Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: Have you ever interrupted a project because of any reason?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Feb 3, 2016

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Have you ever interrupted a project because of any reason?".

This poll was originally submitted by Mohamed Kamel. View the poll results »

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 13:12
Spanish to English
+ ...
Other Feb 3, 2016

I suppose I must've done. In fact, I have a vague recollection of having had to do so at least a couple of times, however I simply don't remember the details, nor do I need to (otherwise I would remember). Sometimes clients order a translation on behalf of a third party who then lets them down, cancels the order etc, but even when I'm ill I always try to fulfil my commitments. I once finished a translation job from a hospital bed with a broken arm.

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
? Feb 3, 2016

I go to the loo every now and again

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:12
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Yes, a couple of times Feb 3, 2016

I understand this to mean stop working on a project. Once I was asked to review a poor translation that was also very long. I had an infection in my eye and ended up returning it to the client.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 12:12
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Other Feb 3, 2016

Yes, all the time (unless the project is a very short one…) to have a meal, drink an espresso, go “walkies” with my dog and other breaks for whatever reason.

But assuming that what was meant here was abandon instead of interrupt then my answer will be: no. The only serious illness I had was not sudden and I had enough time to prepare myself (and my clients) for my surgical intervention and the weeks of recovery that followed. In the meantime all projects were translated by a
... See more
Yes, all the time (unless the project is a very short one…) to have a meal, drink an espresso, go “walkies” with my dog and other breaks for whatever reason.

But assuming that what was meant here was abandon instead of interrupt then my answer will be: no. The only serious illness I had was not sudden and I had enough time to prepare myself (and my clients) for my surgical intervention and the weeks of recovery that followed. In the meantime all projects were translated by a trusted colleague and reviewed by me.
Collapse

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
When clients cancel... Feb 3, 2016

... and once, which was a little bitter -

I was working hard at an interesting project for a good client. I found the mail again to check the deadline - and there wasn't one - the client had never actually confirmed the order!

That was many years ago, but I have not forgotten it!

Clients have cancelled several times, and on one occasion I handed a job over to a colleague in-house - I was seeing double with migraine, and the job couldn't wait.

... See more
... and once, which was a little bitter -

I was working hard at an interesting project for a good client. I found the mail again to check the deadline - and there wasn't one - the client had never actually confirmed the order!

That was many years ago, but I have not forgotten it!

Clients have cancelled several times, and on one occasion I handed a job over to a colleague in-house - I was seeing double with migraine, and the job couldn't wait.

Most of my jobs are small, however, so they are usually done before they get cancelled. But naturally, I take normal breaks like everyone else.
Collapse

EvaVer (X)
EvaVer (X)  Identity Verified
Czech to French
+ ...
I don't really understand the question Feb 3, 2016

and from the answers of others, I see I am not alone. Depending on the meaning, my answers are the same as above.

Julian Holmes
Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 20:12
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
Ditto Feb 3, 2016

To EvaVer's response

If it means that I have ever abandoned a project midway excluding mitigating circumstances, no.

Once conditions are agreed upon and in place, I see them out to the bitter end.

Armorel Young
Armorel Young  Identity Verified
German to English
Depends what you mean Feb 3, 2016

I've often interrupted work on a lengthy project lasting weeks or months to fit in shorter assignments - I take the view that anything of 500 words or less can normally be fitted in regardless of what larger projects I am working on.

Jon Hedemann
Jon Hedemann  Identity Verified
Denmark
English to Danish
+ ...
Interrupted...? Feb 3, 2016

Interrupted...? Do you mean "cancelled"...?

Alexandra Speirs
Alexandra Speirs  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
had to give up ... Feb 3, 2016

in the case of family bereavement.

Apart from that, even when I had a couple of days in hospital I kept a fairly big job and finished it when I got out.

Gianluca Marras
Gianluca Marras  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
if interrupt means cancel... Feb 3, 2016

Once, when my father's health got worse and I needed to start traveling from one city to another to talk with doctors

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 08:12
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
A few times, but Feb 3, 2016

always upon the client's request. I never interrupted a project for my own reasons, if that was the question.

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Not abandoned, no Feb 3, 2016

I can't claim to have scheduled in my emergency appendectomy, but it did come at a "good" time. I was able to take a couple of days off without inconveniencing translation clients. I did need to cancel a few English lessons though as driving was difficult for a week.

Wilsonn Perez Reyes
Wilsonn Perez Reyes  Identity Verified
El Salvador
Local time: 05:12
Member (2007)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Irrelevant Feb 3, 2016

Sorry, but i find this question is largely irrelevant.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Have you ever interrupted a project because of any reason?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »