Poll: Do you ever communicate with your clients over the phone?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Jun 27, 2015

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you ever communicate with your clients over the phone?".

View the poll results »

Billh
Billh
Local time: 04:41
Spanish to English
+ ...
Very very rarely Jun 27, 2015

That's what my secretary does......

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:41
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Other: more than rarely, but not frequently Jun 27, 2015

Sometimes they will call to make sure I received their e-mail. Most phone calls take place at the start of an assignment.

As I've said elsewhere, I prefer to have everything in writing, so I always tell them I will confirm everything in an e-mail.

Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:41
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
I hate the phone Jun 27, 2015

Verym very rarely and only if they call me

Triston Goodwin
Triston Goodwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:41
Spanish to English
+ ...
I'm on my phone right now Jun 27, 2015

I have a Skype phone number that I can use from my computer or cellphone, plus a couple of email apps. Now translating on a cellphone, that's the real trick!

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 04:41
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
So do I, Angie Jun 27, 2015

I never encourage phone calls but I do have one client who tends to ring before emailing an urgent job request. Fair enough. And a handful of times in eight years I've had to ring clients if I'm having problems that mean I may not be able to fulfil their requirements by the deadline (problems with their files etc). It's better than wondering whether they've read my email but not replied or if they're blissfully unaware of the problem.

Marlene Blanshay
Marlene Blanshay  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 23:41
Member (2009)
French to English
+ ...
rarely Jun 27, 2015

Most of my clients these days are overseas. There are a few who are in my calling area more or less, and occasionally they call me to followup emails, and a couple who are in the US who call me about projects if they are urgent.
But the majority of my contact is email or occasionally, SKYPE.

Sharon Toh, MITI MCIL
Sharon Toh, MITI MCIL
Singapore
Local time: 11:41
Member (2009)
Chinese to English
+ ...
Somewhere between rarely and frequently Jun 28, 2015

I replied "Yes, but rarely", but it should be somewhere between rarely and frequently.

Some of the typical scenarios:

1. Phone Enquiries
Those who enquire about my services contact me by email, phone, the various kinds of messaging system (text messages, mobile messaging, instant messaging, etc.) or enquiry form submission on my website. Of these methods, phone calls account for a significant percentage, and a large percentage of this group of people do end up eng
... See more
I replied "Yes, but rarely", but it should be somewhere between rarely and frequently.

Some of the typical scenarios:

1. Phone Enquiries
Those who enquire about my services contact me by email, phone, the various kinds of messaging system (text messages, mobile messaging, instant messaging, etc.) or enquiry form submission on my website. Of these methods, phone calls account for a significant percentage, and a large percentage of this group of people do end up engaging my services and thus become my clients.
By the way, the clients acquired through phone enquiries come from all over the world. I think international calls are much cheaper these days...

2. People sent me emails, but they could not wait for my response. They just wanted to make sure that I have received their emails on whatever matter.

3. Some jobs require discussion with the client and a few others simultaneously over a conference call.

Otherwise, I communicate with my clients in a written form, mostly by email.
Collapse

Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:41
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
Sure... Jun 28, 2015

Sheila Wilson wrote:
It's better than wondering whether they've read my email but not replied or if they're blissfully unaware of the problem.

In special occasions it works

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you ever communicate with your clients over the phone?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »