Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: What do you do if you find an already existing translation of the text you are working on?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 17:19
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Only the odd sentence Jan 15, 2016

Texts such as tourist guides often include sentences taken from Wikipedia etc, for which translations often exist. But they aren't top normally for the purpose. They're OK for information but they often don't sound too enticing. I might find them during research, but I don't just copy the translation.

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 13:19
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Inform the client... IF Jan 17, 2016

If the other Translation is a good, professional one, I'll inform the client and offer a discount. I'm surprised so few people chose that answer! It's happened to me before, a few times, and the clients really appreciated my attitude. What usually happens is, you finish the translation earlier and get more jobs from that client. In addition to being honest, you have nothing to lose, and a lot to win.

[Edited at 2016-01-17 22:03 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: What do you do if you find an already existing translation of the text you are working on?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »