Poll: Have you attended any course to strengthen your expertise after you started working as a translator?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Sep 4, 2015

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Have you attended any course to strengthen your expertise after you started working as a translator?".

View the poll results »

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 11:46
Spanish to English
+ ...
No Sep 4, 2015

Too busy working and acquiring experience hands-on.

Julian Holmes
Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 18:46
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
Yes Sep 4, 2015

Lots of factory visits and product orientation sessions in customer showrooms or training centers.

I'm a technical translator.

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
English to French
Other? Sep 4, 2015

Isn't it a "closed" question?
Logically, either you attended a course to strengthen your expertise after you started working as a translator (yes, my reply), or you haven't attended any course to strengthen your expertise after you started working as a translator (answer No).

I can't see any middle way.

Philippe

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 10:46
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Yes! Sep 4, 2015

When I worked in-house, translators were actively encouraged to learn as many official EU languages as one could. I attended Swedish and Greek courses, but soon discovered that learning those languages was a real struggle, so I decided to turn my attention to Italian and to keep on perfecting my other 3 source languages: French, English and Spanish.

I also went to lots of translation related seminars, conferences, workshops and experts meetings on topical issues like Fighting Povert
... See more
When I worked in-house, translators were actively encouraged to learn as many official EU languages as one could. I attended Swedish and Greek courses, but soon discovered that learning those languages was a real struggle, so I decided to turn my attention to Italian and to keep on perfecting my other 3 source languages: French, English and Spanish.

I also went to lots of translation related seminars, conferences, workshops and experts meetings on topical issues like Fighting Poverty and Social Exclusion, Donor Coordination and Aid Effectiveness, EU Enlargement and Integration, Concrete Consequences of EU Membership, ACP-EU Economic Interest Groups, Cooperation between Regional and Local Governments and Civil Society Organizations, Double the Translation Challenge…

Since then, nothing!
Collapse

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:46
English to Spanish
+ ...
A yes-no poll, but… Sep 4, 2015

…it reminds me of something that has been hovering over my thoughts about translator education.

Here in America there's this buzzword, training, that is being applied to anything that has to do with education. Especially translator and interpreter education.

Government agencies, state organizations, corporations, hospitals, colleges and universities, even translators associations talk more about training translators or interpreters than educating them.
... See more
…it reminds me of something that has been hovering over my thoughts about translator education.

Here in America there's this buzzword, training, that is being applied to anything that has to do with education. Especially translator and interpreter education.

Government agencies, state organizations, corporations, hospitals, colleges and universities, even translators associations talk more about training translators or interpreters than educating them.

Sure, I have attended university classes and seminars, symposia, as well as long and short courses on a number of subjects. As an in-house translator, I have received education on appropriate company courses.

The word training as it is used here in America evokes in me the idea of a short period of time to hone a number of given skills to achieve a preconceived level of competence in a profession or trade.

For example, training for brazing (a form of welding) as part of a minimum set of skills could take as little as four classroom hours (reference: http://www.lucasmilhaupt.com/en-US/training/nate/).

Most college translation and interpreting certificates go for as long as 1 year.

My direct experience teaching technical translation courses for a highly recognized private university in New York has informed me that their individual courses (the final certificate requires the completion of several, with a few electives) go for as long as 10 weeks. In other words, ten in-class sessions. Each course costs about $700 (US dollars) to the student. It sounds like a bargain, right? Imagine yourself a beginner translator who wants to be, say, a medical translator. Well, this university has the $700 10-week course for you!

There are many ways to strengthen our expertise, whether we are translators or plumbers or dentists: practice, book reading, classroom study, formal and structured courses, etc. We pick and choose based on our economics and personal preferences, and peer pressure.
Collapse

Marjolein Snippe
Marjolein Snippe  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2012)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Yes Sep 4, 2015

When I had a bit of time, I participated in a couple of MOOCs (massive open online courses) on Human Physiology and on vaccine trials. I enjoyed both and I do believe they were useful, to some extent, for a better understanding of some of the texts I translate. I did another one on statistical analysis but had to give it up halfway through due to time restraints. I am planning to do another one at some point, when I have a bit of time - some of them are given by excellent lecturers from good uni... See more
When I had a bit of time, I participated in a couple of MOOCs (massive open online courses) on Human Physiology and on vaccine trials. I enjoyed both and I do believe they were useful, to some extent, for a better understanding of some of the texts I translate. I did another one on statistical analysis but had to give it up halfway through due to time restraints. I am planning to do another one at some point, when I have a bit of time - some of them are given by excellent lecturers from good universities.Collapse

Natalia Pedrosa
Natalia Pedrosa
Spain
Member (2012)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Two-year Bachelor's Degree Sep 4, 2015

Hi colleagues,

Over the next two years I will be attending a Bachelor's Degree in English with 20-year-olders.

Any tip on how I should behave with them, since I am a little put off?

Cheers to everyone!

Natalia

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 06:46
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Indeed Sep 4, 2015

Philippe Etienne wrote:

Isn't it a "closed" question?
Logically, either you attended a course to strengthen your expertise after you started working as a translator (yes, my reply), or you haven't attended any course to strengthen your expertise after you started working as a translator (answer No).

I can't see any middle way.

Philippe

I have taken many courses that strengthened my expertise in many areas (a lot actually), however, none of them specifically in translation techniques, language, or the like. They were all in specific areas of Tech/engineering, Law/contracts/patents, and Business/finance. Yet, I can guarantee that these courses were a lot more profitable to my career than any course in translation, language, etc. would have been, as we can clearly see by the level of the translators specialized in translation/languages as compared to those specialized in the areas they translate.

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:46
English to Spanish
+ ...
20-year-olds Sep 5, 2015

Natalia Pedrosa wrote:

Hi colleagues,

Over the next two years I will be attending a Bachelor's Degree in English with 20-year-olders.

Any tip on how I should behave with them, since I am a little put off?

Cheers to everyone!

Natalia

That depends, Natalia. Are you put off by age difference or by a perceived gap in experience or in serious attitude towards studying?

I would say, behave just like you always do.

Julian Holmes
Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 18:46
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
20 year olds#2 Sep 5, 2015

Mario Chavez wrote:

Natalia Pedrosa wrote:

Any tips on how I should behave with them, since I am a little put off?

Natalia

I would say, behave just like you always do.

Yes, just be yourself and don't dumb down your language to their level. Lead by example.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Have you attended any course to strengthen your expertise after you started working as a translator?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »