Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: Generally speaking, do you think that we translators are intellectuals?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:21
English to Spanish
+ ...
Out loud: Generally speaking Jan 5, 2016

Almost everyone rushed to answer without reading the generally speaking part. Tsk, tsk, people.

Seriously now, let's go by parts:

1) Like some of you have said, a good translator is expected to be intellectual, i.e. interested in learning, discussing and analyzing information to derive knowledge that can be applied to her work in particular and to her life in general.

... See more
Almost everyone rushed to answer without reading the generally speaking part. Tsk, tsk, people.

Seriously now, let's go by parts:

1) Like some of you have said, a good translator is expected to be intellectual, i.e. interested in learning, discussing and analyzing information to derive knowledge that can be applied to her work in particular and to her life in general.

2) I also agree with some of you: let's define intellectual. The term as a noun has established historical connotations. For the sake of argument, let's just say that an intellectual is the learned individual who approaches life in a measured and analytical fashion, using her intellect to identify and resolve problems. The intellectual also uses elegant prose and polished humor, not to mention subtlety and wit, to deliver her ideas and make her cases.

Generally speaking, translators are competent writers who work with two or more languages. Let's not fuss about the incompetent ones, okay? That's not the point of the poll, as far as I can see it.

As some of you pointed out, not all competent translators are intellectuals according to the definition I shared above. A translator may use her intellect to research and solve translation and writing problems, but that does not mean the same approach is being used to face other challenges, like raising kids or planning for retirement.

Now, a follow-up question would be: All things being equal, how are intellectuals viewed in your particular society or country?

It may well be a known fact that intellectuals are viewed with derision in America by at least half the population. They are sometimes confused with liberals (that's left-leaning in America) and theorists, and generally viewed as elitists.
Collapse

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Clowning aside Jan 5, 2016

Mario Chavez wrote:

Most?

Probably all of them.

Translation is never going to be a magnet for towering intellects. It's too derivative and poorly paid.

And have you visited KudoZ recently?

R. Alex Jenkins
R. Alex Jenkins  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 14:21
Member (2006)
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Not necessarily Jan 5, 2016

A translator isn't necessarily an intellectual, but has to deal with the output of many 'intellectuals' on a frequent basis, so perhaps a third-party intellectual, if such a thing exists?

Harry Blake Paz Bonzano
Harry Blake Paz Bonzano  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 19:21
Member (2014)
Spanish to Italian
+ ...
Personal opinion of the poll Jan 5, 2016

I rushed my answer as "yes, definitely" because I (as "we" of the poll I am part of that) consider myself an intellectual with what Natalie Soper summed up: one that loves learning, has gone to the university, reads lots of books, and have an interest in the world and its events (I should add overall human knowledge). I am considered an intellectual by my friends and family but this, and what I consider, are just opinions. I also consider myself very humble on what I still have to learn and I am... See more
I rushed my answer as "yes, definitely" because I (as "we" of the poll I am part of that) consider myself an intellectual with what Natalie Soper summed up: one that loves learning, has gone to the university, reads lots of books, and have an interest in the world and its events (I should add overall human knowledge). I am considered an intellectual by my friends and family but this, and what I consider, are just opinions. I also consider myself very humble on what I still have to learn and I am aware of my flaws (I know that I know nothing is one of my mottos, Socrates docet) but I am positive that I am doing my best to learn more and more every day.

As a fact, Mario Chávez gave us the real meaning of the poll: "generally speaking". So at the end it is not a "yes, definitely" nor a "no, definitely" but something in between. By reading a few questions in the kudoz section, like Chris is pointing out, sometimes I do not understand the reason of such of them but I must say not everybody has the same knowledge, that is why kudoz is there even if some of the askers should at least do a little more research on it.

Going back to the question, basically a translator should use his or her intellect to try to solve a problem (a translation is a problem after all just like a math question is problem itself). If we get help from CAT tools, it is just a consequence of technology and how our market is rushing towards it. All depends on how do we use it, so if a translator is using a CAT tool just for the sake of it and using a MT only than I suppose that he or she is not intellectual at all.

From my favourite dictionary (Dictionary.com), here there are many meanings for "intellectual". Choose the one that fits you for this poll:

6. a person of superior intellect.
7. a person who places a high value on or pursues things of interest to the intellect or the more complex forms and fields of knowledge, as aesthetic or philosophical matters, especially on an abstract and general level.
8. an extremely rational person; a person who relies on intellect rather than on emotions or feelings.
9. a person professionally engaged in mental labor, as a writer or teacher.

Christine Andersen posted the number 8. I pretty much would use 7, 8 and 9 for me. As for the translators, and considering what I wrote in my third paragraph, I would say number 9.

If a dictionary is useful for this matter...
Collapse

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:21
English to Spanish
+ ...
Kudoz Jan 5, 2016

Chris S wrote:

Mario Chavez wrote:

Most?

Probably all of them.

Translation is never going to be a magnet for towering intellects. It's too derivative and poorly paid.

And have you visited KudoZ recently?

The danger with towering intellects is that some of them (Eugene Nida comes to mind) start spewing theories of translation as if they were universal truths.
Yep, I've shared some of my pseudointellectual wisdom with the poor saps.

Yaotl Altan
Yaotl Altan  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 11:21
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Agree Jan 5, 2016

Chris S wrote:

Where was the straight "no" option?

Let's face it, most translators are just jumped-up bilingual typists, not intellectuals.

The days I'd hang around cafés with Noel and Henry and Albert mulling over life's big questions are long gone; these days I'm more a mildly enhanced version of Google Translate.

Right. Quality is not a common skill in those translators who use Google Translate typing comfortably in Starbucks.

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 14:21
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Some are Jan 6, 2016

But I'm not even sure they are a majority.
All it takes is to read posts from translators in the forums and social media, and you'll notice many translators are just as perfectly defined by Chris:

Chris S wrote:

... most translators are just jumped-up bilingual typists, not intellectuals.

[Edited at 2016-01-06 17:58 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Generally speaking, do you think that we translators are intellectuals?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »