Poll: Do you usually accept to work with other translators?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Jan 16, 2016

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you usually accept to work with other translators?".

This poll was originally submitted by Murad AWAD. View the poll results »

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:20
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Yes Jan 16, 2016

I enjoy working on a team. I did this for 25 years as an in-house translator.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 12:20
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Usually? No! Jan 16, 2016

Over the years I have worked occasionally on big projects with a team of trusted translators (ex-colleagues when I worked in-house and Proz members).

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 13:20
Spanish to English
+ ...
It depends Jan 16, 2016

Not usually. In principle, I don’t mind working with trusted colleagues of my own, and occasionally I’ve had to put together a team of 2 or 3 people to work on a translation project, but not for a few years now.
In general, I prefer to keep things as simple as possible and work on my own (my rationale is something along the lines of “Hell is other people/the buck stops here”), and as far as possible in my own terms, so when the occasional approach comes in from an agency offering w
... See more
Not usually. In principle, I don’t mind working with trusted colleagues of my own, and occasionally I’ve had to put together a team of 2 or 3 people to work on a translation project, but not for a few years now.
In general, I prefer to keep things as simple as possible and work on my own (my rationale is something along the lines of “Hell is other people/the buck stops here”), and as far as possible in my own terms, so when the occasional approach comes in from an agency offering work on a project split between several translators, none of whom I am familiar with, I tend to pass.

[Edited at 2016-01-16 12:18 GMT]

[Edited at 2016-01-16 12:19 GMT]
Collapse

Gudrun Maydorn (X)
Gudrun Maydorn (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 13:20
English to German
+ ...
Definitely - but only with some Jan 16, 2016

I regularly work with a few trusted proofreaders whom I have known for years and whose quality of work I appreciate, but I wouldn't team up with anyone unknown to me.

Chié_JP
Chié_JP
Japan
Local time: 20:20
Member (2013)
English to Japanese
+ ...
Yes, but I do not recommend others to do so Jan 16, 2016

If you turned out to be the best one in the group, well, your workload is expected to soar up...

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:20
English to Spanish
+ ...
Usually? Jan 16, 2016

First, I enjoy working with colleagues. That's how I've made several friends with them and learned a thing or two.

However, the poll question has an either-or attitude about it. it's like do you usually eat your vegetables? What are you, my mother?

Seriously though, some thought could be put into the question. If I work as an in-house translator or reviewer, chances are I'll be work
... See more
First, I enjoy working with colleagues. That's how I've made several friends with them and learned a thing or two.

However, the poll question has an either-or attitude about it. it's like do you usually eat your vegetables? What are you, my mother?

Seriously though, some thought could be put into the question. If I work as an in-house translator or reviewer, chances are I'll be working with fellow translators. I sense that the poll's author is a bit reticent and distrustful in this regard, but that's just my impression.
Collapse

Maxi Schwarz
Maxi Schwarz  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:20
German to English
+ ...
The opportunity is rare... Jan 17, 2016

... so there is no "usually" about this. I have had a pleasant collaboration with some excellent colleagues in the past when the occasion arose.

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 08:20
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Do you have a choice? Jan 18, 2016

I don't mind, as long as I'm not accountable for anything the others do right or wrong, and vice-versa. If the documents are to be translated and delivered individually, there's nothing wrong with it. Most of the time, we do work along with other translators in the same project, and we are not even aware of it. If we are aware, that's just a matter of information.

Now, if the client determines that you should find the other translators and build your team, that's another story. I al
... See more
I don't mind, as long as I'm not accountable for anything the others do right or wrong, and vice-versa. If the documents are to be translated and delivered individually, there's nothing wrong with it. Most of the time, we do work along with other translators in the same project, and we are not even aware of it. If we are aware, that's just a matter of information.

Now, if the client determines that you should find the other translators and build your team, that's another story. I also don't mind that, but it's a lot of extra responsibility.

A third mode is when the client determines the team, informs the e-mails and phone numbers of all of them, and tells you the group has to stay in touch to ensure quality and consistency. This may be a bit boring and not very effective, but it's also part of the market, and we must adapt to it.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you usually accept to work with other translators?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »