Poll: In which area do you primarily specialize?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Oct 26, 2015

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "In which area do you primarily specialize?".

This poll was originally submitted by Angus Stewart. View the poll results »

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:08
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
I said 'Medical' Oct 26, 2015

That's my main area, but I actually have several, including public health, veterinary public health, biology, botany, international organizations, and linguistics (my graduate major).

[Edited at 2015-10-26 09:19 GMT]

Alexandra Speirs
Alexandra Speirs  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:08
Italian to English
+ ...
Technical but .... Oct 26, 2015

Technical, but I do like a change.

Today I'm doing history of religion!

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 23:08
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Other Oct 26, 2015

I started out some 40 years ago as a generalist but pretty quickly realized that there are certain types of text I’m not qualified to handle or that I simply don’t enjoy. I still consider myself a generalist and enjoy projects where I can use my skills. My main area of work is EU affairs (EU translator for 20 years), but over the years I have gained experience in several other fields: law (I was a sworn translator), medicine (mostly gynecology, obstetrics, medical devices, clinical trials), ... See more
I started out some 40 years ago as a generalist but pretty quickly realized that there are certain types of text I’m not qualified to handle or that I simply don’t enjoy. I still consider myself a generalist and enjoy projects where I can use my skills. My main area of work is EU affairs (EU translator for 20 years), but over the years I have gained experience in several other fields: law (I was a sworn translator), medicine (mostly gynecology, obstetrics, medical devices, clinical trials), education and vocational training… Am I specialized? Only in never biting off more than I can chew!Collapse

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:08
English to Spanish
+ ...
I chose Other because… Oct 26, 2015

…there was no “A combination of the above or more” option.

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
The much maligned generalist translator Oct 26, 2015

The vibes I got here in America over the years as a translator are that:

a) Generalist translators are jacks of all trades, masters of none.
b) Generalist translators often work on personal documents and diplomas because they have no strong specializations.

There might be some truth to the above, but I'm revising my impressions. Since I have learned that excellent translators are very good at writing, regardless of specialization, it doesn't really matter if a tra
... See more

b) Generalist translators often work on personal documents and diplomas because they have no strong specializations.

There might be some truth to the above, but I'm revising my impressions. Since I have learned that excellent translators are very good at writing, regardless of specialization, it doesn't really matter if a translator is a generalist or not.

And now I have to leave in about an hour for a slew of on-site job interviews at a big bank here in Ohio. It's an in-house Spanish translator job for customer-facing financial and marketing materials (one of my midrange specializations).
Collapse

Julian Holmes
Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 07:08
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
Technical Oct 26, 2015

I specialize only in technical translation, not 'primarily'.

I have been doing this for 30+ years and it seems that very few translators really make a point of selling themselves as solely 'technical translators.'

So, am I cornering a niche market? or

Thanks for the question, Angus! ...
See more
I specialize only in technical translation, not 'primarily'.

I have been doing this for 30+ years and it seems that very few translators really make a point of selling themselves as solely 'technical translators.'

So, am I cornering a niche market? or

Thanks for the question, Angus!

P.S.
I am in awe, indeed 'aghast,' at the number of people who voted 'Technical.' Gasp!

All these technical translators coming out of the woodwork....

Added 'P.S.' onwards

[Edited at 2015-10-27 06:13 GMT]
Collapse

Anthony Baldwin
Anthony Baldwin  Identity Verified
United States
Portuguese to English
+ ...
There really should be a multiple option Oct 26, 2015

as I work where Technical and Legal meet (contracts, patents, etc. involving both technical and legal aspects).

564354352 (X)
564354352 (X)  Identity Verified
Denmark
Danish to English
+ ...
Other Oct 26, 2015

Arts and Culture
Education and Research
Architecture and Construction
Business and Government

The humanities, really...

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Mainly, finance, law and ... Oct 26, 2015

Property development, with a little art and theatre thrown in.

Filip Sanca
Filip Sanca  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Other – Gaming Oct 26, 2015

I guess there's not many of us.

Triston Goodwin
Triston Goodwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:08
Spanish to English
+ ...
Good luck! Oct 26, 2015

Mario Chavez wrote:

There might be some truth to the above, but I'm revising my impressions. Since I have learned that excellent translators are very good at writing, regardless of specialization, it doesn't really matter if a translator is a generalist or not.

And now I have to leave in about an hour for a slew of on-site job interviews at a big bank here in Ohio. It's an in-house Spanish translator job for customer-facing financial and marketing materials (one of my midrange specializations).

Suerte!

I mostly work with business documents - financial reports, legal documents, marketing copy, and so on. It's what I was taught while working in-house. I really prefer video games, though ^_^

Edoardo Valsesia
Edoardo Valsesia  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
Video games Oct 26, 2015

Do video games fall in the "technical" or "other" option?

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Other - marketing Oct 26, 2015

Not business in general, just marketing copy.

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 19:08
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Actually, Oct 30, 2015

Technical/Engineering, Legal and Business/Finance, but since we only have the choice to vote for one, I voted technical, as that represents the largest volume of work for me.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: In which area do you primarily specialize?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »