Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: Would you accept to provide interpreting services in a conflict zone?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Mykola Khandoga
Mykola Khandoga  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 19:43
Ukrainian to Russian
+ ...
And how is it going? Apr 5, 2016

Maksym Petrov wrote:

I've already been doing it for nine months.

Hope you do fine there I miss our games of Preferans

Adnan Özdemir
Adnan Özdemir  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 19:43
Member (2007)
German to Turkish
+ ...
Nooo! Apr 5, 2016

I was during the Bosnian War in Bosnia and Herzegovina as a voluntary interpreter. It was very hard. No more again!

But during the Marmara Earthquakes (1999) I was soldier in Turkish Army and interpreted for rescue teams. That was OK.

[Edited at 2016-04-05 15:05 GMT]

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:43
English to Spanish
+ ...
Lucid comments Apr 5, 2016

I don't provide interpreting services. Proz's byline could be changed to The translation and interpretation workplace.

I would stay away from armed conflicts. Of course, when I was young, I thought differently.

One might think, when young, that one is doing an altruistic thing, risking her life for the good of others. It is easy to forget, as a young person, that other people already depend on us staying alive. We just don't see it when we are that young.

Victoria Britten
Victoria Britten  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 18:43
French to English
+ ...
If... Apr 5, 2016

IF I lived in a conflict zone, and IF my languages were useful, then yes, without hesitation. I'm not a trained interpreter, however, so it wouldn't be any high-end diplomatic stuff; I'm more imagining the kind of thing that just basically helps people of different languages to communicate with each other. But I have neither the training nor the courage to hop on a plane and head to the heart of horror.

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Other Apr 5, 2016

If I offered interpreting services, I definitely would.

Hussein Dayow Idow
Hussein Dayow Idow  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:43
Somali to English
+ ...
yes, Apr 6, 2016

already did it for 11 months but I prefer in a safer zone. is not easy outside there. is very shocking.

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
no Apr 6, 2016

but I'm just starting to work in the refugee camps in France providing support for the refugees as a volunteer

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Would you accept to provide interpreting services in a conflict zone?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »