Poll: Do you work on projects that are divided among multiple translators?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Jul 8, 2015

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you work on projects that are divided among multiple translators?".

View the poll results »

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 00:24
Spanish to English
+ ...
Other Jul 8, 2015

I prefer not to - I haven't done so for ages.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 23:24
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Other Jul 8, 2015

I prefer not to, but I have occasionally worked with two former colleagues whose work I trust and very recently I have been collaborating on a HUGE project with three other translators...

... See more
I prefer not to, but I have occasionally worked with two former colleagues whose work I trust and very recently I have been collaborating on a HUGE project with three other translators...

http://www.proz.com/forum/poll_discussion/274399-poll_do_you_work_on_projects_that_are_divided_among_multiple_translators.html
Collapse

Yetta Jensen Bogarde
Yetta Jensen Bogarde  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2012)
English to Danish
+ ...
No, well Jul 8, 2015

Rarely, but it has happened...

It was usually the type of project (larger with lower rates etc.) that was the problem, not so much the fellow translators

[Edited at 2015-07-08 09:04 GMT]

[Edited at 2015-07-08 09:05 GMT]

[Edited at 2015-07-08 09:05 GMT]

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:24
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Occasionally Jul 8, 2015

We keep a running spreadsheet to be sure we're all using the same terminology. That part adds a lot of extra work to the translation. For me, the main drawback is the time spent sharing the terminology. Otherwise I don't mind doing it.

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Occasionally Jul 8, 2015

I prefer to take on a whole project myself, but I don't always want all the different sections!

I might work with others when the project is easily divided into sections, or there are several authors.

It then matters less when there are individual differences between translators.

I have worked on sections that require more knowledge of law than technology, while techie colleagues have gratefully taken on the sections I couldn't cope with!

I hav
... See more
I prefer to take on a whole project myself, but I don't always want all the different sections!

I might work with others when the project is easily divided into sections, or there are several authors.

It then matters less when there are individual differences between translators.

I have worked on sections that require more knowledge of law than technology, while techie colleagues have gratefully taken on the sections I couldn't cope with!

I have also worked on rushed jobs for tendering, where we coordinated as much as possible, but where delivering in a hurry was more important than elegant style!

I only do it when I am allowed to contact the other translators to coordinate, and of course where there is an agency I trust to keep track of everything.
Collapse

Luiz Barucke
Luiz Barucke  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 19:24
Spanish to Portuguese
+ ...
Many times Jul 8, 2015

It's not about what I prefer most, but what really happens.
On huge projects, where possible, I prefer to take the whole thing or an entire section.
But I work on small parts of long-term projects, so I have to share information during the translation, such as term bases and remote TMs. I'd love to embrace the entire world, but I don't have the time needed.

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Not willingly Jul 8, 2015

We all know what happens in a three-legged race, and that's only two people working together

Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:24
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
No, I hate it. Jul 8, 2015

But the days of working on 3 -4 projects each 15,000+ words at the same time are over I guess. Ah, such nostalgia and Weltschmerz...

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:24
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
No Jul 8, 2015

No, and I would never knowingly do so. For me its all or nothing.

Erzsébet Czopyk
Erzsébet Czopyk  Identity Verified
Hungary
Member (2006)
Russian to Hungarian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Other Jul 8, 2015

I prefer not to.

Maxi Schwarz
Maxi Schwarz  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:24
German to English
+ ...
It has happened Jul 8, 2015

I have done so occasionally for agencies who know their translators very well, and I have collaborated with another translator on occasion. It is a rare occurrence.

Triston Goodwin
Triston Goodwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:24
Spanish to English
+ ...
Yes Jul 8, 2015

I don't usually like working in groups, but I do work with my wife on most projects. It's nice to have a native speaker of the source there to make sense of some of the crazier texts we find (or to read handwriting!).

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:24
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Quite often Jul 8, 2015

Yes, I quite often work on a translation that has been divided among other translators, mainly, it seems, because of the increasing "urgency" of the work I'm offered. Not my choice or preference, of course. As Christine says, these are often tender documents or contracts which can be reasonably well divided into sections.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you work on projects that are divided among multiple translators?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »