Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: When do you send your invoices?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Nov 8, 2015

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "When do you send your invoices?".

This poll was originally submitted by Natalia Pedrosa. View the poll results »

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 18:20
Spanish to English
+ ...
Other Nov 8, 2015

"All of the above", depending on circumstances.

Julian Holmes
Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 01:20
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
At the end of the month Nov 8, 2015

In most cases, invoicing is done automatically by the customer's TMS.

3rd invoice poll in 7 days. I can't believe we're at a loss for possible quick poll options.

Small edit

[Edited at 2015-11-09 01:01 GMT]

Mary Worby
Mary Worby  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:20
German to English
+ ...
At the end of the month ... Nov 8, 2015

I think I would be waiting a very long time if I waited for the customer to request invoices!

Sharon Toh, MITI MCIL
Sharon Toh, MITI MCIL
Singapore
Local time: 00:20
Member (2009)
Chinese to English
+ ...
Other - a combination of the above/depends Nov 8, 2015

Some together with delivery (or in a separate email to a dedicated email address of the client for receiving invoices, or if I have no time to prepare the invoice before the deadline, I send it slightly later), some at the end of the month (especially if a client has many jobs for me in a single month), some as soon as the client changes the job status in their system to Delivered (i.e. ready to invoice), etc. Some (especially individuals) don't even need an invoice. All I need is to send them m... See more
Some together with delivery (or in a separate email to a dedicated email address of the client for receiving invoices, or if I have no time to prepare the invoice before the deadline, I send it slightly later), some at the end of the month (especially if a client has many jobs for me in a single month), some as soon as the client changes the job status in their system to Delivered (i.e. ready to invoice), etc. Some (especially individuals) don't even need an invoice. All I need is to send them my payment details. So many different situations with different possible answers...

But no matter what, certainly not "I wait for clients to request them" (!!).
Collapse

tilak raj
tilak raj  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 21:50
Member (2012)
English to Punjabi
+ ...
Other Nov 8, 2015

It depends upon the client. If client is regular then at end of the month. If client is for single time then end of the job.

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:20
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
At the end of the job, but ... Nov 8, 2015

I usually wait a day, to make sure the client is satisfied with my work and has no further questions.

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Probably 90% at month end Nov 8, 2015

Enough for me to choose that response rather than 'other'. However, I occasionally invoice before starting work (private individual wanting a CV or similar), and if a new client approaches me early in the month with a small job then I'll generally invoice straight away. But I don't have a rule about that - I assess the amount of risk and then just follow my nose if the risk isn't too great. I'm a great believer in risking very little most of the time but occasionally winging it if my nose smells... See more
Enough for me to choose that response rather than 'other'. However, I occasionally invoice before starting work (private individual wanting a CV or similar), and if a new client approaches me early in the month with a small job then I'll generally invoice straight away. But I don't have a rule about that - I assess the amount of risk and then just follow my nose if the risk isn't too great. I'm a great believer in risking very little most of the time but occasionally winging it if my nose smells roses rather than manure.Collapse

Maxi Schwarz
Maxi Schwarz  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:20
German to English
+ ...
It depends Nov 8, 2015

There are a few clients who send multiple translations requests each month, and they receive a single invoice the end of the month containing all the work. There are also end clients who have a single request and come personally to pick up the translation and pay on the spot. It would not make sense to invoice them at the end of the month. There are even clients who voluntarily prepay.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Other Nov 8, 2015

Depends! Most of my regular clients (except two) appreciate monthly invoices. For other clients (mainly new customers or one-offs) invoices are sent together with the translation.

Béatrice DEZERALD
Béatrice DEZERALD  Identity Verified
France
Member (2008)
English to French
+ ...
Other Nov 8, 2015

Same as Neilmac !!

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Other Nov 8, 2015

It depends on the agreement I have with my clients.

Gianluca Marras
Gianluca Marras  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
other Nov 8, 2015

it depends on client and workload.

Inca Vallès
Inca Vallès  Identity Verified
French to Spanish
+ ...
other Nov 8, 2015

Same as Gianluca. I wonder who waits until the client requests it.

Ventnai
Ventnai  Identity Verified
Spain
German to English
+ ...
Generally at end/beginning of month Nov 8, 2015

I generally send them at the end of the month as most clients send me several jobs every month. If the translation is a one-time job, the client is unlikely to request another job in the month or I know that I won't have time to do anything else, I may send the invoice shortly after completion.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: When do you send your invoices?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »