Poll: Are you the main breadwinner in your household?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Apr 26, 2015

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Are you the main breadwinner in your household?".

View the poll results »

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 07:11
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Yes! Apr 26, 2015

Translation allowed me to support myself (I'm a widow) and raise my three kids on my own (they are all grown up now and left home). As I haven’t married again since the last time I answered this same question, I’ll keep being my main and only bre... See more
Translation allowed me to support myself (I'm a widow) and raise my three kids on my own (they are all grown up now and left home). As I haven’t married again since the last time I answered this same question, I’ll keep being my main and only breadwinner…

http://www.proz.com/forum/poll_discussion/273931-poll_are_you_the_main_breadwinner_in_your_home.html
http://www.proz.com/forum/poll_discussion/250159-poll_are_you_the_main_breadwinner_in_your_home.html
http://www.proz.com/forum/poll_discussion/223951-poll_are_you_the_main_breadwinner_in_your_home.html
http://www.proz.com/forum/poll_discussion/196030-poll_are_you_the_sole_breadwinner_in_your_household.html
http://www.proz.com/forum/poll_discussion/110683-poll_are_you_the_sole_breadwinner_in_your_family.html
Collapse

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:11
English to Spanish
+ ...
Slow Sunday, isn't it? Apr 26, 2015

Isn't the word breadwinner a tad obsolete?

And how is this poll related to the activities of a translator or an interpreter?

Mario Chavez (X)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Kudos, Teresa Apr 26, 2015

You have more patience with this IQ-lowering silliness.

I'm wondering now if the Proz system just cranks up repeat polls when no one (no human) submits a poll within a set period of time.

And we thought videogames dulled the mind...

[Edited at 2015-04-26 08:39 GMT]

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:11
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Like Teresa Apr 26, 2015

Translation has been my sole source of support since my husband died in 1979. I have had various dogs and cats, but none of them contributed to our household income--unless you count my dog Sunshine's babysitting stint keeping company for a Maltese with separation anxiety at 25 cents an hour.

Mario Chavez (X)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Cats are good secretaries Apr 26, 2015

Muriel Vasconcellos wrote:

Translation has been my sole source of support since my husband died in 1979. I have had various dogs and cats, but none of them contributed to our household income--unless you count my dog Sunshine's babysitting stint keeping company for a Maltese with separation anxiety at 25 cents an hour.

When I had Garabato, my cat, he was happy to hold these duties:

a) Check the fluffiness of dictionary pages
b) Verify the travel distance for pushing keys on the keyboard
c) Audible signals for breaks
d) Leg warmer in winter
e) Check for proper cooling in laser printers

He was an amazing paid intern.

Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Well... Apr 26, 2015

Muriel Vasconcellos wrote:

My dog being extremely jealous of other dogs, whether they are big or small, I can’t unfortunately count on her bringing any extra income by babysitting…

Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
That's my impression... Apr 26, 2015

Mario Chavez wrote:

I'm wondering now if the Proz system just cranks up repeat polls when no one (no human) submits a poll within a set period of time.

[Edited at 2015-04-26 08:39 GMT]

Charlie Bavington
Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
French to English
Site members' roles Apr 26, 2015

Mario Chavez wrote:

Isn't the word breadwinner a tad obsolete?

And how is this poll related to the activities of a translator or an interpreter?

As someone who, perhaps wrongly, has the impression many site members are part-timers or supplementing other household income, I'm interested to see if that is true.

Running repeat polls can show if the situation is changing over time.

That said, I suspect running the poll on a Sunday is likely to skew the "yes" vote. If those who translate to supplement household income ("no" voters) were to take any day off, surely the chances are high that day would be Sunday?

Mario Chavez (X)
English to Spanish
+ ...
If the situation is changing over time Apr 26, 2015

There are better ways to study the situation of the main income earner over time. Running the same silly poll over and over is neither useful nor statistically meaningful.

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 08:11
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Other Apr 26, 2015

Just to be different, I'm the main taxpayer.

I have never managed to earn more than my husbband - as an immigrant with a qualification that was not in demand, I ended up doing odd semi-skilled jobs and supplementing my education for many years.

Now my husband has retired, I am legally responsible for 'supporting' him. That means his pension is docked if I earn more than a certain modest level, bringing my effective tax up over 70% for my earnings above that level...
... See more
Just to be different, I'm the main taxpayer.

I have never managed to earn more than my husbband - as an immigrant with a qualification that was not in demand, I ended up doing odd semi-skilled jobs and supplementing my education for many years.

Now my husband has retired, I am legally responsible for 'supporting' him. That means his pension is docked if I earn more than a certain modest level, bringing my effective tax up over 70% for my earnings above that level...

Ah, the joys of the welfare state! We can't complain, but wealth tax on my pay seems a bit steep. If I don't retire for a few more years I can draw a marginally higher pension than my husband does... and the level of taxation will drop by half.

It's a good thing I like my work...
Collapse

Vanda Nissen
Vanda Nissen  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 16:11
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
Indeed Apr 26, 2015

Ah, the joys of the welfare state!

It's a good thing I like my work...

Danish system indeed doesn't encourage people to earn more. You really need to be passionate about your work.

We both work as translators, my husband makes more money though, mainly because it is easier to get higher rates with Danish than with Russian:). Another reason is he is good at technical translations.

David Wright
David Wright  Identity Verified
Austria
Local time: 08:11
German to English
+ ...
Other Apr 27, 2015

My partner wins her bread (and wine) and I win my bread (and beer). Whether one of us is the main bread/wine/beerwinner probably varies from month to month. The ones who gain (rather than just win) are the dog and the cats, who don't care who is the dog/catfoodwinner as long as there is someone there to open the can.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Are you the main breadwinner in your household?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »