Poll: Do you have insurance for your work equipment (PCs, printers, etc.)?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff

ProZ.com Staff
Local time: 23:39
SITE STAFF
Apr 16, 2016

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you have insurance for your work equipment (PCs, printers, etc.)?".

View the poll results »

Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:39
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Homeowners insurance Apr 16, 2016

The deductable is rather high, but it would pay for a part of a new computer if the computer was stolen or damaged due to a freak accident - not as a result of a simple "crash."

[Edited at 2016-04-16 09:20 GMT]

Teresa Borges
Portugal
Local time: 07:39
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Home insurance Apr 16, 2016

My home insurance covers only minor damages on work equipment, such as computers and printers. I had a separate business insurance policy when some years ago I had a separate office, but not anymore.

DZiW
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
No guarantee Apr 16, 2016

No, because I see no point having one, yet for my job security there're several PC's and notebooks, and a couple of scanners and color/laser printers, not to mention a two-year warranty on my new notebook.

SteveMcD  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:39
Member (2012)
German to English
Not specifically Apr 16, 2016

My home insurance covers everything.

José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 04:39
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
Other - home insurance Apr 16, 2016

Muriel Vasconcellos wrote:

The deductible is rather high, but it would pay for a part of a new computer if the computer was stolen or damaged due to a freak accident - not as a result of a simple "crash."

They are all covered by my blanket home insurance policy against fire, theft, flood (on the 11th floor on a hillside? - Noah would drift by in his ark!), quakes (fortunately unavailable in Brazil), plane crash, etc.

Both my car and home (different companies) insurance policies include free IT tech support, however I tried both and they are quite lame. When an issue is bad enough to puzzle me, their tech guys are completely baffled.

However I have no insurance for data loss nor ceasing profits resulting from damaged IT equipment.

It may be some twisted form of insurance, however since forever I have been using only PAID e-mail services, run by wealthy-enough-to-be-worth-suing companies who explicitly include data security in their e-mail services.

A few fellow translators have noticed the Gmail user agreement clauses that allow Google to use (viz. index and publish) any info going through their FREE e-mail service that they consider worth disclosing. Some food for thought here.

Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Home insurance Apr 16, 2016

Like other colleagues, my home insurance covers the hardware (in the set of contents, but not individually). It does not cover software or any contents, though. I'm not sure, but I doubt very much the cost of a specific insurance for that purpose would be feasible as compared to the value of the items.

Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
German to English
Home insurance? Apr 16, 2016

José Henrique Lamensdorf wrote:

A few fellow translators have noticed the Gmail user agreement clauses that allow Google to use (viz. index and publish) any info going through their FREE e-mail service that they consider worth disclosing. Some food for thought here.

One of the very reasons why I PAY for my provider.

I think our invisible friend may want to sell insurance??

Miroslav Jeftic  Identity Verified
Member (2009)
English to Serbian
+ ...
Nope Apr 16, 2016

Don't have it, the work equipment usually has manufacturer's warranty 2-5 yrs depending on the equipment and manufacturer, after that expires I usually replace it anyway.

José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
I don't get it Apr 16, 2016

Michael Harris wrote:

Who is selling insurance here?
I don't use Gmail, Yahoo, etc.

I merely pointed out that there is no free lunch.
A free services provider is not liable for anything.

Translation:
"Tell me when I bump."
"10:45."

Reed James
Chile
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
Yes, but not called insurance per se Apr 16, 2016

No reason to insure hardware. A new computer is not prohibitively expensive and would be a "forced upgrade". The data is what counts! First off, all software can be downloaded from the Internet. Second, if everything is in the cloud, even if your backup hard drive is fried, you at least have all your data and after the tedium of setting up your new machine, you're ready to go. Simple as that.

Andy Watkinson
Spain
Catalan to English
+ ...
Erm... Apr 16, 2016

Michael Harris wrote:

Who is selling insurance here?
I don't use Gmail, Yahoo, etc.

I merely pointed out that there is no free lunch.
A free services provider is not liable for anything.

I believe Michael was referring to our invisible topic poster, not you. Coz you're not really invisible, are you?

Rebecca Garber  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:39
Member (2005)
German to English
+ ...
homeowner's insurance Apr 17, 2016

There's a deductible, but it would pay for replacement costs if my computers were damaged or stolen.
Since it appears that a lot of translators have a home office, it makes sense that they use their homeowner's or renter's insurance to cover their offices, instead of having a specific rider.

Tania McConaghy  Identity Verified
Sweden
Member (2009)
Swedish to English
+ ...
separate insurance Apr 18, 2016

My homeowner's insurance only covers items that I own personally, not the property of my business. We are separate legal entities, so to speak. So I have separate insurance to cover everything owned by my company.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you have insurance for your work equipment (PCs, printers, etc.)?

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
SDL Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within SDL Trados Studio

SDL Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search