Poll: Have you ever mentored a less experienced translator or interpreter?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Oct 8, 2015

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Have you ever mentored a less experienced translator or interpreter?".

View the poll results »

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 21:09
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Yes Oct 8, 2015

As I said before (a very similar poll) I mentored several colleagues in the past when I worked in-house…

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 22:09
Spanish to English
+ ...
Yes Oct 8, 2015

It's nice to be nice.

Noni Gilbert Riley
Noni Gilbert Riley
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Have been asked Oct 8, 2015

... which was of course flattering, but I simply don't have the time, especially because it would mean a consistent line of support, rather than very occasional short bursts.

I hope, however, that something of what I write, in posts and in Kudoz contributions, may serve as useful comments and examples.

DorothyX (X)
DorothyX (X)
France
Yes. Oct 8, 2015

Several times. Working on real stuff, against decent payment (nearly the same as mine).
The last time it was a disaster. This lady had certain potentialities, and could have been really good after some months, but in the meantime I had to correct everything, sometimes even redo things.
Her translation school (BA-level) had not learned her how to do terminology searches.
She translated "in the way she thought that it would sound nice".
The invoicing part also appeared t
... See more
Several times. Working on real stuff, against decent payment (nearly the same as mine).
The last time it was a disaster. This lady had certain potentialities, and could have been really good after some months, but in the meantime I had to correct everything, sometimes even redo things.
Her translation school (BA-level) had not learned her how to do terminology searches.
She translated "in the way she thought that it would sound nice".
The invoicing part also appeared to be complicated. She emitted a quote for every small translation and I had to return it signed by snail mail.
If not, she would not start translation (instructed to do so by proz forums).

In short, I did invest, she didn't.

[Edited at 2015-10-08 13:47 GMT]
Collapse

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 17:09
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Yes, in two different manners, Oct 8, 2015

I worked in-house managing translation teams in two companies, for a total of 4.5 years. During that time, I mentored 6 translators practically every day, but they were not beginners, only less experienced.

Now, as a ProZ Pro, I regularly mentor beginners who ask for help, but in a different manner, and for shorter periods.

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:09
English to Spanish
+ ...
Yes, for exactly 3 emails Oct 8, 2015

A former client of mine asked me if I could help her out by mentoring a physician who wanted to translate. The client was a hospital and this physician worked for this hospital. Sure, I replied, let me see a sample of your writing.

Three emails later, I stopped mentoring this person, who didn't know a lick about proper writing, let alone translation.

I lost the client shortly afterwards.

And before you say the words “big ego,” consider this: writing is
... See more
A former client of mine asked me if I could help her out by mentoring a physician who wanted to translate. The client was a hospital and this physician worked for this hospital. Sure, I replied, let me see a sample of your writing.

Three emails later, I stopped mentoring this person, who didn't know a lick about proper writing, let alone translation.

I lost the client shortly afterwards.

And before you say the words “big ego,” consider this: writing is a big part of what we do. I was asked to do a favor and I agreed on condition of the quality of this apprentice's writing.

There is a point in the life of anybody who has been writing poorly that her writing habits are too ingrained to be corrected. You risk alienating her, even offending her.

Mentoring is a byword, a buzzword really, that is supposed to stand for masters teaching apprentices the ropes. It's a very old learning model for professions and crafts.
Collapse

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
yes Oct 9, 2015

like neilmac, I say it's nice to be nice.

I've mostly mentored as an employee but I consider that bright young translators deserve a helping hand, after all I got plenty of help when I was young.

There was one who did test my patience to the absolute limit and very wisely decided that translation was not for her, but there have been others who are now well established and who sometimes send work my way when they can't handle it all...
See more
like neilmac, I say it's nice to be nice.

I've mostly mentored as an employee but I consider that bright young translators deserve a helping hand, after all I got plenty of help when I was young.

There was one who did test my patience to the absolute limit and very wisely decided that translation was not for her, but there have been others who are now well established and who sometimes send work my way when they can't handle it all
Collapse

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:09
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Yes Oct 9, 2015

I taught translation at Georgetown University for many years and supervised a large team of in-house and freelance translators as head of a translation service.

Today I still give basic advice to beginning translators when they contact me. But I don't attempt to teach them the craft per se. I just give them advice about how to get started in their career.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Have you ever mentored a less experienced translator or interpreter?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »