Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: Do you prefer to receive projects via email or through a project management platform?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
EvaVer (X)
EvaVer (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:39
Czech to French
+ ...
E-mail Oct 21, 2015

Even if all plaforms were OK (and I agree they aren't), if you have 50 clients with a platform each and different manners to use them, you will go crazy.

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:39
English to Spanish
+ ...
Not just crazy Oct 21, 2015

EvaVer wrote:

Even if all plaforms were OK (and I agree they aren't), if you have 50 clients with a platform each and different manners to use them, you will go crazy.

Implementing a project management platform is not just about money spent on an arguably sound goal of improving workflows. There's training, upgrades and documenting procedures involved, none of which are cheap.

This reminds me of the often ill-conceived goal of ISO 9000 certification adopted by some small translation companies. It's not just learning about which ISO 9000 standards apply to your particular business but training people, complying with external audits, documenting everything, etc. If I were a businessperson in charge of a translation outfit, I'd rather spend the money training good project managers.

Chié_JP
Chié_JP
Japan
Local time: 14:39
Member (2013)
English to Japanese
+ ...
Communication by email, files by platform maybe? Oct 21, 2015

What I liked about platform is they involve invoicing as well - you can often find all the list of projects there and no hassle before generating invoice, especially when they consisted of number of smaller projects.

Admitting "less-communication" issue and several bugs I experienced that made me like horrified (usually managers secretly like to put the load on us by shortening timeline even if such bug happened),
platform has its own goodness as I do not have to be c
... See more
What I liked about platform is they involve invoicing as well - you can often find all the list of projects there and no hassle before generating invoice, especially when they consisted of number of smaller projects.

Admitting "less-communication" issue and several bugs I experienced that made me like horrified (usually managers secretly like to put the load on us by shortening timeline even if such bug happened),
platform has its own goodness as I do not have to be concerned about larger byte emails piling up making the mail client unstable any more.
Collapse

Enrique Cavalitto
Enrique Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 02:39
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
Platform available for ProZ.com corporate members Oct 21, 2015

Susana E. Cano Méndez wrote:

Because some of these platforms don't work as expected. Moreover, interaction with customer is nonexistent and I feel lonely.

I believe many agencies set up translation platforms in order to work less, not in order to make work easier.

TWB translation platform is very good, though. It is a good example of how to make a relevant translation platform.

Thanks Susana!

It is worth noting that the platform developed by ProZ.com for Translators without Borders is also available free of charge for ProZ.com corporate members.

This platform is described at http://www.proz.com/proz-translation-center and several agencies are already using it for the management of their translation projects.

Regards,
Enrique

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 02:39
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
I am very surprised Oct 22, 2015

I am very surprised that actually there were some translators who voted on the platforms. I don't think we live in the same planet.

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 06:39
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
I make one exception Oct 22, 2015

I translate property sales descriptions for an online site promoting private sales. Some are worth about €25 to me but many are far smaller. They're just fill-in jobs that I invoice for monthly. It would be quite onerous to have an email exchange every time.

I receive a notification email, follow the link, click to accept the job. Then I can either translate in situ or copy the text to Word, which is what I do so I can use Wordfast. Copy/paste the target back online, click 'done'
... See more
I translate property sales descriptions for an online site promoting private sales. Some are worth about €25 to me but many are far smaller. They're just fill-in jobs that I invoice for monthly. It would be quite onerous to have an email exchange every time.

I receive a notification email, follow the link, click to accept the job. Then I can either translate in situ or copy the text to Word, which is what I do so I can use Wordfast. Copy/paste the target back online, click 'done' and it is indeed done, with confirmation of the amount due etc.

Nothing to stop me replying to the original email if I have a query - there's a very responsive human being at the other end, not a black hole. For me, it's a perfect interface. But it's an exception.
Collapse

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:39
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
It's so comforting to know I'm not alone Oct 22, 2015

Each one is different, and the PMs get impatient when you have trouble remembering all the ins and outs. One of them requires you to change your password every 6 months and they only allow a 5-day window in which to do it. If you miss the window, you have to contact tech support and wait for a temporary password, which can take as much as a day. And they all have glitches.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you prefer to receive projects via email or through a project management platform?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »