Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: Generally speaking, do you think that we translators are intellectuals?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Jan 5, 2016

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Generally speaking, do you think that we translators are intellectuals?".

This poll was originally submitted by Ramona Ali. View the poll results »

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:50
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Not necessarily Jan 5, 2016

Interesting question. I think it depends on the individual's temperament and the interest they take in their work and in the study of languages and cultures.

EvaVer (X)
EvaVer (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:50
Czech to French
+ ...
Depends Jan 5, 2016

1) How exactly do you define an "intellectual"?
2) Accepting a rough definition - we should be, but I have met some of my colleagues...

LilianNekipelov
LilianNekipelov  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:50
Russian to English
+ ...
Why not? Jan 5, 2016

Definitely —all good translators are intellectuals, and they have to be, even those engaged in technical or scientific translation. Translation is one of the most demanding, intellectually, professions.

Max Deryagin
Max Deryagin  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 01:50
Member (2013)
English to Russian
- Jan 5, 2016

EvaVer wrote:

1) How exactly do you define an "intellectual"?
2) Accepting a rough definition - we should be, but I have met some of my colleagues...

You'd also need to define a "translator", I reckon.

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
No Jan 5, 2016

Where was the straight "no" option?

Let's face it, most translators are just jumped-up bilingual typists, not intellectuals.

The days I'd hang around cafés with Noel and Henry and Albert mulling over life's big questions are long gone; these days I'm more a mildly enhanced version of Google Translate.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Other Jan 5, 2016

Intellectual: noun
1. a person possessing a highly developed intellect.
synonyms: intelligent person, learned person...

According to that definition, we probably should be. However, judging from what I've seen out there, I'd say that a substantial percentage of people claiming to be translators would be better described as numpties, for want of a better epithet.

Bora Taşdemir
Bora Taşdemir  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:50
Member (2012)
English to Turkish
+ ...
Not necesarrily Jan 5, 2016

Every kind of people work in this business just like in every other sectors and we can't really say "all the people working in this business are ...". Period!

Kristina Cosumano (X)
Kristina Cosumano (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
Mostly no Jan 5, 2016

...but then, my definition of an intellectual may differ from others'. I don't consider all intelligent, curious people to fit that particular term. Now, the gentleman who recently left about 2000 words of etymological information in answer to a recent KudoZ term query, he might qualify.

However, this is not meant as a slight to anyone, intellectual or not - we intelligent, curious people can be happy with our talents without needing to see ourselves as intellectuals, no?

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
First I said 'of course' ... Jan 5, 2016

... That is one thing we do have in common. Anyone who can make a living by translating, or even do it adequately, must have certain intellectual abilities and therefore count as an intellectual.

I have never liked the word intellectual. When I was young it was bandied about as the opposite of 'the workers', who supposedly bore all the burdens and did the dirty work while the intellectuals fiddled about and found refined ways to oppress the workers.

I am a bit touchy, b
... See more
... That is one thing we do have in common. Anyone who can make a living by translating, or even do it adequately, must have certain intellectual abilities and therefore count as an intellectual.

I have never liked the word intellectual. When I was young it was bandied about as the opposite of 'the workers', who supposedly bore all the burdens and did the dirty work while the intellectuals fiddled about and found refined ways to oppress the workers.

I am a bit touchy, because I come from a family of academics, to use another word. Of course it's not that simple. We were never allowed to forget that education was a privilege, and how much we depended on people with other skills.

It depends entirely on how you define intellectual. My small dictionary seems to go in circles, and the definition of intellectualism as the exercise of the intellect at the expense of the emotions or as rationalism. Probably a very good basic approach to translation.

I can always say I need more context, and pass the buck.
Collapse

Natalie Soper
Natalie Soper  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:50
French to English
+ ...
Inte-what now? Jan 5, 2016

Great question, but as everyone else has said, how do you qualify as an intellectual? Lots of translators love learning. Lots would have gone to university, read lots of books, and presumably have an interest in the world and its events (or at least the parts of the world where the languages that they speak are also spoken)...is that enough? Or are there more stringent membership requirements?

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 21:50
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Other (between "I don't know" and "no, not necessarily") Jan 5, 2016

Interesting question to which I have no clear answer! For starters, aren’t we translators a very diverse bunch? We have different nationalities, different cultures, different religions, different language pairs, different areas of specialization and experience, and different opinions on… everything! Then, translation is an intellectual activity, but nowadays, thanks mostly to CAT tools, is increasingly seen, at least by some (clients, translators and general public), as a product (even lite... See more
Interesting question to which I have no clear answer! For starters, aren’t we translators a very diverse bunch? We have different nationalities, different cultures, different religions, different language pairs, different areas of specialization and experience, and different opinions on… everything! Then, translation is an intellectual activity, but nowadays, thanks mostly to CAT tools, is increasingly seen, at least by some (clients, translators and general public), as a product (even literary work) since it uses more and more industrial-like processes and procedures. As the image of translation (the product) has changed, so has that of the translator (the manufacturer) (Daniel Gouadec dixit in “Translation as a Profession”)…Collapse

564354352 (X)
564354352 (X)  Identity Verified
Denmark
Danish to English
+ ...
No Jan 5, 2016

But who knows? I only know about a handful of professional translators personally - it would be ridiculous to even try to form an opinion of the thousands or millions of other translators around the world.

I consider myself a pragmatic more than an intellecutal. Especially in relation to my translation work. I don't look at my work and stop to think about the big underlying issues before I start my work. I see text in one language and I do my best to convert that into text in anothe
... See more
But who knows? I only know about a handful of professional translators personally - it would be ridiculous to even try to form an opinion of the thousands or millions of other translators around the world.

I consider myself a pragmatic more than an intellecutal. Especially in relation to my translation work. I don't look at my work and stop to think about the big underlying issues before I start my work. I see text in one language and I do my best to convert that into text in another language. The issues I have to deal with to do that are practical, albeit knowledge-based. Not an ounce of intellecualism in that...

Curiously, the poll question could probably be termed an 'intellectual' question, so maybe, by simply considering it, we all fall into the trap of being intellectuals at some level or other. Rats...
Collapse

Henry Schroeder
Henry Schroeder  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
Definitely, yes, if you do something with your multicultural knowledge Jan 5, 2016

If you do nothing other than covert text from one language into another without giving it any thought, more or less like a machine, then of course a translator is not an intellectual.

It seems to me that this would result in poor translations, of the sort a machine produces, but I'm not one of those types, so it is hard for me to judge.

If you think about anything you do, analyze it, i.e. engage in the acts of an intellectual, the results will certainly be better...

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
Most? Jan 5, 2016

Chris S wrote:

Where was the straight "no" option?

Let's face it, most translators are just jumped-up bilingual typists, not intellectuals.

The days I'd hang around cafés with Noel and Henry and Albert mulling over life's big questions are long gone; these days I'm more a mildly enhanced version of Google Translate.

You need more coffee, dear. Your otherwise witty droll delivery is somewhat missing!

😁🎷🎶

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Generally speaking, do you think that we translators are intellectuals?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »