Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: Which operating system is installed on your main computer?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Jul 16, 2015

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Which operating system is installed on your main computer?".

This poll was originally submitted by Monika Jakacka Márquez. View the poll results »

Mike Sadler (X)
Mike Sadler (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:45
Spanish to English
+ ...
Likely to be Win 10 soon though Jul 16, 2015

Mike

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 12:45
Spanish to English
+ ...
W7 Jul 16, 2015

I also had to reinstall Office 2010, because for some unfathomable reason the 2013 version won't let me work with Excel and PPT files in combination with Wordfast Classic.

Natalie Soper
Natalie Soper  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Two Jul 16, 2015

Windows 8.1 and Mac OS X. I don't know how long my little old Macbook can take the strain, but it's doing okay so far!

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
W7 Jul 16, 2015

No change!

http://www.proz.com/forum/poll_discussion/258568-poll_which_operating_system_do_you_use-page2.html

Nigel Greenwood (X)
Nigel Greenwood (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
W8 on both computers (laptop and desktop) Jul 16, 2015

And I have already reserved W10 for them as well.

Julian Holmes
Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 19:45
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
XP Jul 16, 2015

I tend to Lose whenever a new Win comes out.

I'll get the maximum mileage out of my XP machines before I upgrade to Windows 7. Expensive program upgrades resulting from new OS's just line the pockets of the software companies even further.

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:45
English to Spanish
+ ...
How old? Jul 16, 2015

Natalie Soper wrote:

Windows 8.1 and Mac OS X. I don't know how long my little old Macbook can take the strain, but it's doing okay so far!

I run OSX 10.6.8 and 10.8.5 on my 2009 MacBook Pro laptop (17 inches). How old is your MacBook?

I don't see myself running anything between Windows 7 Pro and Windows 10, and only much, much later.

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
W8 Jul 16, 2015

After my hard drive smoked itself up last year I had to move from XP to W8. This decision ranges among the worst in my life.

Yetta Jensen Bogarde
Yetta Jensen Bogarde  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2012)
English to Danish
+ ...
W.8 Jul 16, 2015

on my main desktop, as it totally freaked out when I tried to install W 8.1 - Beware
but W8.1 on my two laptops.

BTW: I was strongly warned against W 10. Some say it has serious privacy issues.

matt robinson
matt robinson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
Still can't break away from Windows Jul 16, 2015

Ubuntu 14.04 (and Windows XP Pro in a VM, to run software requested by clients). Although the WINE application is ok for some things, it can't be trusted for work. I also found a lot of formatting issues while trying to use Libreoffice ( Openoffice) with documents coming from and going into Word. I prefer the Libreoffice suite, but the world won't listen!

DianeGM
DianeGM  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:45
Member (2006)
Dutch to English
+ ...
W 8 Jul 16, 2015

I previously used XP. W8 came with my last PC and laptop purchases and it took ages to get used to and can't say we have a perfectly harmonious relationship even now, but have no plans to change 'til my next laptop and PC purchases.

Erzsébet Czopyk
Erzsébet Czopyk  Identity Verified
Hungary
Member (2006)
Russian to Hungarian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
mix Jul 16, 2015

On my desktop, Windows 7 and the good old Windows XP on virtual computer (it was possible to install by purchasing a downgrade package few years ago).
And Windows 7 on my laptop.

Erzsébet Czopyk
Erzsébet Czopyk  Identity Verified
Hungary
Member (2006)
Russian to Hungarian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
I am so... Jul 16, 2015

Thayenga wrote:

After my hard drive smoked itself up last year I had to move from XP to W8. This decision ranges among the worst in my life.

sorry for you. I was warned in time...

Andrea Riffo
Andrea Riffo  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 06:45
English to Spanish
+ ...
W7 Jul 16, 2015

So glad this came up!

My trusty laptop's currently on its deathbed and in dire need of replacement, BUT all laptops here sell with Windows 8 already installed and I'm weary of taking that step.

Do you guys know if there are important compatibility issues with memoQ and Studio 2011? Also, I'm still working with Office 2007.

(OR... how hard is it to downgrade the Windows version back to 7 if 8 is already installed??)

Thank you so much!

... See more
So glad this came up!

My trusty laptop's currently on its deathbed and in dire need of replacement, BUT all laptops here sell with Windows 8 already installed and I'm weary of taking that step.

Do you guys know if there are important compatibility issues with memoQ and Studio 2011? Also, I'm still working with Office 2007.

(OR... how hard is it to downgrade the Windows version back to 7 if 8 is already installed??)

Thank you so much!

PS: Thayenga, you're scaring me :/
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Which operating system is installed on your main computer?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »