Poll: What makes you happier: winning a project or finishing it?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Sep 17, 2015

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "What makes you happier: winning a project or finishing it?".

This poll was originally submitted by Natalia Pedrosa. View the poll results »

Mary Worby
Mary Worby  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:36
German to English
+ ...
Other Sep 17, 2015

Getting paid for it!

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Oh yeah! Sep 17, 2015

Mary Worby wrote:

Getting paid for it!

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:36
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Getting work, finishing it, and getting paid Sep 17, 2015

Those are the thrills I live for.

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Winning? Sep 17, 2015

I guess I feel happiest when I've satisfactorily completed an order and dispatched it in good time - and getting paid on time, of course, which this poll didn't mention.
I don't view the situation as "winning a project" but rather as receiving an order.

DianeGM
DianeGM  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:36
Member (2006)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Both ... Sep 17, 2015

though the expression 'winning a project' is odd.
I also like sending the invoice.
And like Mary said, getting paid for it doesn't hurt either.

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 17:36
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
What's 'winning' a project? Sep 17, 2015

Muriel Vasconcellos wrote:

Getting work, finishing it, and getting paid

Those are the thrills I live for.

That's it, Muriel!

I don't take translation as a spectator sport.
Though some athletes earn a living from their performance in sports, it's not my case.

I definitely don't race against a crowd, anxiously hoping to win for having offered the lowest rate among them.

When I am offered a job, I first check if I am skilled do it properly. (If not, I'll suggest them a colleague who is, if I know one.) If yes, I'll tell the prospect my price, terms, and conditions to do it. If they think my offer represents a good cost/benefit, they'll hire me, I'll finish it, and get paid.

What really makes me happy?
Two possibilities:
a) When they return - between a few days and a couple of years later - with more work for me to do; and
b) When a new prospect contacts me, saying that I was recommended by a previous client who liked my work.

Helen Hagon
Helen Hagon  Identity Verified
Member (2011)
Russian to English
+ ...
Finishing Sep 17, 2015

Winning a project, especially a large one, is exciting, but also a little bit scary. No matter how carefully I may have planned, there are always 'what ifs' in the back of my mind. What if the project is not what I had expected? What if something unforeseen happens and I can't meet the deadline? What if there is terminology I don't understand? And so on. Finishing a project, though, is a different experience entirely. There is a sense of relief that I managed to get to the end on time and hand o... See more
Winning a project, especially a large one, is exciting, but also a little bit scary. No matter how carefully I may have planned, there are always 'what ifs' in the back of my mind. What if the project is not what I had expected? What if something unforeseen happens and I can't meet the deadline? What if there is terminology I don't understand? And so on. Finishing a project, though, is a different experience entirely. There is a sense of relief that I managed to get to the end on time and hand over a quality piece of work, keeping my side of the bargain. The bigger or harder the project, the greater the relief at the end. Of course, if payment then arrives on time, that is even better.Collapse

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Julian Holmes
Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 05:36
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
Other Sep 17, 2015

The Champagne at the end. Of course, as Helen says "The bigger or harder the project, the greater the relief at the end." Thumbs up for that! Especially, if you get a pat on the back from the customer.

In fact, I got two big 'Thank yous' from two customers, one today and one yesterday. That made me very happy since both projects were very challenging for entirely different reasons. ...
See more
The Champagne at the end. Of course, as Helen says "The bigger or harder the project, the greater the relief at the end." Thumbs up for that! Especially, if you get a pat on the back from the customer.

In fact, I got two big 'Thank yous' from two customers, one today and one yesterday. That made me very happy since both projects were very challenging for entirely different reasons.

Oh dear, there seems to have been an immoderate comment removed before mine. I really can't imagine why for such a benign poll topic. Was it a 4-pointer?
Collapse

Vera Schoen
Vera Schoen  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 22:36
Member (2008)
German to Swedish
+ ...
Exactly Sep 17, 2015

Jenny Forbes wrote:

I guess I feel happiest when I've satisfactorily completed an order and dispatched it in good time

My feelings exactly.

Maxi Schwarz
Maxi Schwarz  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:36
German to English
+ ...
neither, really Sep 17, 2015

Like a few colleagues have mentioned, projects aren't something to be "won". We get translation requests, accept the ones we are qualified for and have the time for, do them, send them, and get paid. After a few thousand it tends to be routine. I do feel happy if I've done an especially good job on something less routine, or on the rare occasion when my work has actually made a clear difference in someone's life.

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 22:36
French to English
what really makes me happy Sep 18, 2015

is when the client comes back for more

and what makes me ecstatic

is when they tell me they like my work

and what sends me right over the moon and round again

is when they tell me they loved the little pun I squeezed in (against the advice of my proofreader) and add that, since it works in the source language too they're going to start using my pun all over the place

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: What makes you happier: winning a project or finishing it?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »