Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: Do you actively market your language services?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Sep 2, 2015

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you actively market your language services?".

This poll was originally submitted by samah A. fattah. View the poll results »

Julian Holmes
Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 11:51
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
Hmm, yes Sep 2, 2015

sort of, I guess

But my idea of 'active' might appear 'lethargic' or 'listless' to others. It's all a matter of perception. Some kind of benchmark or definition for 'actively' would be useful.

But I never mass-mail. I get heaps of those everyday - God knows where they get my address - and they're destined for Trash right away.

Erzsébet Czopyk
Erzsébet Czopyk  Identity Verified
Hungary
Local time: 04:51
Member (2006)
Russian to Hungarian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
facing a relocation Sep 2, 2015

I think I have to, planning and preparing my new life in another country... I actively seek new customers in/around the UK, Isle of Man and overseas.

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 03:51
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Another vote for "sort of, I guess" Sep 2, 2015

Julian Holmes wrote:
But my idea of 'active' might appear 'lethargic' or 'listless' to others. It's all a matter of perception. Some kind of benchmark or definition for 'actively' would be useful.

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 23:51
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
No, but I use passive marketing Sep 2, 2015

I envision "active marketing" as prospecting and contacting potential clients. While I did some campaigns focused on translation agencies in the past, I haven't done this for a few years already.

However I've built a useful-information-packed web site that keeps itself well positioned in search engines on its own, i.e. without any cash investment in SEO, ever. This has been a major sour
... See more
I envision "active marketing" as prospecting and contacting potential clients. While I did some campaigns focused on translation agencies in the past, I haven't done this for a few years already.

However I've built a useful-information-packed web site that keeps itself well positioned in search engines on its own, i.e. without any cash investment in SEO, ever. This has been a major source of new potential clients every single day.

Peer-to-peer networking is my second major source of new clients. I know a considerable number of colleagues offering specialized translation services and, likewise, I am known by numerous colleagues for my specialties.

And the third major source of new clients is good customer service which, on its turn, leads past clients to refer their friends, colleagues and relatives to me, when these need services that I can provide.

All three are, according to my book, passive marketing. Of course, if and when it fails to keep me busy enough, I'll switch to active marketing.
Collapse

Venkatesh Sundaram
Venkatesh Sundaram  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 08:21
German to English
Not these days Sep 2, 2015

I used to 'market' my language services a bit more actively than I do these days

Michel Virasolvy
Michel Virasolvy  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
Do it sometimes, but stopped a bit after getting "enough" regulars. Sep 2, 2015

As mentioned in a previous poll a good minimal number of clients to regularly provide jobs is 5, but even at lower amounts I do get clients bursting out of nowhere with yet another job to immediately/urgently tackle with "possible long term collaboration" at stake. Fortunately enough, part of those "gentlemen" also become regulars, so that applying to jobs offers of ProZ is no longer an absolute necessity. I'd tend to think that in the end, ProZ is somehow a very good asset to first find out if ... See more
As mentioned in a previous poll a good minimal number of clients to regularly provide jobs is 5, but even at lower amounts I do get clients bursting out of nowhere with yet another job to immediately/urgently tackle with "possible long term collaboration" at stake. Fortunately enough, part of those "gentlemen" also become regulars, so that applying to jobs offers of ProZ is no longer an absolute necessity. I'd tend to think that in the end, ProZ is somehow a very good asset to first find out if you're cut for the job, and not (as I first thought) to really develop your network.Collapse

samah A. fattah
samah A. fattah  Identity Verified
Egypt
Member (2009)
English to Arabic
+ ...
Marketing Sep 2, 2015

Dears

Thank you for sharing your opinions
But, I believe that Marketing is essential for your freelancing career

Samah And Elfattah

564354352 (X)
564354352 (X)  Identity Verified
Denmark
Danish to English
+ ...
Sporadically, yes Sep 2, 2015

I hate writing self-promoting letters to potential clients, so I don't do as much marketing as I probably ought to.

In Denmark, it is illegal to send uninvited marketing emails, so any 'marketing' has to be done via snail mail, even more tedious, in my view.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
No Sep 2, 2015

Far from it - in fact, I'm currently beating off potential clients with the proverbial stick. I'm also offering a higher rate to new clients as a further deterrent...

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 03:51
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
You clearly aren't marketing Sep 2, 2015

neilmac wrote:
Far from it - in fact, I'm currently beating off potential clients with the proverbial stick. I'm also offering a higher rate to new clients as a further deterrent...

"beating off", "stick", "deterrent" - no, those aren't normal marketing terms.

Triston Goodwin
Triston Goodwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:51
Spanish to English
+ ...
Yes Sep 2, 2015

I want to work as little as possible, which means that I need to charge as much as possible. Not only that, but I've grown very tired of dealing with agency clients, so I am actively marketing my skills to potential clients. Especially now that I have my app up and running (I only need one good client a year!).

I started to list everything that I'm doing, but it was almost two pages long and I figured no one was really that interested in my app or my YouTube channel.

Maxi Schwarz
Maxi Schwarz  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:51
German to English
+ ...
Essential? Sep 2, 2015

samah A. fattah wrote:

Dears

I've thought about marketing actively a couple of times recently, but each time I get snowed under by so many translation requests, that there is no time for it. The question being, if after 25 years word of mouth and reputation seem to have created a viable business, can I actually accept that marketing is "essential"? After all, if you're busy working with customers coming to you, that seems to argue for a passive marketing (which I'm not sure if it will count as marketing)

Triston Goodwin
Triston Goodwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:51
Spanish to English
+ ...
Marketing vs. Advertising Sep 2, 2015

Maxi Schwarz wrote:

samah A. fattah wrote:

Dears

I've thought about marketing actively a couple of times recently, but each time I get snowed under by so many translation requests, that there is no time for it. The question being, if after 25 years word of mouth and reputation seem to have created a viable business, can I actually accept that marketing is "essential"? After all, if you're busy working with customers coming to you, that seems to argue for a passive marketing (which I'm not sure if it will count as marketing)

I generally use the definitions that they taught me in my marketing/advertising classes at the university.

Marketing is building and maintaining a mutually beneficial relationship with a client; while advertising is telling them that you exist.

Keeping your clients happy, and generating word of mouth, is part marketing. Advertising would be like creating a profile here and answering kudoz to rank higher, or standing in front of your house with a big neon sign offering your services.

I think that's why some say that marketing is so essential.

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Nah, quality sells itslef Sep 2, 2015

Sic

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you actively market your language services?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »