Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: Which operating system is installed on your main computer?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:16
English to Spanish
+ ...
Some thoughts on Windows Jul 16, 2015

Andrea Riffo wrote:

So glad this came up!

My trusty laptop's currently on its deathbed and in dire need of replacement, BUT all laptops here sell with Windows 8 already installed and I'm weary of taking that step.

Do you guys know if there are important compatibility issues with memoQ and Studio 2011? Also, I'm still working with Office 2007.

(OR... how hard is it to downgrade the Windows version back to 7 if 8 is already installed??)

Thank you so much!

PS: Thayenga, you're scaring me :/

Hello, Andrea:

I encountered that situation years ago when Windows Vista came out (2006-2007). I didn't like Vista, so I asked a technician to install my Windows XP SP2 operating system on the new machine (a Fujitsu laptop, by the way). The downgrade cost me $200 but I could have done it myself, actually. Here are the steps:

1) Buy the laptop of your choice
2) Use your original (genuine) Windows operating system discs or DVDs.
3) Run a full OS installation
4) Once you finish the Windows 7 installation (I presume you have Win 7), connect to the Internet and:

A) Install an antivirus program (I recommend the free Microsoft Security Essentials)
B) Run Windows update; it will get you Windows updates, as well as drivers and software updates for your new laptop.
C) Once you are done with A and B, then install MS Office 2007 (I use it too!) and other programs.

If you need additional help, just email me.

¡Viva Chile!

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
Smoke is in your eyes…I mean, your hard drive ♫ Jul 16, 2015

Thayenga wrote:

After my hard drive smoked itself up last year I had to move from XP to W8. This decision ranges among the worst in my life.

Well, hard drive deaths are one of the worst things to happen to us. Here's how I deal with it:

1) Get the free Acronis Drive Monitor, install it and use it to monitor the SMART status of your hard drives, even your external USB ones.
2) Run basic CHKDSK maintenance tasks. The Drive Monitor will show you the health of your HDD in percentages. Your HDD will be ok if the report shows 95-99%, but start shopping around for a new one in case it drops below 90% (risk of failure and data loss).
3) Keep a brand new, formatted, ready-to-go hard drive CLONE to replace your dead one in a minute.

I've had my share of dead hard drives, so I keep two (2) identical hard drives on my desktop computer, checked on by Acronis Drive Monitor.

Any other questions, shoot me an email. Same for anyone else!

Cristiana Francone
Cristiana Francone  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:16
Romanian to Italian
+ ...
Linux Jul 17, 2015

Fedora for all my computers (desktop and laptop). No issues, all works great!

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 03:16
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
This is the Windows cycle: Jul 18, 2015

- Win 98 - Good
- Win Millenium - Sh(*)t
- Win XP - Good
- Win Vista - Sh(*)t
- Win 7 - Good
- Win 8 - Sh(*)t

Of course we have twice as many votes for Win 7 than for Win 8. Windows 8.1 is the worst O.S. in history. Most of these people who use Win 7 today (including myself in two computers) did try Win 8, for about a month, and ran desperately back to Win 7.

Let's see if MicroSoft will maintain the standard and launch a great Win 10 for al
... See more
- Win 98 - Good
- Win Millenium - Sh(*)t
- Win XP - Good
- Win Vista - Sh(*)t
- Win 7 - Good
- Win 8 - Sh(*)t

Of course we have twice as many votes for Win 7 than for Win 8. Windows 8.1 is the worst O.S. in history. Most of these people who use Win 7 today (including myself in two computers) did try Win 8, for about a month, and ran desperately back to Win 7.

Let's see if MicroSoft will maintain the standard and launch a great Win 10 for all of us Windows users. I really hope so.

[Edited at 2015-07-18 01:22 GMT]
Collapse

Andrea Riffo
Andrea Riffo  Identity Verified
Chile
English to Spanish
+ ...
. Jul 20, 2015

Mario Chavez wrote:

Hello, Andrea:

I encountered that situation years ago when Windows Vista came out (2006-2007). I didn't like Vista, so I asked a technician to install my Windows XP SP2 operating system on the new machine (a Fujitsu laptop, by the way). The downgrade cost me $200 but I could have done it myself, actually. Here are the steps:

1) Buy the laptop of your choice
2) Use your original (genuine) Windows operating system discs or DVDs.
3) Run a full OS installation
4) Once you finish the Windows 7 installation (I presume you have Win 7), connect to the Internet and:

A) Install an antivirus program (I recommend the free Microsoft Security Essentials)
B) Run Windows update; it will get you Windows updates, as well as drivers and software updates for your new laptop.
C) Once you are done with A and B, then install MS Office 2007 (I use it too!) and other programs.

If you need additional help, just email me.

¡Viva Chile!

Thank you, Mario! I'll start looking at laptops for real, then.

Greetings

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Which operating system is installed on your main computer?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »