Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: Would you recommend your university to study translation?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:40
English to Spanish
+ ...
A twist Jan 6, 2016

Mario Freitas wrote:

Teresa Borges wrote:

I hold a degree in Economics and a certificate in Executive Marketing.

In my case, in Business Admin and Accounting.

It has been exhaustively proven that a degree in translation is just one of the means to become a good translator, perhaps not even the best one. We had several quick polls discussing this issue, and several experienced translators have a degree in their area of specialization, not in translation. The best translators I know fit into this category, and many translators I never want to work with again are translation program graduates.

But this question will appear again in a few weeks, as usual, with a new format.

As the author of this poll, I doubt someone else will take this segue on the topic.

As the question implies, participants are asked if they would recommend their university, college, institute, etc. to study translation. It does not mention translation degrees, programs, etc.

The last sentence in your main paragraph is worth delving into in different conversations, one of which is whether a given translation program (grad or postgrad) is actually worth the money and time invested in it. As you pointed out, the topic of translation programs or degrees has been discussed at nauseam in different polls.

Marisel Villarreal Rios
Marisel Villarreal Rios
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
I would..if you went abroad Jan 6, 2016

I got my B.A. in Arcadia University with a double major in Ialian Studies and Spanish Language and Culture. I can only say that the romance language teachers are PHENOMENAL and will help you learn the language as much as you wish. Your success will depend deeply on how hard you work on it, just like everything else.

I recommend the intensive/full immersion study abroad program because it is where I learned a lot of translation and interpretation from, as well as became fluent in Ita
... See more
I got my B.A. in Arcadia University with a double major in Ialian Studies and Spanish Language and Culture. I can only say that the romance language teachers are PHENOMENAL and will help you learn the language as much as you wish. Your success will depend deeply on how hard you work on it, just like everything else.

I recommend the intensive/full immersion study abroad program because it is where I learned a lot of translation and interpretation from, as well as became fluent in Italian (since I am a native speaker of Spanish) and gt to delve really deep into my mother language, Spanish.

So that's why I would recommend it, it depends where you study.
Collapse

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
Assumptions Jan 7, 2016

The Misha wrote:

that one needs or even wants to study translation. And, as a great American man of letters put it, assume makes you know what of you and me. Ahem... study what? You mean, in the classroom? For four years? Gimme a break. This is like saying you need four years of college to study pot making (no, not THAT kind of pot:) but the analogy works even better in that other sense).

I will never tire of saying that ours is first and foremost a craft (occasionally rising to the level of art, but that's immaterial for the purpose of this discussion), and you learn a craft by DOING. To be sure, you need to be comfortable enough with the tools - which are the languages, in our case, and that's what you do need to study. The rest is but a skill gradually developed in the process of practicing the craft, preferably, under adult supervision. To be sure, there are a few tricks here and there, but all of those can be easily grasped in passing by anyone who is comfortable with the tools and is not a complete moron.

Eons ago, back in my university days in a provincial town in the country of my birth, we were taught the language, not translation - which in itself was almost a four-letter word. Translation was only taught (or so we heard) at a very limited number of elite diplomatic or military institutions reserved almost entirely for the children and proteges of the then government nomenclatura. So there's no wonder that most translators currently operating in my primary pair (of whom the predominant majority are native Russian speakers, regardless of what the book says), except, possibly, for the youngest generation that has already caught this European "translation studies" bug, never studied translation. Heck, some of the best translators I know (especially former engineers and such) never even studied their languages formally. Yet, this doesn't seem to have stopped them or put them at any disadvantage whatsoever.

You look at the topic of translation education through the lens of your own experience, which is fine. However, you are assuming that your experience is or should be universal.

Speaking of craft, let's talk about sculpting (marble or other stone). If I want to be a sculptor, do I need to take a course in sculpting? Or just learn the craft with adult supervision (are we children now)?

And you are missing the point of the poll completely. You could have answered: I didn't study translation in college, and leave it at that.

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:40
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Other Jan 7, 2016

I'm a graduate of Georgetown University, where I also taught translation for 14 years, but that was so long ago that I don't know the programs it now offers either in translation/interpretation or in other academic fields.

NB: In my day, we had a distinguished School of Languages and Linguistics, which has since been subsumed under the College of Arts and Sciences. I'm sure its founders, Rev. Edmund A. Walsh and Prof. León Dostert, have been squirming in their graves ever since. I
... See more
I'm a graduate of Georgetown University, where I also taught translation for 14 years, but that was so long ago that I don't know the programs it now offers either in translation/interpretation or in other academic fields.

NB: In my day, we had a distinguished School of Languages and Linguistics, which has since been subsumed under the College of Arts and Sciences. I'm sure its founders, Rev. Edmund A. Walsh and Prof. León Dostert, have been squirming in their graves ever since. I have no idea if the quality of teaching has deteriorated or remained the same. I doubt it could have been approved upon, as it was an outstanding institution that attracted the best of the best in all the areas it covered.
Collapse

Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Better... Jan 7, 2016

Better:
Would you recommend your university as a place to study translation?

Even better:
Would you recommend a specific university as a place to study translation?

Answer: No. However, I do consider reading lots of books and articles about "translation theory" to be an important step in breaking away from the kind of literal translation taught in language courses.

It doesn't matter anyway. Those who have a degree in something will say that it
... See more
Better:
Would you recommend your university as a place to study translation?

Even better:
Would you recommend a specific university as a place to study translation?

Answer: No. However, I do consider reading lots of books and articles about "translation theory" to be an important step in breaking away from the kind of literal translation taught in language courses.

It doesn't matter anyway. Those who have a degree in something will say that it is essential because they learned certain information/skills from those courses that they would not have otherwise obtained. It's difficult for them to imagine others learning the same things on their own.

We would be better served by evaluating people based on skill/knowledge tests rather than on whether or not they have a piece of paper with a stamp on it.

Mario Chavez wrote:

Jeff Whittaker wrote:

... as I would not recommend that anyone become a translator.

And what does that poll question even mean? Why would my university wish to study translation?

Hahah, good point. I could have rephrased it as To study translation, would you recommend your university?

But I guess it's a matter of perspective.

[Edited at 2016-01-07 17:00 GMT]

[Edited at 2016-01-07 17:02 GMT]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Would you recommend your university to study translation?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »