Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: Do you use a laptop or a desktop computer for work?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Jul 27, 2015

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you use a laptop or a desktop computer for work?".

This poll was originally submitted by Cristina Lo Bianco. View the poll results »

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 23:38
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
I use both, but not equally! Jul 27, 2015

Since my children left home, I don’t take family vacations any more, but very long “weekends” throughout the year and an odd day whenever I feel like it and I never leave my laptop or notebook behind (I like checking my mails and one never knows when an emergency might arise). For family reasons, I keep traveling a lot between Brussels and Lisbon (at least once a month) and having my notebook with me for emailing and surfing helps pass the time waiting for flights…

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:38
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Desktop exclusively Jul 27, 2015

Since I don't go places very much, and since I love a BIG screen with sometimes three texts lined up side by side, it's the way I work best. Also, I use an expensive mechanical keyboard that doesn't travel very easily. The keyboard enables me to type very fast.

Billh
Billh
Spanish to English
+ ...
Laptop exclusively Jul 27, 2015

I DO move about a lot. I have similar second monitors in three locations which I move between though.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 00:38
Spanish to English
+ ...
Mostly desktop Jul 27, 2015

I generally prefer working on a desktop from a fixed workstation with elbow room, so I have 2 PCs and 2 laptops and keep them updated and ready at all times in case one of them fails and I need to keep on working without more than a few minutes interruption.
It also comes in handy when colleagues or visitors (or their kids!) need a computer. In fact, I originally bought the 2nd laptop and equipped it with a Spanish interface and OS, etc for a (Spanish) friend and colleague who is a MAC us
... See more
I generally prefer working on a desktop from a fixed workstation with elbow room, so I have 2 PCs and 2 laptops and keep them updated and ready at all times in case one of them fails and I need to keep on working without more than a few minutes interruption.
It also comes in handy when colleagues or visitors (or their kids!) need a computer. In fact, I originally bought the 2nd laptop and equipped it with a Spanish interface and OS, etc for a (Spanish) friend and colleague who is a MAC user, to circumvent compatibility issues when we are working together. When she's not around I mostly keep it linked up to the TV for entertainment purposes.

My backup PC is currently having occasional wifi connection problems, but apart from that it's all good-to-go.

PS: If I want 2 screens, for example with PDFs, I just set up a laptop beside my main PC and there you go!

[Edited at 2015-07-27 10:36 GMT]
Collapse

Niina Lahokoski
Niina Lahokoski  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 01:38
Member (2008)
English to Finnish
+ ...
Laptop + keyboard and monitor Jul 27, 2015

I only have a laptop, but some 6 months ago I bought a 27 inch screen and an ergonomic keyboard - and now I don't understand how I could do so many years without them! The screen has a max. resolution of 2560x1440 which gives extra space - although I had to buy an adapter to actually get that with my laptop.
Added: a mouse, of course, even when traveling! I never ever could get used to the touch pad.

I use both screens: the email and browser are open on the laptop screen all t
... See more
I only have a laptop, but some 6 months ago I bought a 27 inch screen and an ergonomic keyboard - and now I don't understand how I could do so many years without them! The screen has a max. resolution of 2560x1440 which gives extra space - although I had to buy an adapter to actually get that with my laptop.
Added: a mouse, of course, even when traveling! I never ever could get used to the touch pad.

I use both screens: the email and browser are open on the laptop screen all the time, and the big screen accommodates CAT tool window(s) etc. and another browser window.

[Edited at 2015-07-27 17:39 GMT]
Collapse

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Desktop Jul 27, 2015

Even more so since my laptop has "departed".

James A. Walsh
James A. Walsh
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Laptop set up as a desktop Jul 27, 2015

As in, the laptop sits on a desk stand to ensure that the screen is at the right height for my eyes (so no neck tilting involved), and I have a standard external keyboard attached, which effectively renders it a desktop set up. Then whenever I need to go somewhere, I just disconnect it from this and have my standalone laptop again. Works for me.

564354352 (X)
564354352 (X)  Identity Verified
Denmark
Danish to English
+ ...
Laptop Jul 27, 2015

But with a 'proper' keyboard and a separate monitor. I have never felt an urge to take the laptop with me anywhere, I just prefer laptops to desktops because they are smaller and prettier. And less noisy, or at least my beloved old Lenovo was... should never have opted for an HP when I replaced that...

However, I hate the cramped space and the mouse on the laptop keyboard, so I hardly ever use those.

Wouldn't mind a bigger monitor, though, as the desktop monitor is only
... See more
But with a 'proper' keyboard and a separate monitor. I have never felt an urge to take the laptop with me anywhere, I just prefer laptops to desktops because they are smaller and prettier. And less noisy, or at least my beloved old Lenovo was... should never have opted for an HP when I replaced that...

However, I hate the cramped space and the mouse on the laptop keyboard, so I hardly ever use those.

Wouldn't mind a bigger monitor, though, as the desktop monitor is only 20 inches. I'm going green with envy hearing about Nina's 27-inch screen!
Collapse

M. Anna Kańduła
M. Anna Kańduła  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Polish
Always a laptop Jul 27, 2015

My laptop has been customised for my work needs, so I find it comfortable and sufficient. And if I need to be mobile, I still can, although generally the laptop serves as a desktop computer up to external speakers.

Natalie Soper
Natalie Soper  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Laptop (with a mouse) Jul 27, 2015

Although I'm considering the move to a desktop computer more and more...sometimes I wish my screen was bigger!

Rebecca Garber
Rebecca Garber  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:38
Member (2005)
German to English
+ ...
3 laptops Jul 27, 2015

All configured for various programs.

We have elderly parents, and it has been necessary in the past, and it will be necessary in the future, to pack up the office and stay with them for several weeks at a time.

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 19:38
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
I have used a laptop Jul 27, 2015

a few times, while traveling, and there is no comparison.

So I sometimes use my laptop, but as Niina mentioned, with a keyboard and a moitor attached to it, which automatically turns it into a desktop.

Those who answered "laptop with a keyboard and monitor" actually answered "desktop".

[Edited at 2015-07-27 15:38 GMT]

Erzsébet Czopyk
Erzsébet Czopyk  Identity Verified
Hungary
Member (2006)
Russian to Hungarian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
mostly desktop Jul 27, 2015

I organized a small office in my tiny room (owl nest) below my high bed, with a large desk, right by the window, 2 screens, put beside a huge copy/fax/scan machine - the only thing I need more is a nice coffee maker and then you can even lock me for years))

[Edited at 2015-07-27 15:59 GMT]

Laura Bissio CT
Laura Bissio CT  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 19:38
English to Spanish
+ ...
AIO desktop synchronized with my laptop Jul 27, 2015

23 inch main monitor + second monitor + keyboard and mouse; always synchronized info in my laptop (as backup and to be able to move whenever necessary)
This combo works perfectly for me.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you use a laptop or a desktop computer for work?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »