the good ones, as you said). When the fruit seller gives you an extra apple, he is not computing the price of that apple (if he is commercially mature); he is computing the investment of his marketing action and the return that action will give him.

Susana E. Cano Méndez
Spain
French to Spanish
+ ...
Agree Apr 21, 2016

Mario Freitas wrote:

When the fruit seller gives you an extra apple, he is not computing the price of that apple (if he is commercially mature); he is computing the investment of his marketing action and the return that action will give him.

Yes, I agree: this should be added to the investment part of our accountig system (if any).

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do your rates differ depending on project size?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »