Poll: How do you keep your accounting/taxes?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Jan 21, 2016

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "How do you keep your accounting/taxes?".

This poll was originally submitted by Francesca Battaglia. View the poll results »

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 05:20
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Private accountant Jan 21, 2016

I do my own invoicing but I have an accountant for the monthly VAT returns, the yearly listing and all the other financial statements. He is worth every euro I pay him!

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 06:20
Spanish to English
+ ...
Other Jan 21, 2016

I keep a note myself of all the bills I issue to clients. Towards the end of every quarter, I send/take the list of bills issued to my "gestor", which I suppose you could call a consultant, for want of a better translation. I also take him any invoices I have that might be VAT-deductible, although the amount allowed is so negligible and the hassle involved keeping track of it so time-consuming that I hardly bother about that nowadays. He then proceeds to do the calculation and prepares the tax r... See more
I keep a note myself of all the bills I issue to clients. Towards the end of every quarter, I send/take the list of bills issued to my "gestor", which I suppose you could call a consultant, for want of a better translation. I also take him any invoices I have that might be VAT-deductible, although the amount allowed is so negligible and the hassle involved keeping track of it so time-consuming that I hardly bother about that nowadays. He then proceeds to do the calculation and prepares the tax return for me. I then take it to the bank and pay it.

I know that you can do all that kind of thing yourself online nowadays, but I simply don't trust the Spanish tax authorities on issues like telling me what I can deduct and what I can't... and other things, based on knowledge acquired through experience and the school of hard knocks.
Collapse

Michael Harris
Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
German to English
Accountant Jan 21, 2016

He costs me about €2500 / year, but compared to the tax I save through the "legal" tricks, he is well worth it.
I used to do a lot by mayself, but noticed that I was spending too much time with sorting everything instead of translating.
And I can also get his costs back as normal business costs.

And since then, I have never had to make extra payments to the tax office.

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:20
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Accountant Jan 21, 2016

He does my U.S. taxes at the end of the year, but I manage all my data in spreadsheets, which I turn over to him.

Fortunately, I don't have to worry about VAT or any other paperwork.

Lenka Červená
Lenka Červená  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2014)
English to Czech
+ ...
Easily ;) Jan 21, 2016

I am so lucky and happy, as my mother is an accountant with a large experience, so I only give her all the evidence and she does it all for free - well, for the love for her child

EvaVer (X)
EvaVer (X)  Identity Verified
Czech to French
+ ...
I cannot imagine Jan 21, 2016

not having control of my accounting. It is not only for the IRS (well, the local equivalent), it contains a lot of important information that I couldn't do without.

Melissa McMahon
Melissa McMahon  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 14:20
French to English
Ambiguous question? Jan 21, 2016

I keep my own accounts, but visit a tax agent once a year to prepare my tax return.

I suppose "other" covers "a bit of both".

Melissa

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 01:20
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
All by myself Jan 22, 2016

I'm also an accountant, though not a practician.
But I don't have a company. I work as an independent translator, and pay less taxes. Of course I have a hard time with certain clients, but it doesn't really make a difference. I tried to open a company once, and I loss so many individual rights, and had so much trouble with bureaucracy, I closed it three months later and never opened another one. BTW I do not intend to reopen it ever again.
Freelancer and self-employed is just perfec
... See more
I'm also an accountant, though not a practician.
But I don't have a company. I work as an independent translator, and pay less taxes. Of course I have a hard time with certain clients, but it doesn't really make a difference. I tried to open a company once, and I loss so many individual rights, and had so much trouble with bureaucracy, I closed it three months later and never opened another one. BTW I do not intend to reopen it ever again.
Freelancer and self-employed is just perfect. I cannot issue an official Fiscal Invoice, mandatory in Brazil, but I really don't want Brazilian clients, anyway. So all I have to do is keep my retirement plan and my health plan on my own, and pay my income tax every year. My controls are all in Excel spreadsheets and Outlook reminders, and I doubt very much any other system would be any better. I never missed a date, and I keep everything under strict control.
Who needs an accountant? I'll keep that money, too.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: How do you keep your accounting/taxes?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »