Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: Do you use a laptop or a desktop computer for work?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Jose Arnoldo Rodriguez-Carrington
Jose Arnoldo Rodriguez-Carrington  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 04:06
English to Spanish
+ ...
Laptop with additional large screen and mouse. Jul 27, 2015

Although many feel that they type more easily or comfortably on a normal keyboard, a good laptop with a full keyboard works fine for me, and when I am at my desk I have an extra large screen, which makes it very comfortable, and it is easy to carry anywhere I like, both at home and away (without the extra screen, naturally). I work at my desk, in the garden, dining room, even in bed. I made a special bed table for my laptop, with a flat area on the left side for the mouse, since I am left hande... See more
Although many feel that they type more easily or comfortably on a normal keyboard, a good laptop with a full keyboard works fine for me, and when I am at my desk I have an extra large screen, which makes it very comfortable, and it is easy to carry anywhere I like, both at home and away (without the extra screen, naturally). I work at my desk, in the garden, dining room, even in bed. I made a special bed table for my laptop, with a flat area on the left side for the mouse, since I am left handed.

I have never been comfortable with touchpads. A mouse works much better for me.
Collapse

Henry Schroeder
Henry Schroeder  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:06
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
The neck tilt and posture are terrible with the laptop Jul 27, 2015

I work on a laptop all the time because I move around, but James has the right approach: you have to set the laptop up as a desktop to prevent strain on your body. I wish I had done this much earlier in my life...

Zhihua Liu
Zhihua Liu
China
Local time: 18:06
English to Chinese
+ ...
desktop Jul 28, 2015

I have 3 desktops and 1 laptop, which I only use when there's a power off or when I travel.
Why I don't use laptop much? The screen is too small, and the keyboard goes hot after running for a while...

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 07:06
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
As mentioned below Jul 28, 2015

The results of this query are not reliable.
Several people answered "laptop" and then mention they use a laptop with a big screen and a keyboard attached. This transforms your laptop in a desktop, or at least there is no difference between them. I believe the question was to verify how many people acutally work in a laptop, which is not the case when you attach a screen, a mouse and a keyboard to it, as you sit in a chair, in front of a desk, and all aspects of the laptop are eliminated.... See more
The results of this query are not reliable.
Several people answered "laptop" and then mention they use a laptop with a big screen and a keyboard attached. This transforms your laptop in a desktop, or at least there is no difference between them. I believe the question was to verify how many people acutally work in a laptop, which is not the case when you attach a screen, a mouse and a keyboard to it, as you sit in a chair, in front of a desk, and all aspects of the laptop are eliminated.
So forget the statistic here.

[Edited at 2015-07-28 18:23 GMT]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you use a laptop or a desktop computer for work?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »