Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4 5] >
Poll: Are you satisfied with your income as a freelance translator/interpreter?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Apr 21, 2015

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Are you satisfied with your income as a freelance translator/interpreter?".

This poll was originally submitted by Witold Chocholski. View the poll results »

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 03:20
Spanish to English
+ ...
Yes, somewhat Apr 21, 2015

Although after keeping my fees at turn-of-the-century rates for seven years now since the start of the economic crisis, I am now trying to raise them, especially for new clients. The cost of living is rising and I need to keep up.

Michael Harris
Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 03:20
Member (2006)
German to English
Income, yes Apr 21, 2015

pretty much.

It is just the tax office and the health service payments that I dislike!! But who does?

Armorel Young
Armorel Young  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:20
German to English
The problem is the exchange rate Apr 21, 2015

I was extremely happy with my income until the fall in the value of the euro (I live in the UK but earn 99% of my income in euros), which means that I now earn considerably less for the same volume of work than I did a couple of years ago.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 02:20
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Yes, somewhat! Apr 21, 2015

If one can ignore the ups and downs that freelancing inevitably brings…

Susana Magnani
Susana Magnani  Identity Verified
Argentina
Spanish to English
+ ...
Somewhat... Apr 21, 2015

Teresa Borges wrote:

If one can ignore the ups and downs that freelancing inevitably brings…

I'd be happier if I could keep a constant flow of work, rather than having peaks and valleys... but, all in all, I can't complain

Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:20
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
I just raised my rates for 2015... Apr 21, 2015

... so we will see what happens.

Anthony Baldwin
Anthony Baldwin  Identity Verified
United States
Portuguese to English
+ ...
My income would be fine Apr 21, 2015

if my outgo didn't keep growing...

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
Income: In it comes...out it goes Apr 21, 2015

I'm satisfied that I have an income thanks to a sustainable business model. The income could be larger, of course.

On a related note, would I be on Proz if I were extremely satisfied with my income? No. Then again, I'm here for the polls.

Triston Goodwin
Triston Goodwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:20
Spanish to English
+ ...
No! Apr 21, 2015

I only have one car, no Xbox One, no Playstation 4, and I am in desperate need of a new video card for my gaming computer...

Not to mention the total lack of furniture in our new house!

Seriously, though, I promised my wife that we would be millionaires by the time we turned 30. My 28th birthday is next week, and we're still about a million dollars short of the goal.

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
Seriously Apr 21, 2015

Triston Goodwin wrote:

I only have one car, no Xbox One, no Playstation 4, and I am in desperate need of a new video card for my gaming computer...

Seriously, though, I promised my wife that we would be millionaires by the time we turned 30. My 28th birthday is next week, and we're still about a million dollars short of the goal.

Did your wife marry you on the strength of that promise? Sorry, it had to be asked

Hopefully, you guys have IKEA nearby.

Triston Goodwin
Triston Goodwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:20
Spanish to English
+ ...
I had to double check... Apr 21, 2015

Mario Chavez wrote:

Triston Goodwin wrote:

Did your wife marry you on the strength of that promise? Sorry, it had to be asked

Hopefully, you guys have IKEA nearby.

She said no, that she only married me because of my physique and charm - two more things I've lost since becoming a freelancer.

DianeGM
DianeGM  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:20
Member (2006)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Yes ... Apr 22, 2015

If I just look at the bottom line then I think I'm somewhat satisfied ...

But it is not just the bottom line that matters to me.
What I can do with the time and money I have also matters to me and some things are just priceless: I do something I love, when I arrive at my computer at the time that I choose no-one is checking their watch or checking out what I am wearing, what I drive, etc. and there is never anyone standing over shoulder telling me to do something in a way I d
... See more
If I just look at the bottom line then I think I'm somewhat satisfied ...

But it is not just the bottom line that matters to me.
What I can do with the time and money I have also matters to me and some things are just priceless: I do something I love, when I arrive at my computer at the time that I choose no-one is checking their watch or checking out what I am wearing, what I drive, etc. and there is never anyone standing over shoulder telling me to do something in a way I don't think is correct or asking if I've finished X yet, etc.
If I add into the mix that I have never had to miss any of the important milestones I'm my kids' lives, or their sailing races, football games, etc., that I can go off sailing on a Tuesday,when there's perfect weather for it, I can stay out late for dinner with friends on a Thursday because I have flexibility in my schedule on Friday.
If I had to put a dollar value on those things I'd have to say that I'm definitely satisfied.

[Edited at 2015-04-22 05:46 GMT]
Collapse

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:20
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Somewhat Apr 22, 2015

If you had asked me 18 months ago, I would have said I was VERY satisfied. Since then, my three main clients have *dropped* their rates. I definitely see that some of the higher rates getting whittled down. Four colleagues have had similar experiences. For a while I held my ground, but after one client didn't send me anything for a couple of months I inquired and was told that they would give me more work if I dropped my rate, which I agreed to do. With another one I have a contract for x cents ... See more
If you had asked me 18 months ago, I would have said I was VERY satisfied. Since then, my three main clients have *dropped* their rates. I definitely see that some of the higher rates getting whittled down. Four colleagues have had similar experiences. For a while I held my ground, but after one client didn't send me anything for a couple of months I inquired and was told that they would give me more work if I dropped my rate, which I agreed to do. With another one I have a contract for x cents a word, and they asked me to ignore the contract and accept x minus 3, which I refused to do. I still have plenty of work, but I'm working harder for less money.Collapse

Iouri Belov
Iouri Belov  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 04:20
English to Russian
+ ...
Not at all Apr 26, 2015

I live in a student room in Finland and with my earnings from translation I cannot pay even half of the rent for this room. To say nothing of food, clothes, etc. I do not have any other income. Since 2007, when I left my last full-time job, I have been living in poverty.

[Редактировалось 2015-04-26 18:22 GMT]

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4 5] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Are you satisfied with your income as a freelance translator/interpreter?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »