Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: Do you respond to enquiries for potential jobs?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Maxi Schwarz
Maxi Schwarz  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:08
German to English
+ ...
I didn't understand the question Aug 13, 2015

Like someone else wrote, all jobs are initially potential. An end client or translation company asks whether you can translate a certain document. It's potential. You say you can do it, and what your fee and turnaround time is - a bit more potential. The client declines the price or deadline - fizzle. The client accepts so it's a go. Potential has become reality.

Helen Hagon
Helen Hagon  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:08
Member (2011)
Russian to English
+ ...
Yes Aug 13, 2015

If someone has contacted me directly then I think it is both polite and professional to reply in some way or other, even if it's only to say that I am busy at the moment or the work is outside my field of expertise. If they want more information about me, I might point them in the direction of my Proz profile or my website, rather than sending a CV.

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
If there's really a potential job Aug 13, 2015

I no longer respond to requests by agencies seeking to fill their database, unless it's a new agency that seems interesting. Nor do I take part in tenders - all paperwork and hot air.

But if there's a real job in the offing, I'm quite happy. With a bit of luck there won't be a daft deadline as the agency has been proactive and got everything sorted out.

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Almost always Aug 14, 2015

Like most here, I almost always reply to job enquiries - I think it would be rude and unprofessional not to - even if the enquiry concerns a field remote from my special fields, for a deadline I'm too busy to meet or for a rate way below my own, giving my reasons for declining.
One exception is a large agency which has somehow included me in their database. Their jobs are ALWAYS offered at half my rate or less. I used to reply explaining why I was declining - their rate - but still the "of
... See more
Like most here, I almost always reply to job enquiries - I think it would be rude and unprofessional not to - even if the enquiry concerns a field remote from my special fields, for a deadline I'm too busy to meet or for a rate way below my own, giving my reasons for declining.
One exception is a large agency which has somehow included me in their database. Their jobs are ALWAYS offered at half my rate or less. I used to reply explaining why I was declining - their rate - but still the "offers" come. I've emailed this agency asking to be removed from their database but it makes no difference. So I don't reply to them any more. There is no "unsubscribe" option at the bottom of their messages. They go "straight to trash".
Collapse

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 16:08
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Always, sometimes, and never: Aug 14, 2015

* Always: When I receive an e-mail directed to me (with my name on the first/greeting line), stating where the person found me or who indicated me. Then, it's a matter of politeness, to say the least, in addition to a potential job. If the e-mail identifies the client (name, company, website, etc.) and sounds professional, the reply will be a positive will to negotiate. Otherwise, just a polite decline (of course the Blue Board will make a difference).

* Sometimes: When a job is pos
... See more
* Always: When I receive an e-mail directed to me (with my name on the first/greeting line), stating where the person found me or who indicated me. Then, it's a matter of politeness, to say the least, in addition to a potential job. If the e-mail identifies the client (name, company, website, etc.) and sounds professional, the reply will be a positive will to negotiate. Otherwise, just a polite decline (of course the Blue Board will make a difference).

* Sometimes: When a job is posted in ProZ: if the agency has an average evaluation above 4.6 and no complaints of non-payment for the last 12 months in the Blue Board; the subject is interesting and I feel comfortable with it; the volume is interesting or the client mentions future potential jobs in addition to the one announced; the text is well written and sounds professional; the agency is NOT from China or India. And when I receive the offer by e-mail, depending on all conditions above and other aspects you can identfy from the type of email/message you receive, but these are very rare. In these cases, a reply is reasonable. Otherwise, not even a reply is deserved, IMO.

* Never: When you notice the e-mail is a standard sent to many people, not mentioning your name anywhere. When the sender's first and last name, position and company/agency are not mentioned. When the message doesn't sound professional or is very poorly written (Google Trans stuff), or when it's a Chinese or Indian agency/client. In these cases, the message goes straight to the trash can, with no reply.
Collapse

island-vlad
island-vlad  Identity Verified
English to Russian
+ ...
No guarantee Aug 15, 2015

If the job offer is potential, I have some mixed feelings about this event. First, I doubt whether I will be free by that time. Second, there are so many unclear aspects that it's hard to tell someone can take such an offer seriously. Third, the potential job offers have too many bids, so these offers are hopeless as a rule. Yes, I respond, but with no guarantee

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you respond to enquiries for potential jobs?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »