Poll: Do you find it difficult to turn down job offers?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Oct 22, 2015

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you find it difficult to turn down job offers?".

View the poll results »

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 05:02
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Other (yes and no)! Oct 22, 2015

Depends from whom comes the job offer… If it is from a regular customer the answer is yes, though most of them have been willing to negotiate a new deadline if I am not available.

I must say though that most of the job offers I turn down are from potential new clients and the reason for my refusal is low rates almost invariably…

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 06:02
Spanish to English
+ ...
Somewhat Oct 22, 2015

In general, I don't like to refuse offers of work and do appreciate them, but often the deadlines are just too tight for me to be able to accept, while continuing to provide a service to my regular direct clients, especially when it is agency work.

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
English to French
No Oct 22, 2015

As known customers know my comfort zone, I never turn down job offers from them.
If a deadline is not suitable, I always offer alternative delivery dates. And sometimes they have to turn down my counter-offer.

Philippe

[Edited at 2015-10-22 09:09 GMT]

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
As a rule, no Oct 22, 2015

Sometimes a really good job turns up just when I am too busy, and then I do hesitate, check my programme for the next week and think about it.

In general, however, jobs are jobs, and I can't take on everything I am offered. If I can't do it well, then I have to let the client know it would be better to find someone else.

Simply a matter of saying no, sorry, and getting back to the job I have in hand.

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:02
English to Spanish
+ ...
I wish I had Oct 22, 2015

Last week I accepted a translation review offer. Pay was good, terms were acceptable, but the translation was horrendous! Whoever wrote that translation should have never set foot inside a translation school.

I found it hard to say no, however. My old standbys, fees and time, were to no avail since this new client matched my fee.

Anthony Baldwin
Anthony Baldwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:02
Portuguese to English
+ ...
no problem Oct 22, 2015

I've been quite busy lately working for clients who value my work and pay appropriately for it.
At the same time, I've received many offers from agencies who want me to work at super rush speeds for half of what my work is worth.
I have no problem whatsoever telling those agencies that I'm just far too busy working for decent clients who pay professional rates to waste my time on their super rush projects with dismal, insulting rates.
Frankly, I kind of enjoy that, even.

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
No, I love it Oct 22, 2015

It's why I went freelance all those years ago

Chié_JP
Chié_JP
Japan
Local time: 13:02
Member (2013)
English to Japanese
+ ...
Learn to say NO Oct 22, 2015

Most agencies are very nice to me with assignments but I find myself nothing but a poor softie when everyone tries to load me with the most troublesome jobs and simply get away with result.
It is simply not fair that good agencies get affected by my taking the job from bad agencies. Excuse me for a schedule is not a problem but telling those people who try to get me take their "small requests" or impossible timeline job offer annoys me.

The more offer is non-favourable the mo
... See more
Most agencies are very nice to me with assignments but I find myself nothing but a poor softie when everyone tries to load me with the most troublesome jobs and simply get away with result.
It is simply not fair that good agencies get affected by my taking the job from bad agencies. Excuse me for a schedule is not a problem but telling those people who try to get me take their "small requests" or impossible timeline job offer annoys me.

The more offer is non-favourable the more they get persistent and pushy,
and Yes, I ended up drawing a secret line and blacklisted some countries/regions including China/Hong Kong and India, who are also notorious for letting email address show to spammers.
Collapse

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 01:02
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Depends on the client, Oct 24, 2015

Although it still doesn't sound too right to do that, I do it regularly for non-regular clients. For semi-regular clients, I do it every now and then. But for regular clients, I only do it when I simply cannot squeeze in another job for an absolute lack of time, and I don't like doing it at all.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you find it difficult to turn down job offers?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »