https://www.proz.com/forum/poll_discussion/300937-poll_do_you_use_pinterest_to_promote_your_business.html&phpv_redirected=1

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: Do you use Pinterest to promote your business?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Apr 14, 2016

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you use Pinterest to promote your business?".

This poll was originally submitted by TB CommuniCAT. View the poll results »

Michael Harris
Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 11:31
Member (2006)
German to English
Goood, Apr 14, 2016

okay, what is Pinterest?

Don´t know, don´t care and don´t have time to look into it☺

[Edited at 2016-04-14 11:20 GMT]

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 10:31
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Never heard of them! Apr 14, 2016

Apparently, they need to promote their business...

Sharon Toh, MITI MCIL
Sharon Toh, MITI MCIL
Singapore
Local time: 17:31
Member (2009)
Chinese to English
+ ...
Same here Apr 14, 2016

Michael Harris wrote:

okay, what is Pinterest?

Don´t know, don´t care and don´t have time to look into it☺

[Edited at 2016-04-14 08:19 GMT]

Julian Holmes
Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 18:31
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
Nope! Apr 14, 2016

Teresa Borges wrote:

Ha ha!

Nope! Ne'er heard of them thar folk.
Not 'Pinterested' either! Think I'll go back to mah moonshine and watch'n reruns of Deliverance.

Miroslav Jeftic
Miroslav Jeftic  Identity Verified
Member (2009)
English to Serbian
+ ...
:)) Apr 14, 2016

Teresa Borges wrote:

Boom! Haha

Noni Gilbert Riley
Noni Gilbert Riley
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Teachers Apr 14, 2016

I was giving a seminar recently at a Teacher Professional Development Centre, and the subject came up. I was surprised to discover that what I thought was a site for showing off your latest fashion choices, ie of no possible interest to me, turns out to be used by teachers in Spain to share teaching material, and be veery popular for this. So in one context it is being used in a professional manner.

But I find it difficult to see how it could promote my translation business. Any sug
... See more
I was giving a seminar recently at a Teacher Professional Development Centre, and the subject came up. I was surprised to discover that what I thought was a site for showing off your latest fashion choices, ie of no possible interest to me, turns out to be used by teachers in Spain to share teaching material, and be veery popular for this. So in one context it is being used in a professional manner.

But I find it difficult to see how it could promote my translation business. Any suggestions?
Collapse

Rosa Plana Castillón
Rosa Plana Castillón
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
I actually do! Apr 14, 2016

I use it to compile the cover of all the books that I have translated. In case you want to know what I'm talking about:

https://uk.pinterest.com/planalistas/pins/

However, I learned recently that you cannot browse Pinterest without an account (non-members get a big shaded banner that prevents them from viewing the content), so I will probably have to set up something e
... See more
I use it to compile the cover of all the books that I have translated. In case you want to know what I'm talking about:

https://uk.pinterest.com/planalistas/pins/

However, I learned recently that you cannot browse Pinterest without an account (non-members get a big shaded banner that prevents them from viewing the content), so I will probably have to set up something else soon...
Collapse

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:31
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Other - I use it to promote my other businesses Apr 14, 2016

I'm a Pinterest junkie. I "pin" whenever I'm talking on the phone. I don't have a board for my translation business, but it's a good idea. I do have a board to promote my memoir:
https://www.pinterest.com/livinginvincibl/finding-my-invincible-summer/

I also have 24 boards devoted to my other business, landscape design. While translation is my full
... See more
I'm a Pinterest junkie. I "pin" whenever I'm talking on the phone. I don't have a board for my translation business, but it's a good idea. I do have a board to promote my memoir:
https://www.pinterest.com/livinginvincibl/finding-my-invincible-summer/

I also have 24 boards devoted to my other business, landscape design. While translation is my full-time job, I am a certified landscape designer and I have a few clients. I use the boards on different subjects to give my clients ideas: plan view layouts, bed design, containers, fences, gates, paving, water features, pools, fire pits, lighting, ornament, slopes, pathways, etc., plus 10 more boards on different types of plants.

[Edited at 2016-04-14 10:10 GMT]
Collapse

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
What is it.... and NO Apr 14, 2016

Nah. I'm lucky enough to not have to promote my 'business'. Even if I tell clients to sod off they still come back....

Erzsébet Czopyk
Erzsébet Czopyk  Identity Verified
Hungary
Member (2006)
Russian to Hungarian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
No(t yet) Apr 14, 2016

But as anything new, why not? I will take a look. I used Pinterest until now for my hobby only (cross-stitch, building and decorating a tiny doll house and Herend porcelaine collection). Maybe it is a good idea but it came never to my mind until now.

[Edited at 2016-04-14 10:40 GMT]

Alexandra Speirs
Alexandra Speirs  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
Exactly! Apr 14, 2016

neilmac wrote:

Nah. I'm lucky enough to not have to promote my 'business'. Even if I tell clients to sod off they still come back....

Noni Gilbert Riley
Noni Gilbert Riley
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
While it is true that ... Apr 14, 2016

... at the moment, there is no section on Pinterest about translating, if someone were to push for it, it might not be a bad thing.

I'm surprised we're being so negative largely: this could be quite a useful way of spreading the word on the subject of what constitutes a good translation - and what constitutes a bad one.

But.... time is always the issue. And I don't want to find myself wasting more of this precious element by being distracted!

... See more
... at the moment, there is no section on Pinterest about translating, if someone were to push for it, it might not be a bad thing.

I'm surprised we're being so negative largely: this could be quite a useful way of spreading the word on the subject of what constitutes a good translation - and what constitutes a bad one.

But.... time is always the issue. And I don't want to find myself wasting more of this precious element by being distracted!

Edited to make a sentence make sense!

[Edited at 2016-04-14 11:47 GMT]
Collapse

Sophie Dzhygir
Sophie Dzhygir  Identity Verified
France
German to French
+ ...
Sorry Apr 14, 2016

Noni, I'm not negative about Pinterest in general, but I fail to understand the point here: as far as I know, Pinterest is used to publish pictures of creative things you made yourself. Of course a translation can be creative, but how would you promote it with pictures? Take a picture of your translation and publish it on Pinterest? I don't think people out there will find it very exciting to watch pictures of text. But I may be mistaken and I'd be please to read concretely how one would proceed... See more
Noni, I'm not negative about Pinterest in general, but I fail to understand the point here: as far as I know, Pinterest is used to publish pictures of creative things you made yourself. Of course a translation can be creative, but how would you promote it with pictures? Take a picture of your translation and publish it on Pinterest? I don't think people out there will find it very exciting to watch pictures of text. But I may be mistaken and I'd be please to read concretely how one would proceed to promote oneself there!Collapse

Noni Gilbert Riley
Noni Gilbert Riley
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Visuals Apr 14, 2016

As far as I can make out - and I have to say that today is the first time I have taken a closer look - although the visual presentation angle is clearly a priority, it isn't all about pictures. Many posts, or pins I think we're supposed to call them, have useful links, and you can link to your own business.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you use Pinterest to promote your business?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »