Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: Do you save a percentage of your translation income to support a charity organization?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Jan 4, 2016

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you save a percentage of your translation income to support a charity organization?".

This poll was originally submitted by Ma.Elena Carrión de Medina. View the poll results »

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 18:46
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
No and I don't plan to do so! Jan 4, 2016

I have been working pro bono for years helping some organizations (TWB, UNV, Humana, Malaria Consortium…) with their translation needs, but I don’t save a percentage of my income for that effect.

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:46
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Yes - I think Jan 4, 2016

If I understand the question correctly, my answer is 'yes'. I donate a percentage of my income to charities every year - not one, but several. These donations are tax-deductible. I have done this since I first started working. I can't imagine not doing it.

Michael Harris
Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 19:46
Member (2006)
German to English
No Jan 4, 2016

I used to support UNICEF here in Germany, but since the scandal with them not disclosing their financial practices a few years ago and them loosing their status as a charity, I stopped oing that. I actively help my community which also includes helping immigrants.
But seriously, you can donate all of your money but if the problems are not solved in the countries where these people live, you are not really helping anybody?

tilak raj
tilak raj  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 00:16
Member (2012)
English to Punjabi
+ ...
yes Jan 4, 2016

I only contribute with translation work for TWB each year. In case of charity for help the needy people, yes I do.

[Edited at 2016-01-04 09:51 GMT]

[Edited at 2016-01-04 09:52 GMT]

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
No Jan 4, 2016

I donate exclusively from my modelling income.

Unless the kids count.

Ventnai
Ventnai  Identity Verified
Spain
German to English
+ ...
Yes, I donate Jan 4, 2016

Michael Harris wrote:
But seriously, you can donate all of your money but if the problems are not solved in the countries where these people live, you are not really helping anybody?

This is not the case for all countries or all situations. I try to donate to projects which help people to become self-sufficient, gain clean water supply or obtain renewable energy. That way you are helping them to solve their problems on a local level.

I donate when I can or when there is a natural disaster. One of my bank accounts donates half the interest on savings to sustainable projects.

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
N-ever Jan 4, 2016

Except my people and relatives, I can't remember even a single living creature who could give me something worthy for nothing. That's why I also never give anything for nothing, unless for somebody I consider worthy.

Occasionally I can do free translations and if I think that a person really needs my help, then I could support him directly, not via 'charity organizations.'

Michael Harris
Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
German to English
Transparency Jan 4, 2016

Ian Jones wrote:

Michael Harris wrote:

This is not the case for all countries or all situations. I try to donate to projects which help people to become self-sufficient, gain clean water supply or obtain renewable energy. That way you are helping them to solve their problems on a local level.

I donate when I can or when there is a natural disaster. One of my bank accounts donates half the interest on savings to sustainable projects.

Sounds good, but I always have a problem with transparency / trust that the right people are getting the help. And that is something that connot be checked.
IfI had enough money then I would go over and help those in need as long as I am not in danger, but otherwise...

Laura van Staveren
Laura van Staveren  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Dutch to English
+ ...
direct support instead of charity Jan 4, 2016

These days, it seems a charity organization emerges for every little thing. In the Netherlands alone there are over 130 charity organizations, and that does not include the temporary charity funds that are established for major events (i.e. natural disasters).

So instead of donating money to charity, I support family/friends/neighbours as much as I can. This may mean offering them a shoulder to cry on, helping them repair something, or providing some financial support.

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:46
English to Spanish
+ ...
Many ways to skin a cat Jan 4, 2016

I used to be LDS (Mormon). As such, I would give 10% of my income to the church to support its missions. I stopped doing that after I left that church.

Here in America, charitable donations (including church tithes) are tax deductible, which I think create a conflict of interests. How? The more you donate, the less taxes you pay. How is that for altruistic?

I currently support one or two organizations: the American Humanist Association and my local Classical FM station.
... See more
I used to be LDS (Mormon). As such, I would give 10% of my income to the church to support its missions. I stopped doing that after I left that church.

Here in America, charitable donations (including church tithes) are tax deductible, which I think create a conflict of interests. How? The more you donate, the less taxes you pay. How is that for altruistic?

I currently support one or two organizations: the American Humanist Association and my local Classical FM station. Those are two of the causes I support.

American charity organizations may go after worthy causes, but their marketing is in the hands of someone else: people with a vested interest in making money by finding more supporters. I hate their methods and their manipulative ways.
Collapse

ikeda45
ikeda45  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:46
Member (2007)
English to Japanese
I donate but am not sure if it is 1% or not Jan 4, 2016

My favorite organizations are World Vision, JOMAS (Japan Overseas Missionary Activity Sponsorship), Retired Horse Association, and PETA. JOMAS considers the world full of thieves and they always hand over their money directly to the nuns/fathers who request donations in needy countries and also check if the money is properly used by visiting their sites.

TalTranslations
TalTranslations
United Kingdom
English to Hebrew
Yes, local organizations Jan 4, 2016

Michael Harris wrote:

... but if the problems are not solved in the countries where these people live, you are not really helping anybody?

There are enough small Local charity organizations here in the UK that need help too.

I donate a percentage of my income to different local organizations.

One is an organization for termally ill bedridden people, to fulfill their last wish.
So they can see one more time the harbour and the ocean, or visit their childhood neighborhood.
The organization needs the money for the use of the ambulance, the medical equipment, the skilled nurses that accompany them, etc.

TalTranslations
TalTranslations
United Kingdom
English to Hebrew
like my mother Jan 4, 2016

Chris S wrote:

Unless the kids count.

that's what my mother is always saying when someone asks her if she donates to charity

Platon Danilov
Platon Danilov  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 20:46
English to Russian
+ ...
Other Jan 4, 2016

Sometimes I donate, but it's not a % and commonly not to an organization, but an individual donation to some person I trust.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you save a percentage of your translation income to support a charity organization?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »