Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: Have you ever been criticized by a relative for translating a lot?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Jan 25, 2016

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Have you ever been criticized by a relative for translating a lot?".

This poll was originally submitted by Salman Rostami. View the poll results »

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 01:30
Spanish to English
+ ...
Other Jan 25, 2016

Not really criticised per se, but family and friends sometimes express reget that I can't be more available to socilaise with them. For example, I was working over the whole 2-week Christmas period this year and didn't make it to visit my best friends, who I always see at least once at this time of year (I'll see them in summer when they come to Spain, and I'll have more free time then too).

Salman Rostami
Salman Rostami  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 16:30
Member (2009)
English to Persian (Farsi)
+ ...
Thank you"Neilmac"! Jan 25, 2016

Thank you"Neilmac" for sharing your experience. I had the same situation 2 years ago and my wife was very angry with me because she didn't like to go to New Year parties alone!

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:30
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Other Jan 25, 2016

I took the question literally. I live alone with my dogs. They complain, but we're not related (as far as I know).

That said, I have a very friendly neighborhood and I have huge problem with friends and neighbors who expect me to be available just because I'm "home." They can't understand how costly their interruptions are.

Andrea Garfield-Barkworth
Andrea Garfield-Barkworth  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2015)
German to English
Agree with you on that one Muriel Jan 25, 2016

Strange how people never seem to equate working at the computer with earning money ergo not working at the computer means not earning money.

I suppose it's because most employees have paid holidays and sick pay. Annoying though.

And that interruptions can ruin a train of thought...

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
No Jan 25, 2016

Given that the rest of my family are a bunch of scrounging spongers who are entirely dependent on me financially, they'd be ill-advised to do so.

I don't work evenings and weekends anyway. Contrary to the prevailing view on here, being a freelance translator doesn't mean work has to take over your entire life.

Kristina Cosumano (X)
Kristina Cosumano (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
Once, Jan 25, 2016

and not even criticized per se – my partner was out of sorts when I got so caught up in a row of "urgent!" translations that I worked straight through the morning and completely forgot I had promised to do some work for him. I had also forgotten to stop to make lunch.
He's a workaholic too, to he understood (once he had something to eat).

Elizabeth Tamblin
Elizabeth Tamblin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:30
French to English
No, never Jan 25, 2016

Most of my relatives are blissfully unaware of my translation activities, as they live a fair distance from us. As for my husband, he works long hours at home as an app developer, so he doesn't mind how much I work.

Chié_JP
Chié_JP
Japan
Local time: 08:30
Member (2013)
English to Japanese
+ ...
Not from relatives... Jan 25, 2016

I used to end up staying on my PC almost all day, but fortunately enough, actual working period in a day is (I believe) a bit less than that of notoriously long Japanese working hours...(unless I stagger with less priority emails and old invoices, PC setting improvement etc)

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Other Jan 25, 2016

Just like Neil not really criticized per se, but one of my daughters seems to understand the meaning of freelancing as being able to leave everything behind every time she needs me for whatever.

I have also been invited to family parties at very short notice because… I’m my own boss!

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
He mutters, but doesn't criticise Jan 25, 2016

My husband is a retired workaholic, and if he didn't have the garden to keep in order and the meals to cook, he'd go spare! He knows about work and deadlines, and I don't overdo it much anyway. I do work evenings and occasionally Saturdays while my husband watches football, but that suits both of us.

Chris S wrote:

I don't work evenings and weekends anyway. Contrary to the prevailing view on here, being a freelance translator doesn't mean work has to take over your entire life.

Precisely!
What is the point of earning a living, if you don't live when you have earned it?

[Edited at 2016-01-25 16:25 GMT]

Rebecca Garber
Rebecca Garber  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:30
Member (2005)
German to English
+ ...
On a more humerous note: Jan 25, 2016

My family doesn't criticize. My husband is also self-employed, and it has meant that we could attend every performance and soccer game our daughter was involved in. We also both tend to work odd hours.
The extended family is somewhat concerned about our lack of paid vacation time, but they are happy to see us happy.

Our daughter recently confessed to using my translation activities to get permission to do things I am likely to reject.
She waited until I was deeply involv
... See more
My family doesn't criticize. My husband is also self-employed, and it has meant that we could attend every performance and soccer game our daughter was involved in. We also both tend to work odd hours.
The extended family is somewhat concerned about our lack of paid vacation time, but they are happy to see us happy.

Our daughter recently confessed to using my translation activities to get permission to do things I am likely to reject.
She waited until I was deeply involved in a translation and liable to surface only for a "what? ok, sure..." before getting drawn back to work, and asked then. (She was a good kid who's grown into a really nice adult, so this is more amusing than alarming.)

She also doesn't think I socialize enough, so was thrilled when I joined a reading group, even though it would be through skype, as the others live in Cambridge, MA. Then she found out it was a medieval manuscript translation reading group. I apparently 'failed' in an epic manner.
Collapse

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
My children used to do exactly the same thing... Jan 25, 2016

Rebecca Garber wrote:

She waited until I was deeply involved in a translation and liable to surface only for a "what? ok, sure..." before getting drawn back to work, and asked then. (She was a good kid who's grown into a really nice adult, so this is more amusing than alarming.)

And all three turned out alright!

Yetta Jensen Bogarde
Yetta Jensen Bogarde  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2012)
English to Danish
+ ...
No, Jan 25, 2016

but some friends think I am 'too isolated' and do not realize that there is plenty of human communication online.

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:30
English to Spanish
+ ...
The ostracized translator speaks Jan 25, 2016

My baby sister told me once that I had removed myself from family by living so far away (she lives in Utah with husband and child; I live in Ohio).

It is true that outsiders, even loved ones, don't usually fully understand how invested we are in what we do in our fancy schmancy home office. Wait, don't tell me you don't have a fancy home office!

Seriously, I enjoyed reading everyone's experiences with loved ones, relatives, and friends: too isolated, not socializing eno
... See more
My baby sister told me once that I had removed myself from family by living so far away (she lives in Utah with husband and child; I live in Ohio).

It is true that outsiders, even loved ones, don't usually fully understand how invested we are in what we do in our fancy schmancy home office. Wait, don't tell me you don't have a fancy home office!

Seriously, I enjoyed reading everyone's experiences with loved ones, relatives, and friends: too isolated, not socializing enough, etc. Muriel's dogs feeling neglected, etc.

I would add a sinister side to someone who lives with you and you work as a translator: my ex wife thought that I could make a lot of money by working from home. How did she get that idea, if I never showed her my financial statements, I'll never know.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Have you ever been criticized by a relative for translating a lot?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »