Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: How often do you upgrade your CAT tool?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Jun 16, 2015

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "How often do you upgrade your CAT tool?".

View the poll results »

Terry Richards
Terry Richards
France
Local time: 12:48
French to English
+ ...
Other Jun 16, 2015

When my WF Classic license is out of date and I have to install on a new computer or hard drive.

Charlie Bavington
Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:48
French to English
Other Jun 16, 2015

When I buy a new computer, typically.

Julian Holmes
Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 19:48
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
Other Jun 16, 2015

Most software is on auto-pilot - minor updates for bug fixes and patches are done automatically when the program is started up. Like me, most people don't have to lift a finger.

"Upgrade your CAT tool?"
You mean when a new version comes out, for instance, when Trados Studio 2011 was re-invented as Trados Studio 2014?
Presumably, when you choose to fork out the extra spondoolicks to update to the la
... See more
Most software is on auto-pilot - minor updates for bug fixes and patches are done automatically when the program is started up. Like me, most people don't have to lift a finger.

"Upgrade your CAT tool?"
You mean when a new version comes out, for instance, when Trados Studio 2011 was re-invented as Trados Studio 2014?
Presumably, when you choose to fork out the extra spondoolicks to update to the latest version if it's not for free.
Or, not at all if you don't have a CAT tool. These CAT tool questions always exclude those who prefer not to use a CAT tool.

Why ask this question in the first place?

As I write this, I just received an e-mail from a Proz.com advertising partner:

SDL Trados Studio 2014 Freelance (+ 2015) + Training + SDL AutoSuggest Creator Only €495"

Coincidence? Great timing for this poll question by Anonymous
Collapse

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Other Jun 16, 2015

As long as my old software is working, I am usually reluctant to accept any so-called "upgrades", as they invariably tend to involve time lost that would be more productively spent actually working. Especially anything that involves a learning curve, or changing the way key functions are performed.

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
As infrequently as possible Jun 16, 2015

It's not the cost, it's the time to get used to the new version

Billh
Billh
Local time: 11:48
Spanish to English
+ ...
The only CAT tool I have ever used Jun 16, 2015

is located somewhere between my ears and upgrades itself constantly.......

Yetta Jensen Bogarde
Yetta Jensen Bogarde  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2012)
English to Danish
+ ...
when there is a new version Jun 16, 2015

Wordfast PRO notifies you and you just click a couple of buttons and it is all updated for free.

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Same here. :) Jun 16, 2015

Yetta J Bogarde wrote:

Wordfast PRO notifies you and you just click a couple of buttons and it is all updated for free.

Jaime Oriard
Jaime Oriard  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 04:48
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
When SP1 is released. Jun 16, 2015

I upgrade to other Service Packs when I don't have a large job.

Ventnai
Ventnai  Identity Verified
Spain
German to English
+ ...
Annoyed Jun 16, 2015

It annoys me when a company brings out a new version of their software after bringing out a new version only the year before. Seems that they are only interested in cash.

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:48
English to Spanish
+ ...
The only tool Jun 16, 2015

Billh wrote:

is located somewhere between my ears and upgrades itself constantly.......

In that case, it's a BAT tool (brain-assisted tool).

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
A bit about software development cycles Jun 16, 2015

It's no secret that software companies make most of their money by releasing new versions with arguably new features, and by selling licenses or seats, rather than just one program.

I stayed with Trados 2007 for as long as I could (mid 2012, I think). Then, an ongoing yearly project and a new important customer (by then using Trados 2011) forced me to go to 2014. Now, nobody forced me to do anything, it was circumstances that pushed me to upgrade.

Kudos to Atril, which
... See more
It's no secret that software companies make most of their money by releasing new versions with arguably new features, and by selling licenses or seats, rather than just one program.

I stayed with Trados 2007 for as long as I could (mid 2012, I think). Then, an ongoing yearly project and a new important customer (by then using Trados 2011) forced me to go to 2014. Now, nobody forced me to do anything, it was circumstances that pushed me to upgrade.

Kudos to Atril, which releases new versions with significant and useful improvements. Any incremental improvements are done GRATIS via free updates.

After spending about $700 on two licenses of Adobe Creative Standard Suite CS5.5 (PC and Mac) with student discount, I had to jump the gun and purchase the CS6 version for Windows (a $400 expense) because a regular client's customer had decided to go from CS3 to CS6. And I'm the one doing their Burmese typesetting.

We translators using CAT or TEnT tools are a captive customer base if we are not careful. For other utilities, such as folder copying, computer drive monitoring or font management, I keep the programs for as long as I can, unless there is an OS incompatibility.
Collapse

Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
With all the problems and bugs posted every day... Jun 16, 2015

(there are more posts, journal articles and blog posts about CAT tool problems than actual translation and terminology issues), I really wonder why people even bother. Life is so much simpler without them.

I try to stay out of the CAT box and off the HAMPsTeR* wheel as much as possible.

*Human Assisted Machine Pseudo-Translation

[Edited at 2015-06-16 20:54 GMT]

Marianela Melleda
Marianela Melleda  Identity Verified
Chile
English to Spanish
+ ...
The "agree" button is missing Jun 17, 2015

If there were an "agree" button, I had clicked it on Billh´s and Jeff Whittaker´s comments.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: How often do you upgrade your CAT tool?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »