Poll: Did you receive any help or mentoring when you were first starting your career as a freelancer?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Jul 11, 2015

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Did you receive any help or mentoring when you were first starting your career as a freelancer?".

View the poll results »

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 08:00
Spanish to English
+ ...
Other Jul 11, 2015

My mate, who I'd worked with in TEFL, first extolled to me the virtues of translation compared to teaching. He also explained a bit about Trados and its pros and cons, so, if you can call that "mentoring", I suppose that's a yes...
He also gave me my first ever CD dictionaries and other software, which were a great help when starting up (I'd just never thought of it as mentoring).
The same guy came by last week and gave me his old pool cleaner, as he'd just bought a robot one, so I
... See more
My mate, who I'd worked with in TEFL, first extolled to me the virtues of translation compared to teaching. He also explained a bit about Trados and its pros and cons, so, if you can call that "mentoring", I suppose that's a yes...
He also gave me my first ever CD dictionaries and other software, which were a great help when starting up (I'd just never thought of it as mentoring).
The same guy came by last week and gave me his old pool cleaner, as he'd just bought a robot one, so I suppose he's now my pool mentor too...

[Edited at 2015-07-11 08:19 GMT]

PS: Come to think of it, the same bloke gave my my first three chickens for my birthday a few years ago and I've never bought eggs from a shop ever since; so I suppose that would be "hen-toring"... ??

[Edited at 2015-07-11 08:22 GMT]
Collapse

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 07:00
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Other Jul 11, 2015

I only started freelancing after working 20 years in-house (in an EU institution). During my first year there, I was mentored by a senior colleague and several years later I mentored some of my junior colleagues.

Yetta Jensen Bogarde
Yetta Jensen Bogarde  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2012)
English to Danish
+ ...
No Jul 11, 2015

but before I went independent and freelance I read a few very helpful books, such as

- How to Succeed as a Freelance Translator, by Corinne McKay
- The Entrepreneurial Linguist, by Judy and Dagmar Jenner
- The wealthy freelancer, by Slaunwhite, Savage and Gandia
- A Practical Guide for Translators, by Geoffrey Samuelsson-Brown

Highly recommendable for new freelancers.

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:00
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Yes Jul 11, 2015

My first translation job was in-house (the Organization of American States). My supervisor and my senior colleagues trained me for years. All my translations were reviewed, and they gave me feedback. After a while I was promoted to reviewer status as well, and we would review one another. Every job that went out was seen by two pairs of eyes. We never knew who was going to review whom, so we always justified our corrections and used the utmost tact and courtesy. Our boss, a very nice person, set... See more
My first translation job was in-house (the Organization of American States). My supervisor and my senior colleagues trained me for years. All my translations were reviewed, and they gave me feedback. After a while I was promoted to reviewer status as well, and we would review one another. Every job that went out was seen by two pairs of eyes. We never knew who was going to review whom, so we always justified our corrections and used the utmost tact and courtesy. Our boss, a very nice person, set the tone. It was a great way to learn.Collapse

564354352 (X)
564354352 (X)  Identity Verified
Denmark
Danish to English
+ ...
Yes, business set-up help Jul 11, 2015

I'd already worked as a translator for 10 years before I went self-employed, so what I needed was help in setting up a business. A good friend set up a simple accounts system for me, which still serves me perfectly. The same friend continues to help me with advice on how to deal with clients, which I find incredibly helpful.

brg (X)
brg (X)
Netherlands
Yes of course Jul 11, 2015

MA in translation. We were mentored intensively for 2 or 3 years by our teachers, who later became fellow translators.

Paul Adie (X)
Paul Adie (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
Spanish to English
+ ...
No Jul 11, 2015

I had native Spanish/Catalan speakers who 'edited' my work in one of the places where I worked in-house. I was happy to leave.

I also mentored a graduate translator in another in-house position, but she got rather defensive when I brought up comments. Wasn't a great experience either!

Helen Hagon
Helen Hagon  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:00
Member (2011)
Russian to English
+ ...
No Jul 11, 2015

I didn't receive any formal help or mentoring. However, I have always found the translation community to be incredibly helpful and supportive. If I have any translation-related questions or problems there are any number of places I can turn to for assistance (including Proz).

Triston Goodwin
Triston Goodwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:00
Spanish to English
+ ...
Yes Jul 12, 2015

I was trained in-house for a couple of years before moving into freelance work.

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 03:00
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
When I started Jul 13, 2015

There was no such a thing as the Internet, and all the benefits that exist today. Translators were rare heroes who had only a couple of paper dictionaries to work with, and were mostly self-taught.

People cannnot conceive the possibility of life without the internet these days, but belive me, it was possible!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Did you receive any help or mentoring when you were first starting your career as a freelancer?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »