Poll: Are you satisfied with your income as a translator?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Oct 20, 2015

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Are you satisfied with your income as a translator?".

View the poll results »

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 03:31
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Yes, to a certain extent... Oct 20, 2015

Still the same answer as before (http://www.proz.com/forum/poll_discussion/284875-poll_are_you_satisfied_with_your_income_as_a_freelance_translator_interpreter.html): If one can ignore the ups and downs that freelancing inevitably brings…

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:31
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Yes, to a certain extent Oct 20, 2015

If you count my pension from my full-time translating job, then I'd say that I'm fully satisfied.

tilak raj
tilak raj  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 08:01
Member (2012)
English to Punjabi
+ ...
Yes to a certain extent Oct 20, 2015

It is good job, I like to work. It gives satisfactory income.

Natalie Soper
Natalie Soper  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:31
French to English
+ ...
Not yet Oct 20, 2015

But then, I'm still building up my client base - I only became freelance 7 months ago

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 04:31
Spanish to English
+ ...
YTACE Oct 20, 2015

I should really have put up my rates across the board a few years ago, but (and despite government claims to the contrary) Spain is taking a long time to recover from the 2008 economic crisis, so I have done my best to keep my rates affordable for clients. I managed to raise my basic rate 25% this year for two of my regulars though, which is nice.

Anthony Baldwin
Anthony Baldwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:31
Portuguese to English
+ ...
no. Oct 20, 2015

It's been a struggle since about 2008, when W flushed as all down the drain with his unpaid for wars and tax-cuts
(and almost nothing's got any better with O, either...Clearly, I'm American, although it's clear others have been affected by the stupidity here, too...sorry, I didn't vote for these morons).
I've barely raised rates since then, and am trying to raise them now,
and I get all kinds of whining from the agencies (but not so much from private clients).
All MY ex
... See more
It's been a struggle since about 2008, when W flushed as all down the drain with his unpaid for wars and tax-cuts
(and almost nothing's got any better with O, either...Clearly, I'm American, although it's clear others have been affected by the stupidity here, too...sorry, I didn't vote for these morons).
I've barely raised rates since then, and am trying to raise them now,
and I get all kinds of whining from the agencies (but not so much from private clients).
All MY expenses have increased!
I don't care about their whining anymore...
I work way too hard to be having trouble paying the electric bill, which has gone through the roof!

[Edited at 2015-10-20 13:09 GMT]
Collapse

Alexandra Villeminey
Alexandra Villeminey  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 04:31
Member (2010)
Spanish to German
+ ...
Yes, but... Oct 20, 2015

Yes, if it wasn't for the taxes and the payment delays...

Triston Goodwin
Triston Goodwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:31
Spanish to English
+ ...
Good months and bad months Oct 20, 2015

I worry that I will have a difficult time becoming a millionaire through pure translation. I have been diversifying my income a little, in order to stave off the months of famine. I just started teaching Spanish classes in the local technical college and my app is starting to bring in clients (we just need to finalize the contract and I will have my first official client!). I also make about $10 a month from YouTube...

Paul Dixon
Paul Dixon  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 23:31
Portuguese to English
+ ...
No, not at all Oct 20, 2015

In Brazil, rates are very low and expenses (especially rents and taxes) are sky-high. Some lucky people get good incomes, but in general the situation in Brazil is very bad indeed.

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
not with middlemen, direct only Oct 20, 2015

When I worked as a translator/interpreter for some agencies (still a politically correct term, yep?), I could barely break-even after expenses and taxes, because they always tried to squeeze my payment to nil. Of course, sometimes there was a relatively generous client, but it was once per hundred (ahem!) greedy and unfair ones--no more than once or twice a year.

How come that similar (regarding the field, the difficulty, and the terms) projects are paid $3 and $20 per page?! How up
... See more
When I worked as a translator/interpreter for some agencies (still a politically correct term, yep?), I could barely break-even after expenses and taxes, because they always tried to squeeze my payment to nil. Of course, sometimes there was a relatively generous client, but it was once per hundred (ahem!) greedy and unfair ones--no more than once or twice a year.

How come that similar (regarding the field, the difficulty, and the terms) projects are paid $3 and $20 per page?! How upon the Earth one client is glad to pay $800+/h for interpreting and bonus while the other by all means wants to cut it down to under $200? Take it or leave it? Forget it.

I couldn't find the difference, nor feel satisfied with my job, until I started working with local/direct clients ONLY.
Collapse

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 23:31
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Yes, but some things have to be settled Oct 21, 2015

I'm very pleased with my income, but in order to offset the fact that I don't have annual leave, bonus payments, health plan, meal vouchers, severance fund, unemployment pay, and time counted for social security, I still have to increase it a bit to pay for these things in a private manner.
However, I would never ever return to an in-house job, because all these benefits do not offset the advantage of not having a boss, not having working hours and not having to drive to and from office ev
... See more
I'm very pleased with my income, but in order to offset the fact that I don't have annual leave, bonus payments, health plan, meal vouchers, severance fund, unemployment pay, and time counted for social security, I still have to increase it a bit to pay for these things in a private manner.
However, I would never ever return to an in-house job, because all these benefits do not offset the advantage of not having a boss, not having working hours and not having to drive to and from office every day.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Are you satisfied with your income as a translator?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »