Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: Do you prefer proofreading or translating?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
LilianNekipelov
LilianNekipelov  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:43
Russian to English
+ ...
Proofreading or editing is really hard Apr 24, 2015

because you are not supposed to change the style or even change anything without the author's consent, at the same time correcting the text.

Anne-Carine Zimmer
Anne-Carine Zimmer  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2004)
German to English
+ ...
translating only Apr 24, 2015

I am a perfectionist - which usually works well for translating, but creates a major obstacle for proofreading...
But I like working with a proofreader who is interested in considering/discussing various options - which leads to the best possible solutions in my opinion.

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:43
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Satisfaction Apr 25, 2015

One more point: People love to have their work translated, but they hate to be edited. With editing (proofreading), one is always in the position of correcting someone else's language. They don't like it, and I don't like to be there.

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 02:43
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
The way I started, and they way some agencies still try to go Apr 25, 2015

Mario Chavez wrote:

The ideal business model would be to have inexperienced translators and proofers start by reviewing experienced translators' work, all of that while being supervised and mentored by on-site or off-site expert translators. That way, the translations going to a reviewer outside of the agency would be cleaner and easier to handle...and less costly all around. And we wouldn't have so many jaded colleagues.

Of course, this business model, this way of doing things, requires a long-term outlook and commitment, not the Yankee Doodle do-it-for-the-money way of doing things, which is short-term, miopic and ineffective.

Think about it.

It takes some energetic supervision to keep the inexperienced proofreaders from sabotaging the work of experienced translators, and proofreaders should always make a note of the successful sections of the text too - and comment to the translator.

'I added a suggestion here and there, but the way you solved the problem with the XXX was really neat!'

That was what made me so grateful especially to one of my early mentors - he really made the effort to tell me what was good, what was OK but with room for improvement, and how to avoid some of the pitfalls.

It makes criticism a positive experience, because it is constructive, and we all know at times that there are better ways of putting things - we just can't think of them all.

He built up my self confidence - and showed me what I had to be self confident about! He was a highly respected university teacher too.

All the best with your prospective university post, Mario!

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you prefer proofreading or translating?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »