Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: Do you do crossword puzzles?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Jan 17, 2016

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you do crossword puzzles?".

This poll was originally submitted by airmailrpl. View the poll results »

LilianNekipelov
LilianNekipelov  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:54
Russian to English
+ ...
Yes, I absolutely love crossword puzzles. Jan 17, 2016

I finish a few a week. i usually do them when waiting for something. I am not too crazy about some sports-related puzzles, like some in the Post, but they have a regular one, too.

[Edited at 2016-01-17 08:30 GMT]

Ilan Rubin (X)
Ilan Rubin (X)  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 05:54
Russian to English
Chess Jan 17, 2016

On-line chess for me

Yasutomo Kanazawa
Yasutomo Kanazawa  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 11:54
Member (2005)
English to Japanese
+ ...
Me too Jan 17, 2016

ILAN RUBIN wrote:

On-line chess for me

and Scrabble are my favorite games.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 03:54
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Yes Jan 17, 2016

I wait until Saturday (when my favourite crossword appears) to get my crossword fix! In this context, I also like Sudoku puzzles but not as much and love playing a game called Letter Zap Classic (Letroca in the Portuguese version).

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:54
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Yes Jan 17, 2016

I just finished one before clicking on this link.

Usch Pilz
Usch Pilz
Local time: 04:54
English to German
+ ...
Members? Jan 17, 2016

Why is it important whether MEMBERS do crossword puzzles? i.e. Why is this poll for MEMBERS??

Max Deryagin
Max Deryagin  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 07:54
Member (2013)
English to Russian
Of course not Jan 17, 2016

It's what old people do, mostly. We millennials prefer video games, I guess.

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Maybe what young people did in earlier generations! Jan 17, 2016

Max Deryagin wrote:

It's what old people do, mostly. We millennials prefer video games, I guess.

I used to be an addict, and was surprised to discover how recently (in the perspective of human history) they were invented.

http://www.crosswordtournament.com/more/wynne.html

My parents and my mother-in-law were all avid crossword-solvers - crosswords would have been the new thing for young people in their youth. They were born in 1921, 1924 and 1919.

So my generation did not get hold of the crossword until we were old enough to buy our own newspapers! It became a favourite way of relaxing at the weekend in our home - my husband and I used to do the big Friday and Saturday crosswords instead of preparing lunchpacks and packing bags for the next day's work.

It was a problem when my mother-in-law visited and took over our crossword! Her own newspaper was on the doormat at her house, and we did not know what to do instead. I found a solution, but used to get funny looks in town, because I went down to the stationer's and asked for a photocopy of the crossword before my mother-in-law got hold of it. Then we could happily compete instead of sulking on the other side of the table...

I still have scans of the Christmas crosswords on my computer - our guests did them, and I did not get round to them. I am not quite so addicted these days - my husband has retired, and often does the crossword while I am working.

Instead I knit, do the SuDoku from the day before, or download an extra crossword (one of the privileges of having my own printer!) But NOT video games after I have stared at the screen all day. As a rule I have to help my husband finish it anyway. He is not so hot on Latin and weird modern Danish! I pick up both through my work...

That is possibly why old people do crosswords - now I am one of the old people myself.

It is recommended here as mental exercise to ward off dementia, but so is being bilingual...

Have a good Sunday!

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Other Jan 17, 2016

I like to do quick crosswords, but am not so keen on the cryptic type. However, I am usually too busy with work and related matters to have time for crosswords. I managed to do one or two over the Christmas break, as my mother is a keen crossword puzzler, she cuts them out of newspapers and keeps them to do later...

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Hell in a handcart Jan 17, 2016

Yasutomo Kanazawa wrote:

ILAN RUBIN wrote:

On-line chess for me

The last time I looked, online Scrabble had really gone to the dogs compared to the "proper" version I used to play a few years ago. Now, it appears to accept 2-letter prefixes and other dodgy things like acronyms... Or maybe I was looking at the wrong site?

Yasutomo Kanazawa
Yasutomo Kanazawa  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 11:54
Member (2005)
English to Japanese
+ ...
Not a surprise at all Jan 17, 2016

neilmac wrote:

Yasutomo Kanazawa wrote:

ILAN RUBIN wrote:

On-line chess for me

The last time I looked, online Scrabble had really gone to the dogs compared to the "proper" version I used to play a few years ago. Now, it appears to accept 2-letter prefixes and other dodgy things like acronyms... Or maybe I was looking at the wrong site?

Well, I don't do online Scrabble, but I have a version I downloaded from Yahoo a long time ago. I can either play with someone online, but I prefer to play against the computer.

I think allowing acronyms are ways of avoiding situations where you can't make a word as much as possible.

I don't know which is the proper version, but there is a Oxford dictionary integrated into the game, and I sometimes find unbelievable words, mostly foreign loanwords. But the rules are rather strict, since they don't allow vulgar four letter words such as the "f"and "s" words.

The official Scabble dictionary my friend had allowed those words. Maybe my version is the "weird" version.

Iryna Kuryliak
Iryna Kuryliak  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2015)
English to Ukrainian
+ ...
I like crosswords Jan 17, 2016

I like crosswords a lot. Solving crossword puzzles is a great way to kill time when you are on a train between cities.

Natalie Soper
Natalie Soper  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Not religiously Jan 17, 2016

I don't seek them out but I'm happy to do one if there's a newspaper nearby!

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Thanks for the reminder! Jan 17, 2016

I used to be a real addict, both in English and French. But I don't get newspapers now, preferring to get the news online. I'm no youngster but I do most things online now, and I just don't get automatic access to crosswords.

So, who knows of good, challenging but not crazily difficult English or French crosswords on the web? And very simple Spanish ones for language learners.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you do crossword puzzles?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »