Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: In what language was the last book you read for pleasure/leisure written?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:12
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Source - English May 31, 2015

At least 95% of my reading is in my native language, English, but I have also read books in Russian (target), German, French and Spanish. I first came across one of my favourite books, The Good Soldier Svejk, in German (Der Brave Soldat Svejk).
I enjoy literary translation best, and it is a pleasure to translate a book I really enjoy in the original into English. I am translating a series of science fiction novels at present, and I think it is a really interesting and rewarding job to turn
... See more
At least 95% of my reading is in my native language, English, but I have also read books in Russian (target), German, French and Spanish. I first came across one of my favourite books, The Good Soldier Svejk, in German (Der Brave Soldat Svejk).
I enjoy literary translation best, and it is a pleasure to translate a book I really enjoy in the original into English. I am translating a series of science fiction novels at present, and I think it is a really interesting and rewarding job to turn them into natural-sounding English which I hope no-one would ever realize is a translation.
Collapse

Michelle McBride
Michelle McBride  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:12
Japanese to English
English / Japanese Jun 1, 2015

Tend to read in English, unless it is by Japanese author.

Presently enjoying Arnaldur Indrioason, the Icelandic crime fiction writer, translated in English.
I was reminded of the time when Peter Hoeg's original English translated book 'Miss Smilla's Feeling for Snow' was released in the US as 'Smilla's Sense of Snow' and the flurry of articles discussing the difference in the translations. I wondered the same for Icelandic as well as it's a place I've been wanting to visit & l
... See more
Tend to read in English, unless it is by Japanese author.

Presently enjoying Arnaldur Indrioason, the Icelandic crime fiction writer, translated in English.
I was reminded of the time when Peter Hoeg's original English translated book 'Miss Smilla's Feeling for Snow' was released in the US as 'Smilla's Sense of Snow' and the flurry of articles discussing the difference in the translations. I wondered the same for Icelandic as well as it's a place I've been wanting to visit & learn more about.

For pleasure, I read Japanese crime mysteries in the original - old school like Matsumoto Seicho, Morimura Seiichi and popular authors such as Higashino Keigo, Yokoyama Hideo etc.
Collapse

Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz
Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 22:12
English to Polish
+ ...
... Jun 9, 2015

English.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: In what language was the last book you read for pleasure/leisure written?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »