Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: Do you prefer working with foreign or domestic clients?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Nov 5, 2015

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you prefer working with foreign or domestic clients?".

This poll was originally submitted by Peoplesartist. View the poll results »

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 12:59
Spanish to English
+ ...
Domestic Nov 5, 2015

I.e. clients based in Spain, the same as me, so that if they ever try to stiff me I can go round and see them in person...

Andrea Garfield-Barkworth
Andrea Garfield-Barkworth  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2015)
German to English
As long as they pay on time.. Nov 5, 2015

... I don't really notice any difference.

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:59
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
No preference at all Nov 5, 2015

As long as they pay me and come back with more business, I don't care where they are based or what currency they use.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 11:59
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
No preference whatsoever! Nov 5, 2015

Location is never a problem… Interesting projects, nice communication, good rates, timely payment and a steady flow of work that’s all I want!

Michael Harris
Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
German to English
Same here Nov 5, 2015

Teresa Borges wrote:

Location is never a problem… Interesting projects, nice communication, good rates, timely payment and a steady flow of work that’s all I want!

Although foreign payments are better as I do not have to mess around with paying the tax office the 19%VAT every month - that costs me about €1500 / year for my accountant to deal with.

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Foreign Nov 5, 2015

No brainer, Scandi customers pay 50-100% more than UK customers.

They're also more rewarding. Because they understand both the source and the target language, they're more discerning and appreciative. That said, they can also be unbelievably picky.

[Edited at 2015-11-05 10:17 GMT]

Enrico Zoffoli
Enrico Zoffoli  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2013)
German to Italian
+ ...
Foreign Nov 5, 2015

90% of the time they pay much more than Italian ones.

tilak raj
tilak raj  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 16:29
Member (2012)
English to Punjabi
+ ...
Of course who pays good Nov 5, 2015

the clients who pays good for work. I work for that client whether it be foreign or domestic.

Ventnai
Ventnai  Identity Verified
Spain
German to English
+ ...
clients in other countries Nov 5, 2015

I prefer clients in other countries as they are usually more organised and pay better. If a Spanish company offers me the same rate, I will take projects from them, although they often want things yesterday.

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Domestic Nov 5, 2015

Chris S wrote:

They're also more rewarding. Because they understand both the source and the target language, they're more discerning and appreciative. That said, they can also be unbelievably picky.

... because I live in Scandinavia.

Nevertheless, I am working right now for a very sympathetic new client in the UK who agreed to my Scandinavian rate without blinking, and did not even ask about Trados discounts. As there are about 20% repetitions and it is a large job, I will probably give him a reduction and hope he comes again!

No generalisations without exceptions. They definitely exist.

DianeGM
DianeGM  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:59
Member (2006)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Foreign ... Nov 5, 2015

I am based in Greece, the general economic situation here is well known.
I only continue to work for a handful of Greek clients. The other have fallen by the wayside, for various reasons, whether due to declining rates, poor payment practices, lack of available work, disappearance, etc.
I work almost exclusively with foreign clients now.

Yetta Jensen Bogarde
Yetta Jensen Bogarde  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2012)
English to Danish
+ ...
Foreign Nov 5, 2015

My best clients are located overseas

564354352 (X)
564354352 (X)  Identity Verified
Denmark
Danish to English
+ ...
Domestic Nov 5, 2015

Chris S wrote:

My thoughts exactly...

I hardly ever have to discuss prices with Danish clients, whereas British clients are notorious for saying, "your price is a bit high, would you be willing to go down to xx?" The answer is always, always, "no, I would not". My prices are already at the low end of the Danish market, and in fact, I am thinking of increasing them in the new year.

As for communication and collaboration, I don't see any difference. If anything, British clients are often more polite and friendly than Danish clients...

Chié_JP
Chié_JP
Japan
Local time: 19:59
Member (2013)
English to Japanese
+ ...
Not about countries Nov 5, 2015

Since I work in source-foreign and target-mother tongue pair, client speaks source-foreign language so it leads that foreign agencies / clients are (at least supposed to be) closer to end client and this is convenient when asking questions or making queries.

I also enjoy slight cultural difference by making a world-go-around on ProZ.

With source-target agencies, we can talk to them by our mother tongues
so if you are arguing over complicated issu
... See more
Since I work in source-foreign and target-mother tongue pair, client speaks source-foreign language so it leads that foreign agencies / clients are (at least supposed to be) closer to end client and this is convenient when asking questions or making queries.

I also enjoy slight cultural difference by making a world-go-around on ProZ.

With source-target agencies, we can talk to them by our mother tongues
so if you are arguing over complicated issue this would save a bit of time for spell-checking.

Ideally PM should speak either of the languages in the working language pair. Otherwise explanation is going to be a bit difficult at times.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you prefer working with foreign or domestic clients?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »