Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: Do you deploy any ice-breaking strategies when you communicate with new clients?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Jan 11, 2016

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you deploy any ice-breaking strategies when you communicate with new clients?".

View the poll results »

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Vanilla every time Jan 11, 2016

For some reason I misread the question as having something to do with ice-cream.

I don't really know what the question's getting at. Going to their offices armed with cake? Arriving in a Mr Whippy van?

I suppose I'm more likely to say yes to the first few texts a new customer asks me to do, and I might read the translation through an extra time. But no, I don't take them to the races or to a strip club.

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:08
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
No Jan 11, 2016

I understand that this question refers to phatic communication (for those not familiar with the term, see https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q="phatic%20communication").

My answer is 'No'. I may get friendly with a PM over time and "grease the wheels" with some off-topic friendly exchanges, but not at the beginning of our relationship.

John Cutler
John Cutler  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 23:08
Spanish to English
+ ...
Not certain Jan 11, 2016

Professional cordiality is all I "deploy". Does that count?

Francesca Grandinetti
Francesca Grandinetti
Italy
German to Italian
+ ...
hahahahahhaha Jan 11, 2016

Chris S wrote:

I don't really know what the question's getting at. Going to their offices armed with cake? Arriving in a Mr Whippy van?

Love these polls, honest

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 22:08
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
I don't see it that way Jan 11, 2016

I'm very familiar with the techniques in face-to-face situations (15 years teaching English) but I don't see them in my exchanges. I do engage clients in several rounds of emails, but it's to get the terms straight and, to some extent, judge the way they feel about freelance translators and our respective roles. You can get a lot of information about whether a client will be domineering or respectful, or something else. But it isn't ice-breaking.

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 19:08
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
Strategies? No! Jan 11, 2016

I play it wide open with each and every client, give them options to choose, and the pros and cons of each alternative when these are not obvious. If they are not reasonable, however smart, they'll quickly drop me to seek a more gullible vendor.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
No Jan 11, 2016

At the very beginning of a relationship with a potential client there’s no ice to be broken (have I ever started off the wrong foot?). Like Muriel, I have over the years developed a friendly and family-like atmosphere with some clients but this has nothing to do with strategy, just good old fashioned politeness and genuine care.

Julian Holmes
Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 07:08
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
No Jan 11, 2016

I just try to be myself and hope they can see and appreciate my charm.

I would however like to deploy the 'knee-breaking services' of Tony Soprano on some of the clients who ask dopey questions and expect me to work weekends for a low rate on the first job. Just saying...

Besides, every client/customer is different and wants things done i
... See more
I just try to be myself and hope they can see and appreciate my charm.

I would however like to deploy the 'knee-breaking services' of Tony Soprano on some of the clients who ask dopey questions and expect me to work weekends for a low rate on the first job. Just saying...

Besides, every client/customer is different and wants things done in a different way so how I deal with them changes as I see fit.

Small edit.
(Wanted to add a few links from YouTube of big Tony 'persuading' some of his clients to see the light, but decided against it in deference to the weak of heart on this site.)

[Edited at 2016-01-12 00:17 GMT]
Collapse

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:08
English to Spanish
+ ...
Deploy? Are we military strategists now? Jan 11, 2016

Dear quick poll author for today:

If you are a self-professed language professional (i.e. translator, reviewer, editor, proofreader, writer, etc.), you should know better than to borrow and/or co-opt misused and overused words such as deploy. Have you fallen victim of marketingitis? I'm afraid so.

May I recommend a slow-recovery strategy you can, ahem, deploy? Read more and better books. Stay away from websites, listicles and sundry articles written by marketing
... See more
Dear quick poll author for today:

If you are a self-professed language professional (i.e. translator, reviewer, editor, proofreader, writer, etc.), you should know better than to borrow and/or co-opt misused and overused words such as deploy. Have you fallen victim of marketingitis? I'm afraid so.

May I recommend a slow-recovery strategy you can, ahem, deploy? Read more and better books. Stay away from websites, listicles and sundry articles written by marketing workers, unemployed salespeople and assorted types with too much time in their hands playing social media positions.

Or just take two good books and call me in the morning.

[Edited at 2016-01-11 11:21 GMT]
Collapse

Helen Hagon
Helen Hagon  Identity Verified
Member (2011)
Russian to English
+ ...
I don't think so Jan 11, 2016

I try to be polite and professional, making sure I tell the customer everything they need to know with regard to the project, and asking them for any information I require in order to get the job done. Apart from 'be nice but firm', I don't really have a strategy.

In my mind, 'ice-breaking' conjures up pictures of a party where no-one knows anyone else, and the conversation is very stilted (Have you travelled far? Lovely weather for the time of year, isn't it? and so on), so there
... See more
I try to be polite and professional, making sure I tell the customer everything they need to know with regard to the project, and asking them for any information I require in order to get the job done. Apart from 'be nice but firm', I don't really have a strategy.

In my mind, 'ice-breaking' conjures up pictures of a party where no-one knows anyone else, and the conversation is very stilted (Have you travelled far? Lovely weather for the time of year, isn't it? and so on), so there is a need for some kind of activity to put people at ease and get the party going.
Collapse

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:08
English to Spanish
+ ...
Walking on stilts Jan 11, 2016

Helen Hagon wrote:

In my mind, 'ice-breaking' conjures up pictures of a party where no-one knows anyone else, and the conversation is very stilted (Have you travelled far? Lovely weather for the time of year, isn't it? and so on), so there is a need for some kind of activity to put people at ease and get the party going.

Indeed. I think the question in this poll could have benefited from some serious rewrite, because it sounds very stilted!

Yetta Jensen Bogarde
Yetta Jensen Bogarde  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2012)
English to Danish
+ ...
No, Jan 11, 2016

in fact, maybe even on the contrary.
I check them out, sign their contracts, but let them know I have my own rights (and procedures) too.

DianeGM
DianeGM  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:08
Member (2006)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Nope ... Jan 11, 2016

and I think this question is wrong on so many levels.

Erzsébet Czopyk
Erzsébet Czopyk  Identity Verified
Hungary
Member (2006)
Russian to Hungarian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
strategy Jan 11, 2016

I send all of them to see my ProZ.com profile.
I give myself how I am,
I give a full picture: translation rates, additional certifications rates, notary costs, apostille costs, No surprises later.
I make an excellent coffee/tea and have always a spare cigarette and some space on my balcony
(sometimes it helps to make a decision - if you do not smoke, you do not understand)
Last but not least, if the c
... See more
I send all of them to see my ProZ.com profile.
I give myself how I am,
I give a full picture: translation rates, additional certifications rates, notary costs, apostille costs, No surprises later.
I make an excellent coffee/tea and have always a spare cigarette and some space on my balcony
(sometimes it helps to make a decision - if you do not smoke, you do not understand)
Last but not least, if the client wants a very low rate and argues, I tell the following:
"It was very nice to meet you in person but I cannot offer you a cheap and bad quality service.
This is against the rules of my religion."

[Edited at 2016-01-11 14:40 GMT]

[Edited at 2016-01-11 14:40 GMT]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you deploy any ice-breaking strategies when you communicate with new clients?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »