Poll: Do you have your own business cards?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Jun 17, 2015

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you have your own business cards?".

View the poll results »

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
For my other business Jun 17, 2015

I'd never need one for translation but I got some cheap ones for my mountain bike guiding sideline:

See more
I'd never need one for translation but I got some cheap ones for my mountain bike guiding sideline:

http://www.vistaprint.co.uk/vp/gateway.aspx?s=4009498028&preurl=/share-design.aspx?doc_id=3044879385&shopper_id=GEIHK04DDHWVVGZZ7JWQGLIQI40M1TFJ&xnav=sharesource_8&share_key=4359a59b-4d36-411d-99d2-3cad088fa666

It's the perfect antidote to sitting at the computer all day. Go on, you know you want to.

Just quote discount code PROZ at the checkout

PS Beware Vistaprint's pricing: I think my £4.99 cards cost £13 in the end even without any added extras...

[Edited at 2015-06-17 10:09 GMT]
Collapse

564354352 (X)
564354352 (X)  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 12:22
Danish to English
+ ...
Yeah, and private ones, too Jun 17, 2015

Like Chris, I 'made my own' using the same site... but only for my private 'business cards'. For my business business cards, I had a proper graphic designer do the work... and the result is better and completely unique. Trouble is, I hardly ever have a chance or reason to give out my business cards... Not sure they were worth the money now...

Yetta Jensen Bogarde
Yetta Jensen Bogarde  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2012)
English to Danish
+ ...
Of course Jun 17, 2015

who has not?

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Other Jun 17, 2015

Not really. I used to have some, but I don't really need them any more. However, it's always handy to have something with your contact details on it, so I might get some made again sometime.
I was going to get some done about a year ago but only because I had to park outside a small printer's shop while waiting for someone. And if I do eventually get round to it, it won't be because I'm trying to drum up custom, as these days I'm up to my ears in work most of the time.

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
English to French
Me Jun 17, 2015

Yetta J Bogarde wrote:
who has not?

I wouldn't know who to give them to, as I hardly ever meet any customer, prospect or colleague. I suppose I have the entry "making business cards" in my to-do list, but its priority rank is so low that I never seem to get there.
Of course if I were meeting customers face-to-face, the priority rank would shoot up.

To make sure that I didn't need any, I vistaprinted a pile some years ago, and as expected, most of them ended up as creative construction design and folding art from my descendants and myself. Plus I had to think hard to bring them with me just in case they could be relevant.
And then I moved to another country, so it was eventually used as lighting aids for barbecues.

Speaking of which, the scene in the film "American psycho" is a real delight (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cISYzA36-ZY ).

Philippe

Edit for the ). incorporated to the link.

[Edited at 2015-06-17 14:42 GMT]

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:22
English to Spanish
+ ...
Yes, since graduating from university Jun 17, 2015

After I got my BA in Translation Studies and before I migrated to New York, I made some preparations, including printing a simple business card. I have no specimens left, but I recall using a serif typeface printed on wooden-like surface. My first attempt at being unique.

Every ATA conference was an opportunity to go experimental with new business cards and CVs. Back in 1992, with barely a few months of translation experience, I used a piechart to show how many thousand words of eac
... See more
After I got my BA in Translation Studies and before I migrated to New York, I made some preparations, including printing a simple business card. I have no specimens left, but I recall using a serif typeface printed on wooden-like surface. My first attempt at being unique.

Every ATA conference was an opportunity to go experimental with new business cards and CVs. Back in 1992, with barely a few months of translation experience, I used a piechart to show how many thousand words of each specialization I've done so far. I created the thing on WordPerfect, with different and silly shades of grey, and printed each sheet on ivory colored business letter paper in my dot matrix printer (remember those noisy monsters?).

One of my prospects at the conference was visibly impressed. That was the beginning of my love affair with typography, design and print, even though I didn't know it at the time.

I did try Vistaprint on a couple of occasions, but I desisted: they're good to get out of a jam but they don't look professional, even when you order the premium paper and everything.
Collapse

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 11:22
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Yes, but... Jun 17, 2015

I haven't used mine for ages and as I'm moving soon from Brussels to Lisbon (my home town) I'm thinking about making new ones...

Triston Goodwin
Triston Goodwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:22
Spanish to English
+ ...
I just ran out Jun 17, 2015

We had a conference here on exporting products and services where I met one of the world's largest manufacturers and distributors of bowling supplies My business cards have a silly design and my title is "Translator, Designer, World Changer" (re: Mystery Men).

I am, however, currently out of cards, but I did find several new clients and now I am comfortably busy.

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Yes Jun 17, 2015

In two languages: English and German.

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:22
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Absolutely Jun 17, 2015

I believe every translator should have business cards and a website. I always keep them handy and it's the primary card that I hand out.

I also have a business card for my book ("Finding My Invincible Summer") and for my landscape business (though I haven't had much time for the latter in a while).

nweatherdon
nweatherdon
Canada
French to English
+ ...
My website is my business card Jun 17, 2015

I never meet my clients in person. I have some cards for music side projects though ...

Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:22
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Yes, fifteen years ago... Jun 17, 2015

..you HAD to buy them because they were one of the requirements to be a freelance translator because so many people were suing agencies claiming that the agency was their sole source of income and therefore owed them unemployment insurance. Having a business card was one of the ways for the agency to prove that you were indeed an independent contractor and not an employee. (Other ways were having a dedicated phone line just for business, etc.). People were working for an agency for a couple of y... See more
..you HAD to buy them because they were one of the requirements to be a freelance translator because so many people were suing agencies claiming that the agency was their sole source of income and therefore owed them unemployment insurance. Having a business card was one of the ways for the agency to prove that you were indeed an independent contractor and not an employee. (Other ways were having a dedicated phone line just for business, etc.). People were working for an agency for a couple of years and then got themselves reclassified as an employee of the company and wanted all the back taxes and benefits.

Now that more and more people work freelance and people are not as confused about it, this doesn't seem to be an issue anymore.

So many things get forgotten.

[Edited at 2015-06-17 22:41 GMT]
Collapse

Andy Watkinson
Andy Watkinson  Identity Verified
Spain
Catalan to English
+ ...
No Jun 18, 2015

Muriel Vasconcellos wrote:

I believe every translator should have business cards and a website. I always keep them handy and it's the primary card that I hand out.

I also have a business card for my book ("Finding My Invincible Summer") and for my landscape business (though I haven't had much time for the latter in a while).

I've never felt the need to have either a website and most definitely not business cards: I live halfway up a mountain side; would give the goats something to munch on, I suppose ......

And yes, Muriel, we all know the name of your book and might I point about that Proz has a rule (unsurprisingly) about plugging one's products/services, etc?

Nele Van den Broeck
Nele Van den Broeck  Identity Verified
Belgium
French to Dutch
+ ...
What to put on them? Jun 19, 2015

I have two different types of "business" cards in my wallet, one for a crochet and knitting group I attend, one for a creative jewelry making group.
Both of them end up with people interested in one of those crafts.
The jewelry card consists of a logo, a short description of the group and its facebookpage.
The crochet and knitting group card consist of a logo, its facebookpage, its e-mail address and the timetable and location of where the group meets every week.

... See more
I have two different types of "business" cards in my wallet, one for a crochet and knitting group I attend, one for a creative jewelry making group.
Both of them end up with people interested in one of those crafts.
The jewelry card consists of a logo, a short description of the group and its facebookpage.
The crochet and knitting group card consist of a logo, its facebookpage, its e-mail address and the timetable and location of where the group meets every week.

I am thinking about making business cards for my translation "business" as well (starting in July), but I am not sure yet what I would put on them.
Some things I could include:
- logo which includes commercial name(I will do that)
- real name (if you are working on your own) (will do that)
- e-mail address (will do that)
- website (will do that once I have one)
- phone number: I don't know if I will... I would like to communicate through e-mail and am known to almost always answer my e-mails within one hour whenever I am awake. I'm far more difficult to reach by phone than by e-mail...
- address: I don't know if I would do that... Do I want everyone who happens to have my business card (or who might even find it on the floor somewhere) to know where I live?
I would have to mention it on invoices, but then only real clients have your address...
- language pairs: I don't know if I would include that, my languages are already in my logo as flags... then again: people do have to know the flags...
- specializations (I am still finding out what my specializations are, I already know the fields that are my off limits, but still have too much "specializations" left)

Then again: it's a business card, not a CV/brochure...

And I would probably mostly give them to other translators I meet, local translation agencies, my closest friends and family (in case they would meet someone who needs a translator one day, since I know that my closest friends and family are really the "oh, but I know someone who can help you with that"types)...
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you have your own business cards?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »