Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: There is no such thing as an easy translation job.
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 15:54
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
I know what you mean... Apr 13, 2015

Christine Andersen wrote:

Another example is the kind of text that is really well written - but a challenge to reproduce the style and elegance or impact in the target language. I regularly meet those, from one writer in particular.

Maybe there really is no such thing as an 'easy' translation. Some are just demanding, and some seem close to impossible!

However, I find some are definitely less demanding than others.

I translate regularly for a Portuguese weekly newspaper articles published in "The Economist". They are extremely well written and at first glance look easy to translate, but the big challenge is to strive to make it as readable as the original…

Paulo Celestino Guimaraes
Paulo Celestino Guimaraes  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 12:54
English to Portuguese
+ ...
I'll be the judge of that Apr 13, 2015

I couldn't agree more .. specially when one says text is easy, not too technical or simple ..this chasing for a lower rate.
Mario Chavez wrote:

That's what my French teacher used to say.

Now, whether a translation is easy or not is pretty subjective and, as such, a moot point. Naturally, any translator has the right to brag and say “it was an easy translation!” And, naturally, what worries us translators is the customer, project manager or clueless boss who says that a text is easy, not too technical or simple.

I guess we can confidently answer to the latter with a firm I'll be the judge of that, ok?

Because we are the ultimate judges of whether a text is easy to translate or not.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: There is no such thing as an easy translation job.

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »