Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: How many monitors do you use in your work?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Elif Baykara Narbay
Elif Baykara Narbay  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 02:28
German to Turkish
+ ...
1 Aug 20, 2015

but as soon as possible, I will arrange my working space with a larger desk and 2 monitors.

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 20:28
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
1, but a big one Aug 20, 2015

When I saw the engineers using two monitors I thought that was great, and I could do the same. However, that makes your desk even more confusing, with more cables, more buttons to press, more hardware to configure, etc. I chose to buy a wide screen, and I think it works a lot better, and gives me a sensation of more cleanliness (remember 5S!).
Now, I'm going to buy a superwide screen, where I can still have two documents opened side by side, however in full width, all in a single screen.<
... See more
When I saw the engineers using two monitors I thought that was great, and I could do the same. However, that makes your desk even more confusing, with more cables, more buttons to press, more hardware to configure, etc. I chose to buy a wide screen, and I think it works a lot better, and gives me a sensation of more cleanliness (remember 5S!).
Now, I'm going to buy a superwide screen, where I can still have two documents opened side by side, however in full width, all in a single screen.
It's my next purchase for sure.

BTW: I use the LG ultrawide. I can open 3 documents side by side in full with, but only one drive and one cable on my desk. It's 55 cm long, but its height is only about 40 cm, so it's not a giant screen in front of me, just long widhwise. More like a giant chocolate bar. Perfect.

[Edited at 2015-08-20 22:48 GMT]
Collapse

William Murphy
William Murphy  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 01:28
Member (2009)
Italian to English
+ ...
3 Aug 20, 2015

One for source, one for target, and one for e-mail and web searches.
I got tired of pulling and putting things up and down things constantly on one screen, not to mention my eyes need that text as large as possible...
I have laptops and single-monitor computers in the house for other purposes but, as far as work is concerned I now only feel comfortable with this set up.

Jaime Oriard
Jaime Oriard  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 17:28
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Normally 2, but sometimes 1 or 3 Aug 20, 2015

It all depends on the task, the source document, etc.

I turn on my monitors as I need them. I'll be changing my main setup in the following month and I'm considering a desktop with 3 large monitors (mainly for DTP).

IMO, for most translation work, though, 1 monitor is enough; 2 is a bit more comfortable.

ThompsonText
ThompsonText  Identity Verified

Local time: 00:28
French to English
+ ...
2, one portrait and one landscape Aug 24, 2015

Two monitors, both of which can be swivelled between portrait and landscape.
Particularly useful for DTP work or work where layout is important and the document is in portrait orientation, as it allows you to have the text at a nice large readable size while still seeing the big picture of the whole page.
I'll usually have the document on one screen and other stuff (reference, instructions, QA checklist etc) on the other.

Chris.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: How many monitors do you use in your work?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »