Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: Have you ever been unable to complete a job due to a software malfunction?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
Go! Go! Go! May 18, 2015

José, as you can see, on and off most translators also have some computer-related troubles (including software/OS), yet the problem really is usually THERE'S NO TIME TO WASTE! That's why we try to diversify and mitigate possible risks) On the other hand, not long ago a friend of mine dropped her notebook and a few week she had plenty of 'software issues', although it was rather a HDD hardware problem, but who cares? She just saw there was a problem with logon--she solved it, there was a problem... See more
José, as you can see, on and off most translators also have some computer-related troubles (including software/OS), yet the problem really is usually THERE'S NO TIME TO WASTE! That's why we try to diversify and mitigate possible risks) On the other hand, not long ago a friend of mine dropped her notebook and a few week she had plenty of 'software issues', although it was rather a HDD hardware problem, but who cares? She just saw there was a problem with logon--she solved it, there was a problem with a swap file--she solved it, there were problems with some drivers and installations--she solved it, there were some other minor conflicts--she almost solved it, the HDD worked strangely with frequent slowdowns--she desperately tried to solve it, the BSOD kept her sad--she couldn't solve it, until she got 'SMART is BAD', but couldn't access the HDD any longer. Therefore, she just wasted two weeks and lost even more (both time and cash).

Another working PC may be the best answer, you see? Shortly, such a mitigating approach did work for me and some others, but you are right for it's not a snake oil "cure-it-all". So I consider a virtual machines too. Yet if the question is more about CAT's, then there were rather many cases when I was unable even to start a job due to software requirements, such as very specific 'custom' software, which works under a very specific OS of a specific build with specific patches and updates or requires to remove/downgrade some 'conflicting' software...
Collapse

Alexandra Speirs
Alexandra Speirs  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:07
Italian to English
+ ...
delayed yes May 18, 2015

Just last week I was delayed because the Studio package sent by the agency had an error. When I shut down the file and tried to reopen it later, or next day, it gave an error and there was nothing I could do with it. I had to send it back to the agency and get them to fix it.
Of course this was a huge job that took 4 or 5 days, so you can imagine the fun I had .... and over the weekend there was nobody at the agency to fix it.

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:07
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Almost May 18, 2015

One time recently my computer konked out on me while I was working, before I could save a copy of the file to work from. My genius tech was able to get it started again in time.

Two years ago my previous desktop crashed irretrievably thanks to some malware that I picked up when I thought I was installing Adobe. That time I had a copy of my work and was able to continue on another computer.

Bottom line: I have had my share of software malfunctions, but I was never *unabl
... See more
One time recently my computer konked out on me while I was working, before I could save a copy of the file to work from. My genius tech was able to get it started again in time.

Two years ago my previous desktop crashed irretrievably thanks to some malware that I picked up when I thought I was installing Adobe. That time I had a copy of my work and was able to continue on another computer.

Bottom line: I have had my share of software malfunctions, but I was never *unable* to deliver a job, and I was never late.
Collapse

Ivan Czar
Ivan Czar  Identity Verified
Hungary
Local time: 00:07
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Almost May 18, 2015

I had several cases when my softwares stopped working and I was really close to asking deadline extension, however I always found a workaround. Since then I have 2 separate backups in every hour and backup computer preinstalled and ready to go.

I had one particular project when I had to write a small program in Visual Basic to monkey around with the files as some software mixed up the accents and diacronics and extract the translatable bits and later to inject back the translated bi
... See more
I had several cases when my softwares stopped working and I was really close to asking deadline extension, however I always found a workaround. Since then I have 2 separate backups in every hour and backup computer preinstalled and ready to go.

I had one particular project when I had to write a small program in Visual Basic to monkey around with the files as some software mixed up the accents and diacronics and extract the translatable bits and later to inject back the translated bits. (character coding issue with messed up XML structure)
Collapse

Russell Jones
Russell Jones  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:07
Italian to English
A couple of close shaves May 18, 2015

A few years ago my broadband connection failed for several days (eventually traced to a neighbour's overflow dripping boiling hot water on the cable and melting the sheath). Internet resources were essential, so I took a disc to our local public library to finish the job and sent it from there.

On another occasion I got a dreaded blue screen. A local IT repair man managed to recover my file and I finished the job on my wife's laptop.

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 19:07
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Of course, I've had software issues May 21, 2015

but I never ever failed to deliver a translation. If the software doesn't work, I will deliver a regular DOC file with the translation, but never blame the software and not do the job.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Have you ever been unable to complete a job due to a software malfunction?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »