Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: Do you charge extra for files with formatting issues (images with text, etc.)?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Yaotl Altan
Yaotl Altan  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 10:52
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Yes May 12, 2015

At thr end of the project, when invoicing, I set a special adjustment.

Jaime Oriard
Jaime Oriard  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 10:52
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Never "adjust" text for free May 12, 2015

If I need to create a bilingual table, change type sizes, OCR a scanned document, extract text form a PDF, or otherwise modify the source or target files in any way, I charge my standard DTP rates for the work required.

My translation rate only includes translating an editable source file.

I might do an exception for regular clients provided the work doesn't take me more than 10 min.

Maxi Schwarz
Maxi Schwarz  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:52
German to English
+ ...
Don't know how to answer May 12, 2015

We derive our fee based on the whole of the work involved. So there is no "extra". (?)

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:52
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Yes - expansion factor May 13, 2015

My two most regular clients allow for an "expansion factor"of 20% for Excel and PPT files. I never see PDF files because they convert them beforehand.

With my other clients, I charge 10% more for PDF, and I would charge 20% extra for a PPT file. Depending on the project I might or might not charge for Excel files, but I don't think they are nearly as hard as PPTs.

For uneditable graphs, one of my clients prepares a table with the source text phrases on the left, and all
... See more
My two most regular clients allow for an "expansion factor"of 20% for Excel and PPT files. I never see PDF files because they convert them beforehand.

With my other clients, I charge 10% more for PDF, and I would charge 20% extra for a PPT file. Depending on the project I might or might not charge for Excel files, but I don't think they are nearly as hard as PPTs.

For uneditable graphs, one of my clients prepares a table with the source text phrases on the left, and all I have to do is fill in the right-hand column. With other clients, if they don't want to make tables, I will do it but charge them for creating the table and filling in the source text.

Fortunately, I haven't had to do very many formulas.
Collapse

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 13:52
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Yes I do, May 21, 2015

But I always warn the client in advance, when I submit my quote, that non-editable formats and files like image/scanned PDFs will cost more, and the deadline has to be posponed as well.

Of course, anything that cannot be used in your CAT and will have to be typed 100 times MUST cost more.

Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz
Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 17:52
English to Polish
+ ...
I don't do formatting Jun 9, 2015

I might up the rate on account of text structure or particularly diverse typography (some lawyers use bold, italic and underline quite a lot, which is quite painful to translate from a PDF file but even in Trados), but I just don't do formatting.

I find too much emphasis on formatting to be incompatible with the dignity of a learned profession that's on par with doctors, lawyers, architects etc.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you charge extra for files with formatting issues (images with text, etc.)?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »