Poll: Are you planning to raise your rates in 2016?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Jan 14, 2016

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Are you planning to raise your rates in 2016?".

This poll was originally submitted by Cristina Heraud-van Tol. View the poll results »

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:13
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
No Jan 14, 2016

My two best clients have been suggesting that my rates are too high and that they are giving work to other translators instead.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 15:13
Spanish to English
+ ...
Other Jan 14, 2016

Right now, I'm too busy to think about that. Apart from actual work, I have all the quarterly administration to do before next week as well. Having said that, I may try to raise my rate for some clients, especially new ones.

Last week I was asked for a quote for a simultaneous translation job (I'm not going to get into the argument about whether it's interpreting or not, like a certain tiresome group on Facebook), and I quoted a price more than 30% above my regular hourly rate, but
... See more
Right now, I'm too busy to think about that. Apart from actual work, I have all the quarterly administration to do before next week as well. Having said that, I may try to raise my rate for some clients, especially new ones.

Last week I was asked for a quote for a simultaneous translation job (I'm not going to get into the argument about whether it's interpreting or not, like a certain tiresome group on Facebook), and I quoted a price more than 30% above my regular hourly rate, but that was simply to try to dissuade the client, because they were planning to do it by streaming, and it sounds like it could turn out to be a nightmare...

In fact, I just had to prepare my first bill of the year for one client. I should have raised my rates for them years ago, but it is a small company and I know they are struggling. I had to send them a couple of reminders about outstanding bills in November/December, and they explained that they were waiting for payments from their clients, but offered to forward me €500 on account, which I accepted.
I was about to raise the rates for them on this latest bill, the first one issued to them this year, but instead simply reminded them that they continue to enjoy a privileged rate, due to our long-standing relationship and the volume of work they provide me (and my Spanish colleague) with throughout the year. The latest job was the text of a PowerPoint file, and, as they are almost always in a hurry, I usually translate this company's texts in Word and they have to copy and paste into whichever format they like. However, I delivered this latest translation in PPTX format for them already "good to go", saving them a lot of time, for which they were extremely grateful. I also reminded them that this was an "added value", courtesy of yours truly.

However, this is only one company, and I tend to approach things like rates and formats on an individual case by case basis. Long-standing clients who provide considerable volumes of work and pay on time get preferential treatment, which seems logical.

[Edited at 2016-01-14 10:46 GMT]
Collapse

Alexander Kondorsky
Alexander Kondorsky  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 16:13
English to Russian
+ ...
No Jan 14, 2016

I pray I will not be forced to lower them...

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 14:13
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
No Jan 14, 2016

For my "regulars" my rates were raised 2/3 years ago and I intend to continue to serve my existing client base at current prices. For new clients I have been quoting on a per-project basis rather than a per-word basis.

[Edited at 2016-01-14 10:16 GMT]

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
I already have Jan 14, 2016

I always raise my prices at New Year

I announce price increases in mid-December in my Merry Christmas email, the theory being that even the most cost-conscious customers will be too hung over to care

DianeGM
DianeGM  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:13
Member (2006)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Don't know yet ... Jan 14, 2016

As soon as I am done with all financial business for 2015, probably that'll be tomorrow, I will have a meeting with my board of directors, being me, myself and I and decide on that very matter.

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:13
English to Spanish
+ ...
Rates, salaries and inflation Jan 14, 2016

Here in America, unemployment hovers at less than 6%, which would be good news to be had by all if salaries had kept pace with inflation and cost of living.

But inflation is less than 2% annually. Yet the average American household makes about $56,000/year, same as back in 1996. Still surprised that translation rates have remained flat?

On the other hand, we are defenseless before the annual rise in medical costs. When my health plan announces a rise of 5-15% on my prem
... See more
Here in America, unemployment hovers at less than 6%, which would be good news to be had by all if salaries had kept pace with inflation and cost of living.

But inflation is less than 2% annually. Yet the average American household makes about $56,000/year, same as back in 1996. Still surprised that translation rates have remained flat?

On the other hand, we are defenseless before the annual rise in medical costs. When my health plan announces a rise of 5-15% on my premiums, I have no choice but to pay or go elsewhere. How do they do it? By consolidating: buying hospital chains and private medical practices. So they can dictate whatever they want to raise.

Sadly, we translators don't have that collective power.
Collapse

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 10:13
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Only the domestic rates Jan 17, 2016

I have already set a new (30% higher) minimum rate for Brazil, since I haven't raised it for three years now. For the clients in N.A. and Europe, the rates shall remain the same. But I've come to a point that, if the Brazilian clients think my price is too high, I'll simply have no Brazilian clients. Until last year, I received 1/3 of the amount for a Translation done for a local client that I would have received for the same translation from any client abroad. Not anymore!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Are you planning to raise your rates in 2016?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »