Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: Do you usually receive more job offers when you are busy working on other projects?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
DianeGM
DianeGM  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:17
Member (2006)
Dutch to English
+ ...
It does seem like that ... Jan 22, 2016

but I am sure it isn't really.

For example, this time of year I am busy translating company annual accounts and annual reports, so it makes sense that I have multiple requests for translating other annual accounts and other annual reports. It's not a conspiracy - it's just that time of year.

As others mentioned I have also noticed that weekly cycle of a slow start to the week on Monday morning building up to a crashing wave of job offers on a Friday afternoon, particula
... See more
but I am sure it isn't really.

For example, this time of year I am busy translating company annual accounts and annual reports, so it makes sense that I have multiple requests for translating other annual accounts and other annual reports. It's not a conspiracy - it's just that time of year.

As others mentioned I have also noticed that weekly cycle of a slow start to the week on Monday morning building up to a crashing wave of job offers on a Friday afternoon, particularly but not only with agencies. I always imagined that was the trickle down effect of their clear desk policies.
Collapse

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:17
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
It certainly seems so Jan 22, 2016

Last year I went 7 months without a single break, even on weekends. Jobs kept coming in when I already had other assignments. The clients said they could wait. As a result, the pile in my inbox kept getting bigger.

Ilan Rubin (X)
Ilan Rubin (X)  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 08:17
Russian to English
Price differentiation? Jan 22, 2016

Texte Style wrote:

Monday morning, seems like all of France is in a meeting.
Some jobs start trickling in Monday afternoon.

Here's a thought: if you can anticipate quiet periods have you considered offering a discount for that period, e.g. a discount on Mondays? Has anybody tried it? What happened?

Sadek_A
Sadek_A  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:17
English to Arabic
+ ...
Indicators Jan 22, 2016

Teresa Borges wrote:

Sadek_A wrote:

Teresa Borges wrote:

Projects have a strange tendency to come in groups, meaning that some days I have none at all or only a small number and then suddenly it looks as if the world is going to end!

I'm familiar with this tendency. And, it is not necessarily a coincidence.

Some of my clients were secretly collaborating together, and they used to make their orders synchronously each and every time.

I didn't confront them, but rather did let go of the least favorable of them to see what happens. Following that, the rest of them became 'expectedly' inactive.

My theory is that they are mentally-unstable, sadistic clients who like to put the professional under a great pressure against the buck they pay, hoping to break them when they accept all the orders or at least make them feel torn when they reject some of the orders.

Good clients are like good bosses, they think of you as a human being and care about your health and sanity.

I was relieved to part ways with them.

In my case, I’m sure (I’ve been working with some of them for over 20 years) this is just pure and simple coincidence and no one is pulling the strings of an elaborate machination to make my life difficult. Freelancing by definition is a rollercoaster of peaks and troughs…

As long as the 'coincidence' doesn't happen each and every time, you have no reason to be suspicious. There are still good clients in the world, that's for sure.

Sadek_A
Sadek_A  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:17
English to Arabic
+ ...
Absolutely Jan 22, 2016

Chris S wrote:

Sadek_A wrote:

Some of my clients were secretly collaborating together, and they used to make their orders synchronously each and every time.

My theory is that they are mentally-unstable, sadistic clients who like to put the professional under a great pressure against the buck they pay, hoping to break them when they accept all the orders or at least make them feel torn when they reject some of the orders.

You took the words right out of my mouth. Only you were being serious.

I'm 100% serious. During that period, I suffered a lot.

At the beginning (while I was still thinking it's a coincidence), I used to accept all of their projects and deliver within their tight deadlines.

Later (when the 'coincidence' became an established habit), I tried to negotiate deadlines so that not all projects are required at the same time. However, they were always keen and insistent on having me do all the work simultaneously.

Then, I decided it wasn't good for my health to keep like that anymore. It isn't good for anybody's health.

Their projects covered several domains and weren't that urgent, but the folks were on a mission to suck the life out of their service provider for the payment made.

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 02:17
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Coincidence? Superstition? Jan 23, 2016

There is no scientific grounds for any assertion in this sense. It may happen, but it's a pure coincidence. Unless, of course, as mentioned by Sadek.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you usually receive more job offers when you are busy working on other projects?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »