Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: Do you feel threatened by machine translation?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Al Zaid
Al Zaid
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
The threat is not MT itself... May 4, 2015

...but the way it is regarded by people outside the translation industry.
I've even heard some translation college "professors" (people who don't actually translate for a living) heighten the so-called advantages of MT.
I'm not saying it's totally useless; on the contrary, it may serve in some contexts, but NEVER without human intervention. Sometimes the results are so pitiful that it's better to start the whole thing from scratch.

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Yes May 4, 2015

MT might have its shortcomings but it is only going to get better and it already seems to be driving down translation prices.

Even though I am the Michelangelo of translators, I'm not at all sure MT plus a decent editor couldn't already produce similar levels of quality more quickly and cheaply.

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:02
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
NO May 4, 2015

Especially since I deal with a lot of paper documents either on actual paper or in .pdf format. Plus the direct clients I have fully realize the unique value of my product.

I do think that MT will probably continue to stimulate business for human translators. Of course they will have to be good, because their product must be superior to MT and some are not up to snuff.

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:02
English to Spanish
+ ...
Michelangelo? May 4, 2015

Chris S wrote:

MT might have its shortcomings but it is only going to get better and it already seems to be driving down translation prices.

Even though I am the Michelangelo of translators, I'm not at all sure MT plus a decent editor couldn't already produce similar levels of quality more quickly and cheaply.

Hahahah. Don't flatter yourself.

Where do you get that MT is going to get better? Facts, please, not hearsay.

Translation prices are being driven down not by MT but by global economic forces. If MT were the main driver of the downward pressure on translation rates, how come only large corporations and organizations can afford it?

Facts, m'am, just the facts.

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:02
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Good comment, Mario! May 5, 2015

Mario Chavez wrote:

Translation prices are being driven down not by MT but by global economic forces. If MT were the main driver of the downward pressure on translation rates, how come only large corporations and organizations can afford it?

Facts, m'am, just the facts.

Right on. If anything, CAT tools play a larger role in reducing rates than MT. But it's really outside economic forces, and people willing to work for peanuts, that drive them down.

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:02
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
More on MT May 5, 2015

Following on my earlier summary of the quality of MT, I'd like to also say that I think MT has found its niche. For the most part, it is being used in places where translators would not want to work anyway, as in producing widget manuals for simultaneous multiple-market launches. Or scanning massive technical reports. All statistics indicate that the market for regular translation is growing.

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
@Mario May 5, 2015

Mario Chavez wrote:

Translation prices are being driven down not by MT but by global economic forces.

Of course it's going to get better. That's not hearsay, it's logic. Good luck finding some "facts" proving that it won't - or that anything at all will or will not happen in the future.

I'd love to know how global economic forces can pull down prices for translation in my languages. The number of competent translators hasn't grown, so it must be the machines.

Yaotl Altan
Yaotl Altan  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 00:02
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Exactly. May 5, 2015

Chris S wrote:

Mario Chavez wrote:

Translation prices are being driven down not by MT but by global economic forces.

Of course it's going to get better. That's not hearsay, it's logic. Good luck finding some "facts" proving that it won't - or that anything at all will or will not happen in the future.

I'd love to know how global economic forces can pull down prices for translation in my languages. The number of competent translators hasn't grown, so it must be the machines.

No MT in our profession would imply the need of more human translations.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you feel threatened by machine translation?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »