Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: How confident are you with your translation work?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
dilemma Jun 18, 2015

Although I'm working as a translator-interpreter with my regular direct clients, I'm still considering another (non-translation) specialization in order to get... a real job)

[Edited at 2015-06-18 21:50 GMT]

Constanze Rouyer
Constanze Rouyer
France
Local time: 21:22
English to German
+ ...
What would you answer to your client? Jun 19, 2015

What would clients think, if they used this poll as a decision basis for giving away the next job... if you're not totally confident, work harder and don't stop until you do! Fairly confident translators will only get fairly good clients, that's at least what I have experienced in the last 10 years... (which doesn't mean that never oversee a typo)

Nele Van den Broeck
Nele Van den Broeck  Identity Verified
Belgium
French to Dutch
+ ...
Not really that confident yet, but I'm a starter and a perfectionist (and a pessimist) Jun 19, 2015

When I was still at university, I was really more confident about my translations than I am now, although this was only a year ago.

The big difference is that "back then", I still received marks every now and then, and they were always good, always better than the average, a lot of times a lot better than the average. This gave me confidence to some extent and I was happy.
Since graduation I have not worked as a translator, but what I did do to keep on translating, was transl
... See more
When I was still at university, I was really more confident about my translations than I am now, although this was only a year ago.

The big difference is that "back then", I still received marks every now and then, and they were always good, always better than the average, a lot of times a lot better than the average. This gave me confidence to some extent and I was happy.
Since graduation I have not worked as a translator, but what I did do to keep on translating, was translating as a volunteer. The two organisations I translate for are still sending me translations after 9 months, so in theory this should give me the same confidence. However, my pessimism doesn't allow me to feel fairly confident. For some reason, every once in a while I start doubting again, I start telling myself that there are far better translators than I am (ofcourse there are, but isn't there always someone better?). Then there is this little devilish voice in my head, telling me: "Those two organisations just return to you because you work as a volunteer, because they don't have to pay you, and because probably all of their other volunteers suck even more than you do".
I do realize that I probably don't suck (I have one paid published translated article in a well-known Belgian women's magazine as well), that I'm just being irrational, that I'm just scaring myself, but still...

But those are only the dark moments!
I absolutely love translating, most of the time I do think that my translations are good, especially when I read them again after a couple of weeks. At that moment I am feeling like "Did I really translate that?" (but in a positive way).
I just have to gain a bit more confidence (not getting overly confident either), and I think I will definitely get more of it whenever I will have returning clients.

But still, maybe it's also because of the little devil in my head that I really want to keep a full-time job as long as my freelance translation dream still lets me keep it (and afterwards I will be confident enough I think)
Collapse

Nele Van den Broeck
Nele Van den Broeck  Identity Verified
Belgium
French to Dutch
+ ...
Confidence growing again Jun 20, 2015

I just received some positive feedback from people who have read one of my translations and approved it to be posted on their website.
Ok, confidence growing again!
YES I CAN! (One day I will definitely entirely believe this myself as well)

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: How confident are you with your translation work?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »