Poll: Is all the software you use in your native language?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Jun 28, 2015

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Is all the software you use in your native language?".

View the poll results »

Nikki Scott-Despaigne
Nikki Scott-Despaigne  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:45
French to English
No (or Yes), depending on what the question is getting at Jun 28, 2015

I live in France so I almost always download with the French option. That way I get to know the termino without thinking about it. But is that the question? Is the real question whether or not the software I use available in my native language? Yes, it is.

[Edited at 2015-06-28 08:39 GMT]

Ventnai
Ventnai  Identity Verified
Spain
German to English
+ ...
A little ambiguous Jun 28, 2015

Most software is available in my native language of English, but I don't necessarily set the default language as English. In Trados, I often switch between different languages and sometimes I need to send a screenshot in a particular language - usually English or German.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
No Jun 28, 2015

I do have an all-English operating system and my main working software, Microsoft Office, in English on at least one of my PCs. This is particularly handy when translating IT-related texts, as a lot of the standard terms can be found there. I usually prefer to have English language settings on some software, but on others it may not be so important, as I'm pretty much bilingual by now.

Anecdotally, I have a version of Dragon NS in Spanish on one laptop and it seems to deal with my a
... See more
I do have an all-English operating system and my main working software, Microsoft Office, in English on at least one of my PCs. This is particularly handy when translating IT-related texts, as a lot of the standard terms can be found there. I usually prefer to have English language settings on some software, but on others it may not be so important, as I'm pretty much bilingual by now.

Anecdotally, I have a version of Dragon NS in Spanish on one laptop and it seems to deal with my accent better than the English version does!

[Edited at 2015-06-28 10:50 GMT]
Collapse

564354352 (X)
564354352 (X)  Identity Verified
Denmark
Danish to English
+ ...
No, none of it Jun 28, 2015

All my software is in English. Makes it easier to communicate with non-Danes about any issues that may occur... and issues do tend to occur, don't they?

Edit: If the question is about whether my software is available in Danish, my answer would have to be, some of it, undoubtedly, some of it probably not. I never check...

[Edited at 2015-06-28 12:30 GMT]

Julian Holmes
Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 11:45
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
No Jun 28, 2015

It's all in Japanese.

But, hey, I'm a well-weathered and gnarled J>E translator so it's no big deal. I'm a big boy. I can take what's thrown at me - even ugly 2-byte characters and vague, ambiguous interface messages that look like modern hieroglyphics. Japanese UIs aren't the prettiest things on the planet. Come on, gimme all you got!

Al Zaid
Al Zaid
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
Of course not Jun 28, 2015

My native language is Spanish, and not all the SW I use is in Spanish. About 20% is in English.
What kinda question is this anyway?

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 03:45
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
My answer surprised me Jun 28, 2015

I hadn't realised I'd switched totally to English, but I have. It was all in French until my first crash here in Spain. Then some changed to English. Second crash changed the rest, apparently. I'm staying away ftom Spanish - can't easily understand it.

My keyboard is a French AZERTY one, my phone is set to the English QWERTY layout and my laptop has the Spanish layout, but that's hardware.

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 23:45
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
No, and I don't want it to be Jun 28, 2015

The software is originally written in English. Everything is perfectly understandable, friendly, and well-explained in English. Then they decide to translate it to another language (Portuguese in my case), and make horrible things. The translations make me cry or at least make me really pissed off.

If you speak English, use the software in English. That goes from Windows to the simplest videogame. It's just like the movies. If you watch it in English, you get the message, the jokes
... See more
The software is originally written in English. Everything is perfectly understandable, friendly, and well-explained in English. Then they decide to translate it to another language (Portuguese in my case), and make horrible things. The translations make me cry or at least make me really pissed off.

If you speak English, use the software in English. That goes from Windows to the simplest videogame. It's just like the movies. If you watch it in English, you get the message, the jokes, etc. If you watch a translated version, no matter how good or bad it is, you lose a gib part of it.
Collapse

Balasubramaniam L.
Balasubramaniam L.  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 08:15
Member (2006)
English to Hindi
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
No Jun 29, 2015

Very few software are available in Hindi. The software industry is dominated by the English language.

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
No Jun 29, 2015

90% of my software is in English. This is due to the fact that some of the software is not available in German, e. g. Final Draft.

Jaime Oriard
Jaime Oriard  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 20:45
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Same here Jun 29, 2015

Mario Freitas wrote:

If you speak English, use the software in English. That goes from Windows to the simplest videogame. It's just like the movies. If you watch it in English, you get the message, the jokes, etc. If you watch a translated version, no matter how good or bad it is, you lose a gib part of it.

I couldn't have said it better.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Is all the software you use in your native language?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »