Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: Which services do you offer apart from translation, interpreting and proofreading?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
May 22, 2015

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Which services do you offer apart from translation, interpreting and proofreading?".

This poll was originally submitted by Angus Stewart. View the poll results »

Mary Worby
Mary Worby  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:30
German to English
+ ...
Just translation May 22, 2015

No interpreting, proof-reading only at a pinch!

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 03:30
Spanish to English
+ ...
Other May 22, 2015

Used to do a bit of TEFL teaching or coaching, but nowadays I rarely accept this type of work. I haven't done any voiceover work for ages either, but I might still be up for it if the circumstances were right.
I haven't done any interpreting since a film festival in 2008, which was fun, so I'd also be up for something like that if the occasion arose, depending on the pay and conditions, etc.

Angus Stewart
Angus Stewart  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
French to English
+ ...
Abstracting May 22, 2015

Abstracting was a service I had experience of in my previous career, so I decided to offer it alongside translation. I did consider doing some teaching as well, but so far I haven't been able to find a suitable opening for it.

Simon Bruni
Simon Bruni  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Spanish to English
I do wish we'd stop calling it "proofreading" May 22, 2015

It's not proofreading! When was the last time a translator prepared a "proof" for publication? Call it editing, copyediting, revising, correcting, anything but "proofreading"

Luca Tutino

Oliver Lawrence
Oliver Lawrence  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
+ ...
Copywriting and teaching May 22, 2015

And I agree with Simon.

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Agree May 22, 2015

Simon Bruni wrote:

I do wish we'd stop calling it "proofreading"

But I don't think "we" do. I suspect it's one of those US/UK things like "on the weekend" that eventually you find yourself saying and have to give up fighting...

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Some monolingual services May 22, 2015

I do actually do some 'real' proofreading, but I agree that it's a very overworked word. Presented with two texts, and being asked to check that the correct meaning has been transferred - no way is that proofreading. Even a lot of my monolingual work goes beyond proofreading, as most has been written by non-native speakers of English. But I do do some pre-publication proofreading.

I accept various other monolingual English jobs: revising marketing copy is a favourite, but also a sma
... See more
I do actually do some 'real' proofreading, but I agree that it's a very overworked word. Presented with two texts, and being asked to check that the correct meaning has been transferred - no way is that proofreading. Even a lot of my monolingual work goes beyond proofreading, as most has been written by non-native speakers of English. But I do do some pre-publication proofreading.

I accept various other monolingual English jobs: revising marketing copy is a favourite, but also a small amount of transcription work as a complete change once in a while. Business English training was my first love but rates locally are abysmal so I've stopped for the moment.
Collapse

Domenico Trimboli
Domenico Trimboli  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
Transcreation May 22, 2015

And I always try to avoid proofreading/editing projects. Only do them for long-term clients...

Tania McConaghy
Tania McConaghy  Identity Verified
Sweden
Member (2009)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Text localisation, comparative review, cognitive debriefing interviews May 22, 2015

Apart from translation and editing/revising, I also do some text localisation (adaptation from EN-US to EN-AU... this could perhaps be classified as translation), comparative review (comparison of source and backtranslation) and so-called cognitive debriefing interviews (part of the linguistic validation process for patient reported outcomes questionnaires).

[Edited at 2015-05-22 10:04 GMT]

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 22:30
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
Some of the above May 22, 2015

Subtitling - Actually a wider range of video services...

• Translation for dubbing OR subtitling.
  • Dubbing outsourced with a large world-class studio
  • Complete in-house subtitling services
  • Interactive DVD authoring
  • Video editing, limited to localization purposes
Subtitling - Actually a wider range of video services...

• Translation for dubbing OR subtitling.
  • Dubbing outsourced with a large world-class studio
  • Complete in-house subtitling services
  • Interactive DVD authoring
  • Video editing, limited to localization purposes

Transcription - However outrageously expensive on purpose. It takes me as much time as translating directly for dub/sub-bing, yet some clients insist in having it.

Teaching/training - I translate EN-PT; my wife is an ESL teacher. Strictly enforced house rule: I don't teach; she doesn't translate. However until 2000 I doubled as translator and HRD consultant/trainer; could do it again, if requested.

DTP with translation:
  • From scratch/hard copy/"dead" (scanned) PDF into a "live" translated PDF - using PageMaker
  • From a "live" PDF into a translated "live" PDF - using Infix Pro

Sworn translation & interpreting - regulated by law in Brazil, some 3,500 people are licensed to do it in the entire country. ▲ Collapse

•  
    Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
    Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
    Portugal
    Member (2007)
    English to Portuguese
    + ...
    Translation (mainly) May 22, 2015

+ revising + transcreation

Anthony Baldwin
    Anthony Baldwin  Identity Verified
    United States
    Local time: 21:30
    Portuguese to English
    + ...
    what about May 22, 2015

* interpreting;
    * software & web localization;
    * design, development, and hosting of multilingual websites;
    * software development.

I used to offer English/ESL tutoring/teaching, and used to teach Spanish, too, but no longer do these.

Thayenga
    Thayenga  Identity Verified
    Germany
    Member (2009)
    English to German
    + ...
    :) May 22, 2015

Translation of subtitles and/or for dubbing, transcription, and creative writing. And, as some of you already know (thank you), training, and also teaching.

[Edited at 2015-05-22 10:25 GMT]

Jose Arnoldo Rodriguez-Carrington
    Jose Arnoldo Rodriguez-Carrington  Identity Verified
    Mexico
    Local time: 19:30
    English to Spanish
    + ...
    I agree too. May 22, 2015

Simon Bruni wrote:

It's not proofreading! When was the last time a translator prepared a "proof" for publication? Call it editing, copyediting, revising, correcting, anything but "proofreading"

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
    Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Which services do you offer apart from translation, interpreting and proofreading?

Wordfast Pro
    Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
    Protemos translation business management system
    Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »